Back to forum
rss 134 weeks ago
I saw the movie Drive over the weekend and was inspired to make a shirt based on some of the stuff in the movie, here is what I have come up with. Let me know what you all think and as usual all criticism is appreciated.

16Comments
    134 weeks ago
    i haven't seen the movie yet so i obviously don't get any of the references but i can say with confidence that the design is too cluttered. there's too much happening inside the crest thing and the writing on the banner is too small to make out.
    134 weeks ago
    I could spell out all of the references, but I don't want to ruin the movie, which is excellent btw. The font size on the banner is 24pt I believe and in Latin so it may be hard to read. I agree about the clutter and I fixed up somethings on the shirt to detract from the cluttered feel. Mainly limiting the color pallet because I don't want to remove any of the design elements. Better, worse, comments?

DriveShirt2.jpg
    134 weeks ago
    Saw the film this weekend and absolutely loved it. I like the design in general and think you did pick good items from the film to use as a representation. I've never been a fan of the chillwave font or the font color, but you kind of need it for the design to be more obvious. I liked the scorpion better in the orangish-yellow, but overall I like the design.
    134 weeks ago
    The font style/color is the same as was used on the title cards for the film. I wanted to keep the scorpion that yellow color, but it clutter up the design too much.
    134 weeks ago
    It's unfortunate the film used that typeface and fuschia... it's kinda really ugly :( This would be one of those circumstances where I feel it's best for the design to move away from the type used in the film and go for its own thing -- because by using that typeface with that pink gives the design a very amateurish look :( It's not your fault, it's just the nature of the type.

If I were you, I'd dump that type and that pink, and go for something cleaner and more legible. The design in the center is very minimalistic, so you should pick a typeface that works with that design. I also don't think you need the outline on the hammer or the detail lines in the bullet. The scorpion is a plain outline, so for consistency's sake you might want to see if the same works for the hammer and the bullet. I'm not sure you need all of that detail in the white portion, either, but since I haven't seen the film and have no idea what it is I'll leave that one open-ended :D

Not a bad design by any means, though! The only negatives are because the graphic design from the film was pretty bad :/ haha.
    134 weeks ago
    After having seen this movie tonight, I can also say it's pretty awesome and I recommend it, although I wasn't expecting quite the intense violence that it has in the second half.

The typeface reminds me of GTA, the whole movie is sort of like an 80's movie and I think your design captures that element (although the type also helps with that).

I do think I like the scorpion in gold better since that was the color it was in the movie. I know it's supposed to be a basic design but it might be cool if you put a bit of highlight on the right side, like the one in the movie. You could spare one more color to add a slightly darker gold tint, or actually a half tone would probably work just as well. I can't find a good picture at the moment. Nice job on the scorpion otherwise though.

I agree that the text on the banner in the middle is very hard to read. If you wanted to stick with the pink cursive typeface around the circle, maybe that middle part could be a different font?

I also think it would be cool to have a car in there, maybe a silver Impala :)
    134 weeks ago
    Oh and the map in the background is a nice touch (is that a map?)
    134 weeks ago
    LOVE LOVE IT
    134 weeks ago
    First, thanks for the input, from what I read the two major flaws are the font and the color of the scorpion. I worked on the design for a while and change a lot of things that I think will improve it. I decided to keep the font to stay faithful to the title cards, I think it gives the shirt more of the feel of the movie. If anyone is interested the Latin phrase is "Vicis Locus Fenestra" which translates to "Time, Place, Window" alluding to the opening line "If I drive for you, you give me a time and a place. I give you a five-minute window" Let me know what you think.

DriveShirt3.jpg
    133 weeks ago
    @Surfercat35 his car is a 1973 chevelle, the impala was used only at the first heist, so, not very important role there.

ps, where can i get this font?
    i liked the tshirt, but maybe something very simple. like, just the scorpion.
    133 weeks ago
    the font is mistral
    133 weeks ago
    yanko said: @Surfercat35 his car is a 1973 chevelle, the impala was used only at the first heist, so, not very important role there.

ps, where can i get this font?

i liked the tshirt, but maybe something very simple. like, just the scorpion.

Haha you're absolutely right! Either one is cool with me.

In any case, the blood spatter definitely adds some depth, though I almost feel like the background of the map underneath should be a different color than white just to set it apart from the shield design. I think the shield works well as white but maybe the map could be another color? Maybe even the scorpion yellow if you don't want to add to your color count.
    133 weeks ago
    I LOVED Drive I watched it several times and it is a fantastic film.. so I completely support the idea of a teefury shirt representing it.. I think the font color and the scorpion is important.. but in my opinion the banner with the latin phrase (which is very clever) looks a bit cheesey.. perhaps you could cross 2 hammers where the banner is or something like that.. also the map background is a fine touch.. only thing that bugs me is that banner..another suggestion would be to take the sheild out from behind the scorpion and have the map still fill the circle.. but make the scorpion black to contrast against the map.. then you would have 3 colors pink, black, and white

I like where this is going though.. I hope it gets tweeked well enough to get printed.. I would buy it!
    133 weeks ago
    I wanted to keep the Latin phrase because I was basing the design off of a prep school logo and they like their Latin phrases. I will play around with the map color to see what else may look good. Thanks for the input.
    133 weeks ago
    Here are some alts, let me know what you all like:

drivers.jpg
    133 weeks ago
    I like either 3 or 6. I'm undecided about the banner, though I almost lean more towards having it.