Back to forum
rss 134 weeks ago

As a One Piece fan would you wear something like this? And do you get the reference without knowing the title: "Straw Hat Armstrong"
12Comments
    134 weeks ago
    Never heard of Straw Hat Pirate, but I have fond memories of Stretch Armstrong. He was less strong than I believed, and his arms broke almost immediately. Poor Stretch!
    134 weeks ago
    I'm a big One Piece fan, just read the new chapter out today. Unfortunately, I wouldn't wear this shirt. Probably cuz I don't know who Stretch Armstrong is
    134 weeks ago
    Ha, I guess there has to be a pretty small percentage of cross over to know both references.
    134 weeks ago
    I got both references but I'm not sure if I would have thought of Stretch Armstrong first, I just thought he looked like silly putty stretched out. Maybe if he had a few more muscles but still dressed the same. His face and neck looks kind of weird, it took me a while to figure out that was his mouth. I haven't seen that much One Piece, so I might be overlooking something and that's the way it's supposed to be - if so I apologize! :P
    134 weeks ago
    strawhatarmpic.jpg

Here is a bigger pic of the head. I went with the big cheesein' grin both wear proudly. The head meant to be a hunk of plastic shoved on a soft body like Armstrong.

For those that get one reference but not the other. One Piece is the best selling manga of all time. Starting Moneky D Luffy, Captain of the Straw Hat Pirates. Luffy is a rubberman like our 80's classic toy. Maybe not as iconic as a slinky or a rubiks cube Stretch Armstrong is still up there on the retro toy list.

And while looking for pictures apparently Ron Howard is going to direct a Movie of Stretch Armstrong starring the werewolf from Twilight. (Or at least that's what I deciphered from the pictures, not that interested to actually click on an article.)
    134 weeks ago
    Dang man.. that is baddass ! And FINALLY, a good One Piece design, love the manga/anime, love the idea of him as stretch armstrong.. couldn't believe the idea never cross my head.
    134 weeks ago
    And yes.. i know both references. So i guess the "small percentage" you were talking about consist of just probably 4 people :D.
    134 weeks ago
    I have a Stretch Armstrong sitting on my desk right now. =)

I'm a One Piece fan too (I don't really keep up with it as much because it's getting a little too long for my tastes, but I still like it). Just tone down the grin a little bit and I think you've got a winner, I would love to buy this.
    134 weeks ago
    You can add me to the small group. Old enough to remember stretch Armstrong and a huge fan of one piece. The problem I see is it sits weird on the t. Also I would have thought first to dress luffy up like mr. Fantastic and see if I can possibly spin an idea around the straw hats as marvel characters.

Your style is good and I'd love to see what else you can come up with.
    134 weeks ago
    I see the grin now, much easier to see up close! Very nice! :D
    134 weeks ago
    strawha5t.png

Toned the grin down a bit and fixed the bill of his hat. The more I starred at it, the more it looked like a coolie hat.
    134 weeks ago
    Perfect! I hadn't noticed but the hat does look better now, more like Luffy's hat.