Back to forum
rss 134 weeks ago
again, threads tend to get rather cluttered over the time, so I decided to start a new one. All my designs can still be found in my profile or my older threads.
And here's what I just submitted moments ago. Hope you like:

"Breaking Bad / Cooking Rocks!"

Photobucket
(5colours on sky blue shirt, the rest is Helium, Iodine, Selenium, Nitrogen, Beryllium, Roentgenium BULLET HOLE Sulphur)
34Comments
    134 weeks ago
    Awesome idea. My only note would be that if you're going to use the Heisenberg name, why not the Heisenberg character with the hat and sunglasses?
    134 weeks ago
    thank you, zerkaboid. interesting point, I'll try and give 3 answers:
    1st) I needed him to look like a scientist / chemist and 2nd) I tried it (also with a gas mask) but Walter's face with sunglasses & hat lacked the warmth & emotion of this version. I wanted to keep the eyes visible to elaborate that suggestive smirk he's doing 3rd) I myself prefer that look ... there's so many übercool supervillains out there, and that's exactly what Heisenberg is not. He's Walter White in disguise ... actually a very nice guy
    134 weeks ago
    My first thought when I saw "mobile cuisine" was the Food Network's The Great Food Truck Race. It's a popular show and food trucks are popular now, so many you can tie it in to that theme and not use mobile cuisine? It plays on the cooking theme better too. Cooking on Wheels? The Great Meth Truck Race?

134 weeks ago
    thanks for the input, but I don't know this Food Truck show. There's a show about FOOD TRUCKS? wow ... sounds weird.

also, I think I'm kinda done with mashing up different concepts. it's got its merits, but I think I prefer geeking out over one specific show/film/concept I really appreciate myself. that gives me the chance to put in some geeky titbits only fans of the source will truly notice but leaves enough space to "create" something that just pops.

another fact I have to consider is the following: by combining two shows into one design the main target audience is the overlapping population who like both shows. and that's usually less people than those who like either one of these shows ... sounds lame, but it is what it is. and unless I have really clever idea for a MashedPotato I think I'll stick to mono-sourced designs.

and finally: I don't think TeeFury (or any potential customer) would be too keen on having a design with the word METH on it. I specifically avoided the obvious drug allusions ... I just go by: what would I wanna wear?
    134 weeks ago
    The Meth Truck was a joke:-)

And I wasn't suggesting a mash. I just find Mobile Cuisine a bit awkward and thought tying the cooking idea to a food truck would be fun. I don't think using the words cook or cooking is much of a drug allusion.

But hey, it's your design, so you've got to be happy with it.
    134 weeks ago
    hehe, nah ... you people have to be happy with it. that's what makes me happy

yeah, sorry for failing to get that meth joke, it's been a long day

I thought about including some sort of slogan like "Cookin' Rocks!" or "Cookin' it up!" but I couldn't quite place it, it always felt kinda awkward & forced. I'll show you the sloganized version later ... maybe you have a clever idea what to do or where to put the slogan
    134 weeks ago
    Took me awhile to connect Cuisine and "Cooking". I can't think of anything to suggest to replace it though.

I agree with using Heisenburg's name but Walt's image. I would have went with "Walter's Mobile ..." But then it would have ruined the elemental joke, and that's what makes the shirt.

The hand looks off. I'm not sure if you where going for the glove in the process of being pulling over the fist but then how can he be making an OK sign. If that's what your goal was you might put the second hand in there pulling downward with some tension on the plastic.
    134 weeks ago
    I'm not sure I know what you mean about the hand. I don't think I see what you see. could you elaborate?

it's a hand ... in a rubber glove ... making this "it's really good!" gesture accompanying his "you should totally buy some!" smirk

it's not being pulled over anything, it's just one of those sturdy rubber gloves chemists use to keep their hands from acid burns / melting off / vaporizing - that kind of stuff. they wear it on the show a lot actually
    134 weeks ago
    Awesome design as per usual. I agree with caddywampus about the hand. The fingers are a bit plump and some of the lines are at strange angles but those are minor.
    134 weeks ago
    At first though the backs of the three fingers were facing us and I couldn't make sense of what the pinky was doing. The highlight on the hand looks like there is something round underneath(like a balled up fist) That's why I though he was in the process of pulling his glove over his hand. The fingers look limp and dislocated from the palm like there's nothing inside.

