Back to forum
rss 132 weeks ago
Inspired by the upcoming movie, the Dark Knight Rises, i decided to give it a little spin of my own...The Dark Knight Rises...FROM THE GRAVE

Photobucket

Let me know what you think! Suggestions? I also considered adding text that says he Dark Knight Rises...FROM THE GRAVE but i'm not sure if that's too much.

Comments? Suggestions? Constructive feed back? General opinion?
22Comments
    132 weeks ago
    I've seen this and some of your other WIPs and I've gotta say, I love your style! It's a shame you haven't been printed yet...
    132 weeks ago
    Scafl said: I've seen this and some of your other WIPs and I've gotta say, I love your style! It's a shame you haven't been printed yet...

Thanks! :) haha i agree...
    132 weeks ago
    bump
    132 weeks ago
    I worked on it some more, made the lines a little crisper, and added the background color:
    Photobucket
    132 weeks ago
    Bump.

Nothing? No good or bad feedback?
    132 weeks ago
    I think its good, it just seems like it needs a little more going on.
    132 weeks ago
    It's awesome....I like the idea of adding the text, makes the joke more apparent
    132 weeks ago
    The bottom half looks a little Mignola-ish... maybe you could work on the rest of it to emulate more of that? If you like Mignola, that is. If not, then... man, I don't know what! That would be CRAZY to me!!!
    132 weeks ago
    dmacias said: The bottom half looks a little Mignola-ish... maybe you could work on the rest of it to emulate more of that? If you like Mignola, that is. If not, then... man, I don't know what! That would be CRAZY to me!!!
    I wasn't going for "Mignolaish" but i'll take that as a compliment! I really like his stuff! As for emulating his style more? Idk, i'd rather try to keep some of it more as my style.

Hdawger said: I think its good, it just seems like it needs a little more going on.

Ok! Maybe i'll add more graves? Or text

AnaLicious said: It's awesome....I like the idea of adding the text, makes the joke more apparent
    Ok I'll mock up some text and see how it looks with more in it.

Thanks for the Feedback!! :)
    132 weeks ago
    I'm sure you are toiling away at it, but yeah I think adding some more graves or some other background elements for depth would be good.
    132 weeks ago
    The Dark Knight of the Living Dead. Awesome
    132 weeks ago
    Hahah pretty neat design, he might be a little slim though but then the undead usually are :)
    132 weeks ago
    rasabi said: I'm sure you are toiling away at it, but yeah I think adding some more graves or some other background elements for depth would be good.
    I'm going to see what it looks like with more graves soon! I'm going to trace it in illustrator
    Malion said: The Dark Knight of the Living Dead. Awesome
    haha exactly :)

Fanboy30 said: Hahah pretty neat design, he might be a little slim though but then the undead usually are :)

Yeah i wanted him to look lanky and creepy
    132 weeks ago
    Ok i edited it some more. I completely traced it in illustrator, added another grave to balance the space and added a white outline to make it more visable against darker backgrounds that suit the tone of the shirt more.

Photobucket

sorry it's such a big image file
    132 weeks ago
    looks better. Looks WAY better actually. I dont know about the white outline, i thought it would look better if you'd thicken the black.

And a hole in the ground would be a nice touch, makes it look more like he's actually rising off the ground rather than just walking in a graveyard.
    132 weeks ago
    The background & his cape are too close in color. It just kind of blends in together. I really don't like the white outline. If you changed the background color he would pop more. I love the concept but it looks like he has to pee. I'm sorry but it does. I also think one tombstone would be better. Maybe do as noelpenn suggested & put a hole in the ground.
    132 weeks ago
    I used a white outline to make it easier to see the black because the background is darker and there's a lot of black. Thickening the black wouldn't change anything there. It's not really easy to add a hole now, but i think the whole rising from the grave thing is pretty obvious since he's a zombie and there's graves.

@nimawai. I will darken the background blue. I think it looks best on a navy tee or dark blue, but i can see it on different shirt colors. it's on redbubble so i cna play around with other colors too. With the gravestones, i think the second one adds more balance and most zombies look like they have to pee.
    132 weeks ago
    With a darker background which i like:
    Photobucket

Without a white outline which i don't really like as much:
    Photobucket
    132 weeks ago
    I definitely prefer it with the white outline, it makes the design look clearer and more professional.
    131 weeks ago
    Thanks! Yeah i think it makes it pop more
    131 weeks ago
    Becks I don't know if you remember back on your WIP for Chuck, I asked if you knew or used illustrator? Well this design of all the other ones looks like you used a professional program to clean up your already cool drawing style. and yes stick with the white outline. Personally I would have outlined batman as well to separate him from the tombstones.

This is your best yet. Until you learn to clean that Chuck drawing up the way you did this, than so far my opinion stands. I hope you get printed... because I love Batman and this would be an easy sell.
    131 weeks ago
    CoDdesigns said: Becks I don't know if you remember back on your WIP for Chuck, I asked if you knew or used illustrator? Well this design of all the other ones looks like you used a professional program to clean up your already cool drawing style. and yes stick with the white outline. Personally I would have outlined batman as well to separate him from the tombstones.

This is your best yet. Until you learn to clean that Chuck drawing up the way you did this, than so far my opinion stands. I hope you get printed... because I love Batman and this would be an easy sell.

Yeah i used illustrator to clean this one up. I'm going to go back and use it on some of my older designs as well. Thanks for the encouragement/support!