Back to forum
rss 133 weeks ago
New Harry Potter WIP design based on the Triwizard Tournament from the 4th book. Still not sure about coloring but after a little more tweaking of some of the lines, i think i'll be ready to add some color. Thoughts? Opinions?

Photobucket
42Comments
    133 weeks ago
    Sorry the image is so big, just a click and you can see the whole thing
    133 weeks ago
    I think it looks good so far, can't wait to see a colored version!
    132 weeks ago
    Looking good, I love teh detail.
    132 weeks ago
    Thanks guys! I'm a little stuck on the coloring...but i'm playing around with it
    132 weeks ago
    It took me awhile to figure out that the ovals below the maze were the 'dragon eggs' won in the first challenge. I think the eggs in the movie had some detail at the bottom that wasn't included in the tee. Perhaps including the detail (I think it was a scallop in each section of the egg) would help to better identify the object? Just an idea.
    132 weeks ago
    I recognize the font, but I think it might work better if you used something different? Maybe if you came up with an original Old English-style font? A lot of work, but I think it would be greatly improved over the existing font.
    132 weeks ago
    MN_Vixen said: It took me awhile to figure out that the ovals below the maze were the 'dragon eggs' won in the first challenge. I think the eggs in the movie had some detail at the bottom that wasn't included in the tee. Perhaps including the detail (I think it was a scallop in each section of the egg) would help to better identify the object? Just an idea.
    The decoration you're referring to was on top, which is what is on the top of the eggs now. Hopefully it'll be more apparent with some color? There were some details on the gold in the movie but they're too faint to get a clear image of, let alone replicate :/

dmacias said: I recognize the font, but I think it might work better if you used something different? Maybe if you came up with an original Old English-style font? A lot of work, but I think it would be greatly improved over the existing font.
    Ok i'll experiment with the different font types. I'll try out a fancier calligraphic instead of the Harry Potter font.
    132 weeks ago
    Ok here it is in B/W with fixed lettering:
    Photobucket

and here it is with my mock coloring job. it's done very roughly as just kind of an idea of what i might want the colors to look like:
    Photobucket
    132 weeks ago
    It's looking great so far! The dragons are awesome and the colors look good!

I do have to say that I think I prefer the Harry Potter font you had originally, simply because it really reminds me of the kind of T-shirt you would get after having attended the event, somehow that font really looks more like the kind of font that would have been on an event shirt in 1994 more so than the new one does. If that makes any sense at all lol.
    132 weeks ago
    i love it you should submit it
    132 weeks ago
    Definitely a good move dumping the HP font, as that would be overkill and frankly, it's not a very attractive font haha. But, I think the new type could still use some work as well. It still gives the feel of being very machine/computer made, while the rest of your design is very organic and hand-drawn.

Other than that, nice job! I love the concept :)
    132 weeks ago
    chirmer said: Definitely a good move dumping the HP font, as that would be overkill and frankly, it's not a very attractive font haha. But, I think the new type could still use some work as well. It still gives the feel of being very machine/computer made, while the rest of your design is very organic and hand-drawn.

Other than that, nice job! I love the concept :)

YES! "organic" That's what I was trying to get across, but failed at!
    132 weeks ago
    Ok i vectorized it in illustrator using the pen tool and colored it so now the lines should be nice and straight and smooth:
    Photobucket

But now my next question is how do i save the image so it stays all nice and vectorized without rasterizing? As a png?
    132 weeks ago
    nope, as adobe illustrator artwork (.ai) ... illustrators very own file format (png is rasterized just as well, won't help much) ai. is pretty much industry standard,

TeeFury will know how to handle it in case your design gets chosen, don't worry

if you wanna make mockup images, simply export what you need as bmp, png or psd and throw together the mockup in photoshop

the .ai: just keep this file (it's easily editable and doesn't require much hard disk space) and send it out when you're asked to do so

132 weeks ago
    kgullholmen said: nope, as adobe illustrator artwork (.ai) ... illustrators very own file format (png is rasterized just as well, won't help much) ai. is pretty much industry standard,

TeeFury will know how to handle it in case your design gets chosen, don't worry

if you wanna make mockup images, simply export what you need as bmp, png or psd and throw together the mockup in photoshop

the .ai: just keep this file (it's easily editable and doesn't require much hard disk space) and send it out when you're asked to do so