kgull.jpg

I think if you get rid of that "dent" in the glove implying the wrist and drop the pinky closer to the hand (which i didn't show) Maybe a shadow in the middle of the palm showing which side of the hand we are viewing.
    134 weeks ago
    Awesome! The hand made perfect sense to me, and with the whole cuisine idea he kind of reminds me of a chef giving the "OK" symbol as if to say "Try some of my delicious concoctions" - looks good to me!
    134 weeks ago
    wow - great design. What's even more strange - just yesterday I watched the episode of BB where Walter shaves his head and takes on the name Heisenberg for the first time...
    133 weeks ago
    thank you surfercat & bulletride.

I re-did the hand ... thanks for pointing it out.
    made it less clumsy, somewhat more filigree and the rubber glove less baggy / more fitting. hope it works better now
    Photobucket
    133 weeks ago
    Nice that is a much better hand. Man I can't wait for Breaking Bad season 1 to come in the mail so I can geek over this with you. I know I'm late to the party....
    133 weeks ago
    Caddywompus said: Took me awhile to connect Cuisine and "Cooking". I can't think of anything to suggest to replace it though.

I agree with using Heisenburg's name but Walt's image. I would have went with "Walter's Mobile ..." But then it would have ruined the elemental joke, and that's what makes the shirt.

I think the word cooks or cooking needs to be there. Maybe something as simple as Mobile Cooking?

And it's a great design. Probably the best BB shirt I've seen and I'm a hard core fan!
    133 weeks ago
    just finished the first season and got hooked to season 2 in a heart beat. great show, no question

regarding the "cooking": I'm not a native speaker of English. but am I wrong that "cuisine" means a certain way of cooking, a characteristic style of creating a very specific ... well ... usually food. this has gotta be just as transferable by simply expanding the metaphor from cooking (something they talk about on the show non-stop) to that very specific way of cooking (extra-special meth cooked in a RV)

suggestions anyone? Mobile cooking is somewhat too plain, too obvious for my taste (no offence)
    133 weeks ago
    The hand looks tons better, nicely done.

As far as the term cuisine, literally it makes sense but only after I looked up the definition. It's one of those words you hear but don't really think of the origin. I always though it referred to variety.

I can't think of anything to replace it but this is a smart man's shirt. You have to be knowledgeable to about the elements and the definition of the word cuisine to truly appreciate the design.
    133 weeks ago
    In North America cuisine generally refers to a type of food - for example, Italian cuisine or Southwestern cuisine. It doesn't mean the actual cooking. And remember, I watch the Food Network so I know these things!

I think fans of the show will understand cuisine, it's just not as obvious.
    133 weeks ago
    okay, for simple testing purposes I partially cleaned up this typo I made earlier. I somewhat like the crystalline texture and what it says, but I'm not overly happy with the placement. but that's pretty much the only space available in the whole design to support some more text.

I guess I case the design gets chosen I'm simply going to offer both versions and see what the TF staff prefers

Photobucket
    133 weeks ago
    I actually don't think it really needs to come right out and say "cooking" - cuisine, food, cooking, it's all related so the reference seems more than obvious to me. I can't believe how many people wouldn't know what cuisine means! Either way, it's still an awesome design.
    133 weeks ago
    thank you, surfercat, that's what I thought. the word "cuisine" is just an euphemism for "kitchen" or "cooking", most (in fact all) people I showed this to made the connection right away, but comments here made me kinda uncertain I may have used the wrong word and it doen't make sense. but that's re-assuring.

cuisine and cooking "go together like marijuana and a chemotherapy"

I now will go back to colouring special agent Dale Cooper
    133 weeks ago
    a tribute to smuuuuuurf GOOD (and hot) COFFEE!! and of course the greatest, weirdest and most disturbing TV-show ever created. and you can't go all Lynch without making things creepy, weird, unsettling ... which is exactly what I intend to do

Photobucket
    133 weeks ago
    Is that who i think it is..?
    133 weeks ago
    AMAZING! SUBMIT IT!
    133 weeks ago
    @noel: only if you think that this is very special agent Dale Bartholomew Cooper :D

@thegalorian: patience, my dear friend, patience. it's not even close to be finished. but I'll take your enthusiasm as a sign that I'm headed into the right direction

@word filter: it's still D4MN FINE COFFEE ... and HOT
  • Load More Comments