Back to forum
rss 135 weeks ago

Any thoughts on this one? Does it work? What would make it better?

Any comments would be very appreciated. Thanks! :)
17Comments
    135 weeks ago
    I'm loathe to say this as lot of work has gone into this design, but there is no connection that I can see between the two themes.

I'd save the work you have done on the Turtles and then use them in another design.

As you know I'm very supportive of anyone looking for feedback, so I wouldn't say something like this lightly. As nicely as I can possibly say it, this idea doesn't work. I don't believe it can work without something significant and obvious linking the themes.
    135 weeks ago
    Really? The connection is that the turtles have been sorted into the Hogwarts houses. I thought it was pretty clear and my friends all got it instantly. Is there some reason it's not clear?
    135 weeks ago
    There definitely needs to be more of a connection between the 4 houses and the 4 turtles.

Not super familiar with HP to suggest anything there.

I'd ssmurf the text at the top. Maybe Teenage Mutant Wizard Turtles?
    135 weeks ago
    Hmm I have to disagree, I don't think there needs to be an obvious connection linking the two. All that's required to appreciate the shirt is a liking of both series. My favorite Teefury shirt is "Oz Wars," and I don't think there's an obvious link in those two series aside from a few shared personality traits between the characters. It's just a cute, clever shirt.

That being said, I agree with the suggestion to incorporate the MashedPotato in the title somehow! Maybe that would tie it together a bit more. The design definitely shouldn't be scrapped all together.
    135 weeks ago
    bananna620 said: Really? The connection is that the turtles have been sorted into the Hogwarts houses. I thought it was pretty clear and my friends all got it instantly. Is there some reason it's not clear?

I think it's an extremely tenuous connection and that you would need a much stronger one to justify this theme combination.

It happens. I've many designs in various states of completion that don't really work because the themes don't have a good or obvious link. I hold onto that work because there maybe something I can salvage in future.

I've helped you with 4 designs, but I could be wrong on this one. Go with your instinct.
    135 weeks ago
    A good Mash Potato shirt finds the similarities between too completely different ideas and make them into a cohesive design.

You can force a connection if you lead people in the right direction.

135 weeks ago
    Caddywompus and thunderbat -- I struggled with what the text at the top should be. My only criteria were that I didn't want "TURTLES" to be the big word in the turtle font because it seemed to close to the orig treatment, and I didn't want to use the ribbon that the Hogwarts crest uses because people seem to be rallying against them lately.

Something like "Teenage Mutant Wizard Turtles" is probably closer to what it should be, but that would put the word TURTLES in the large green text, which I wanted to avoid. Maybe "Teenage Mutant Turtle Wizards"? I'm definitely open to suggestions. :)

Chuffy -- We may have to agree to disagree on this one, but I do appreciate your candor! The more opinions, the merrier, IMO.

As for the overall connection between the two themes, I do think there is a pretty strong connection: the personality traits of the turtles closely match the traits of each Hogwarts house. If it's not obvious to someone who's not a fan of one or both series, that's understandable. But if you're a fan of both and you can suggest some ways to make the connection stronger, more clever, etc., I'm definitely open to them!
    135 weeks ago
    Maybe incorporating the mascot animal by way of a watermark or something into the background section of each Hogwart's house?
    135 weeks ago
    the only one I don't think fits is Michelangelo. Hard Working isn't something he's known for in the slightest. But I get why he's there and not Ravenclaw.

I kinda wish they were full bod with sorts of Ninja wands and wearing robes, that is probably waay too complex for a simple design though.
    135 weeks ago
    TheBensanity said: Maybe incorporating the mascot animal by way of a watermark or something into the background section of each Hogwart's house?

That's an interesting suggestion, thanks! I don't know if an actual watermark would work because I don't think they can print tints of colors (right?), but something along these lines could be cool. Or maybe putting the name of the house somewhere? I've been thinking the design was too turtle heavy, so this could help balance more toward the HP side.

Malion said: the only one I don't think fits is Michelangelo. Hard Working isn't something he's known for in the slightest. But I get why he's there and not Ravenclaw.

I kinda wish they were full bod with sorts of Ninja wands and wearing robes, that is probably waay too complex for a simple design though.

I completely agree about Michelangelo! I originally had Leo and Mikey switched because Leo has lots of classic Hufflepuff traits (hard-working, loyal, determined, patient, dependable), and Mikey has lots of classic Gryffindor traits (passionate, blunt, playful, funny, idealistic). I ended up putting them this way because I thought casual HP fans might cling to the notion of Leo = leader = brave = Gryffindor. Plus, Hufflepuff takes any wizard who doesn't fit elsewhere, so I figured putting Mikey there would be okay.

I am really tempted to switch them back though, plus I think it balances the design better because it the larger weapons are on the bottom and the smaller ones are on top.
    135 weeks ago
    lol wow, I have no idea how the html ended up like that, but I guess you can still tell what my response was. :)
    135 weeks ago
    My only opinion on this design is: why? I can see where you're coming from with the links but right now I don't think it's really working. The title just doesn't do it for me and I don't think the titles you suggested above would flow well with tmnt title.

My 2cents.
    134 weeks ago
    Here's an update. Any helpful suggestions on how to make it better would be greatly appreciated. :)

3Zrmc.png
    134 weeks ago
    Love this! I really don't think there needs to be a specific connection between the two things, it's just a cool idea. I mean can anyone tell me the link between mutants, turtles and ninjas in the first place? It's just for the fun of it and that's why it works.

I love the trait tags on each turtle and the new title.
    The only thing I dislike is the Hufflepuff background which seems really bright and distracting to me personally plus the execution of the main "Harry Potter" which I assume it is just a placeholder until you sort the rest of the design.

This design will sell like mad to fans of both franchises and with fan bases as large as these two there is sure to be significant overlap.
    134 weeks ago
    Thanks UserEighteen! I'm so glad you like it. :)))

The "Harry Potter" text actually isn't a placeholder, but I'm not completely satisfied with how it turned out so I'll take another crack at it. Marrying the two fonts is proving pretty difficult, but hopefully with some more tweaking I can make it work. I might try using the HP font as a base for more of the letters, especially the Rs and Ts, and see how that works.

I also see what you mean about the Hufflepuff background, so I'll tweak that as well.

Thanks again!!
    134 weeks ago
    It's much improved. The title could use work. Having the title explain everything word for word is a bit much. Perhaps toy around with the subtitle too. Make is sound more HP but filled with TMNT salute. HP and the Vile of Ooze?
    134 weeks ago
    Nice art skills :) Try to avoid using the actual copyrighted names, though. Often the most successful shirt designs are the ones that communicate so well visually that the words are unnecessary.