Back to forum
rss 134 weeks ago
I started working on a Harry Potter WIP but seem to have hit a wall in working on it. It's Bellatrix Lestrange calling Voldemort in the form of Rosie the Riveter. The Death Eaters have to roll up their sleeves to press the mark.

Right now the image has 5 colors (black, grey, green, light skintone, dark skintone). I'm not sure if Military Green (the shirt color I'm working with now) would require the use of white for the 6th.

I'd appreciate any feedback and/or advice.
18Comments
    134 weeks ago
    Cool idea, I think it's a really fun approach to such a serious character. That being said, I feel like you need to get rid of the bandanna and just give Rosie/Bellatrix the crazy hair that Helena Bonham Carter had in the movie, as that would make it much more identifiable. You also really need a light gray in there for her eyes. Great work.
    134 weeks ago
    I agree. I don't think the bandanna is needed for the RtRiviter reference to be gotten, and the hair would MAKE it Bellatrix. I would say change the shirt to something she wears and looks more witchy, but I see she usually wears long sleeves.
    You might try adding this necklace I notice she always wears : http://idigitalcitizen.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/bellatrix-lestrange.jpg?w=320

as it's silver, it would pop nicely against the black shirt. But that's just a suggestion.

Though I really would give her Bellatrix's hair, at least.
    134 weeks ago
    I like the painterly feel of this design so far and look forward to seeing how it pans out. I agree with the suggestions above.

If remotely possible avoid using the Harry Potter font if/when you add text. Make the design stand up on it's own, which judging from what I can see so far, you have the skill to do it.

I guess you'll be going with the caption "WE CAN KILL HARRY" or something like that. ;)
    134 weeks ago
    you don't even understand how much in love i am with this, and it isn't even finished.

i agree with bregan1989 about the hair/bandanna. i think it would look better with her hair loose and puffy rather than tied up under the bandanna.

so far, absolutely amazing.
    134 weeks ago
    I think you guys are right about the hair vs. bandanna. I'm definitely going to give the Bellatrix hair a try - it's hard to tell its her right now and that's a major identifier for the character. I also like the necklace idea and I'm going to try and fit that in.

Her eyes are missing right now because I'm having difficulty with them. haha. They'll be there in the end.

Not sure about any fonts/text, but I'm leaning towards a Rosie-style font if I use any.

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone :) I'm glad people seem to like it so far!
    134 weeks ago
    Dark Mark's are on left arms...
    134 weeks ago
    TheDoctor1 said: Dark Mark's are on left arms...

Ouch! Confirmed... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Eater
    134 weeks ago
    I dig this concept.
    134 weeks ago
    well. I'm glad someone noticed that now! I've redone the body now so that her left arm has the mark and I've tried adding the Bellatrix hair - is it recognizable? Her hair in the movie seems to be very teased and frizzy, so I had a difficult time coming up with a way of representing it.

bellarivet2.png
    134 weeks ago
    Hey, I loved the original concept but the newer one with the dark mark on the correct arm doesn't look quite right..

For one the arm is much too long so I'd shorten that up and see what it looks like and maybe try to give her some of Bellatrix's facial features and hope that the concept still shows through because it just doesn't really look quite like her yet.
    If you continue to work on this and it gets printed, based on the concept designs I would definitely buy it.
    134 weeks ago
    bellarivet3.png

Thanks again for the suggestions! I've tried to fix the problems you noticed.
    I moved the left arm in some to try and fix the size issue - it seems fine to me now, but I've also been looking at it a lot. I've tried to get the face looking as close to HBC as possible, reduced some of the hair (seemed too deep to me before), and cleaned up some of the lines in the arms and the shirt/robes.
    134 weeks ago
    I like the idea of this. If the dark mark was on the wrong arm, I'd just flip the original picture. It's more recognizable as the original pose. But you're already working in the other direction, so that's your choice. The latest edit does look somewhat more like the actress, but the lips are maybe a little thick and I think she'd look nicer a little more eyelashy.
    133 weeks ago
    I originally didn't like the idea of flipping the image because I had already removed the scarf. I've looked at it again and decided to try mirroring the image and adding the scarf over some of Bellatrix's hair. I've slimmed down her bottom lip some and added some eyelashes.

bellarivetmirror.png

I just noticed a piece of her hair blends with the Dark Mark's mouth, which I plan on fixing later.
    133 weeks ago
    Oh you tried all the stuff I said. =) You don't have to take my word for it, but personally I find the flipped image to be more recognizable than having the mark on the arm in the background. It also kind of lines up with the snake when her arm is in that position, whereas her fist cut into it in the previous one. And yeah I think you can keep the headscarf.
    133 weeks ago
    I love it, but I say lose the headscarf. It covers up her hair too much, and think it takes away from the character just a bit. Also it blends in directly with the Dark Mark as is.
    133 weeks ago
    I was actually thinking about reversing the direction of the dark mark to fix the blending issue, like so:

bellarivetmirror3.png

I'd have to fix the empty space that exists in the skull now, but it brings a bit more symmetry and balance to the image. And maybe it helps the headscarf disappearing issue?
    133 weeks ago
    Maybe adding her wand like the guy did with Buffy's stake. I would insta-buy it either way. Love Bellatrix. Her wand is pretty distinguishable from others.
    133 weeks ago
    I love the most current look of the design - and I think you should keep the headscarf! It's a great way to tie it in with Rosie. The only critique I can offer is that her right eye looks larger than her left eye.

Good luck!