Ok so should i submit it as a png that looks pretty good, yet sort of rasterized? and then if they're interested i can resubmit as a different file type?
    132 weeks ago
    png or jpeg ... doesn't matter as long it's not compressed to death and looks presentable, because

you submit a preview of what your design would look like on a shirt, not the design itself. you know: placement, shirt colour ... maybe slapped on a close-up of the artwork, so TeeFury can see what they'd get. the TeeFury standard submission image size will pretty much limit you to these two things (artwork (in detail) + artwork on a shirt) so make them presentable (you're trying to sell the design to TeeFury, nothing else). there's shirt-mockup kits all over the internet, use them

if your artwork should get printed, TeeFury will approach you and will ask you kindly to upload your hi-res or vector files. and that's all there is to it

well ... layered colours and outlined fonts and stuff, but nothing unusual when it comes to making things print-ready
    132 weeks ago
    Oh wow i had no idea. I've just been submitting only my design, not the design on a mock-up shirt. Good to know! Thanks :D
    132 weeks ago
    Photobucket
    132 weeks ago
    It might be too late now for me to add my two cents, but I think the horns on the dragon's heads are really overwhelming and make the image kinda top heavy (plus, from a logistical perspective, it'd be tough for a dragon to fly with that). Plus you should see if you can add some white highlights on the eggs, the cup and the bottom of the flames, just for shading purposes to add some more depth to the image. I hope that helps, good luck.
    132 weeks ago
    Probably way-late... The lines are a little thin and don't vary in size enough. If you vary the thickness of your strokes the design will be that much more dynamic!

Side note- I almost always just submit my artwork without a shirt behind it.

I believe it was Costello who said - "You can submit your art on a cheeseburger if you want!" ... and I was very tempted to do so...

My friend Chuffy has a Shirt Mock-Up kit if you would like to use it? Just ask.
    132 weeks ago
    The actual cup itself doesn't just say "WIZ", it says "TRI - WIZ - ARD" and runs around the cup.

Pretty much all I have to say about this one.
    132 weeks ago
    Bregan1989 said: It might be too late now for me to add my two cents, but I think the horns on the dragon's heads are really overwhelming and make the image kinda top heavy (plus, from a logistical perspective, it'd be tough for a dragon to fly with that). Plus you should see if you can add some white highlights on the eggs, the cup and the bottom of the flames, just for shading purposes to add some more depth to the image. I hope that helps, good luck.
    The dragon horns are supposed to be there because it's a horned-tailed dragon. I based the image off of the actual dragon from the movie. Take that up with JKR. Plus, it's a dragon does logic actually have to appy to them? I might try to add some white in the cup to distinguish the divits in the cup.

JohnHouse said: The actual cup itself doesn't just say "WIZ", it says "TRI - WIZ - ARD" and runs around the cup.

I know that. But it looked awkward to have the Tri and ard on there, especially because they'd normally be at an angle. It wasn't worth adding to the design and having it look awkward.
    132 weeks ago
    It looks awkward WITH just the "wiz" on there. Any Potterhead worth their salt who would buy this ~knows~ what the Tri-Wizard Cup looks like. If you can't translate the cup as it is, then you're better off leaving the "wiz" off altogether and maybe adding some hatch lines to make the cup look like it's got depth.

I did some design for Potterheads re: crest logos and the robe patch crests (elsewhere online, not here). Trust me, they are looking for quality and they ~will~ know and wonder why you didn't bother creating the cup as it is. The design of the cup is already quite flat, so it's not going to hurt to put in the rest.
    132 weeks ago
    I agree - Wiz on its own looks weird. Its either the whole word or bust.

Also, still not sold on the font. I'd rather you hand-draw the font so that its not so recognizable. Immediately when I saw it, I thought "font" not what it was actually saying.

And I agree that the horn does look a tad out of proportion, but that is probably enhanced by the fact that it is not actually connected to the dragon head. Does it look weird connected?

Great work though!
    132 weeks ago
    The horn? It's the top of the second wing. I kept it disconnected so it didnt blend into his face.

I still disagree personally on the Tri and Ard, but i'll see what it looks like with it again since you're insisting. I dont see any need to add depth to the cup since it's a graphic logo that's supposed to be flat.

I've been busy with other things so i havent had time to experiment with the detail on the bottom of the cup like someone here suggested.

With the font, you think i should hand draw it? I dont really understand what you meant by just seeing "font".
  • Load More Comments