Back to forum
rss 148 weeks ago
I'm sorry in advance Jim but I think a fresh post every 3 or 4 WIPS would be better for instant feedback. I'm not gonna design as fast as before because I now have a lot more networking to do than design...

Here was an idea I am sort of close to being done with... I'll finish it tomorrow after work with some helpful tips and feedback. I want to keep it simple still something is missing... A good nights sleep should help fill the missing pieces.

Anywho this is my New England Patriots tribute to Firefly- A vintage football tee that just screams independence!

Photobucket
26Comments
    148 weeks ago
    I'm gonna take a wild guess that the guy on the logo is a Reaver(ified) Cap'n Mal
    148 weeks ago
    Nice design. Good to see a Browncoats design that doesn't rely a Brown T-shirt. :)

Shouldn't the text at the bottom say either Independence or Independent.

The line weights on the larger text seem a little too thin. Or is it the White outline that seems a little too thick around the mascot? Difficult to tell.

You may want to check the design in mockup shirt because at the moment your lighter Blue background (shirt color) is closest to the Men only Slate Blue, this usually means they print the Womens version on Powder Blue. Neither of these colors is that good with your design. However Navy Blue works well as does Black, Military Green and... sigh... Chocolate Brown.

noelpenn said: I'm gonna take a wild guess that the guy on the logo is a Reaver(ified) Cap'n Mal

It's the New England Patriots mascot in Mal Reynolds clothing. He's also wearing eye black and padding, but I don't think he's a Reaver.
    148 weeks ago
    Should say "doesn't rely on a Brown T-shirt"

Charcoal and Silver also work, Charcoal especially.
    148 weeks ago
    Oh yeah for sure this needs some more tweaking. Good tips as always chuffy. Now that I'm awake and alert I can see all the things I got lazy on. I kinda rushed this WIP for crit but it was getting late... I do have a day job haha.

I'm kinda fearing that my ideas are taken. Like someone is gonna pop in this thread and say - ALREADY BEEN DONE! I have been seeing too much of that lately.
    148 weeks ago
    Chuffy said: Nice design. Good to see a Browncoats design that doesn't rely a Brown T-shirt. :)

Shouldn't the text at the bottom say either Independence or Independent.

The line weights on the larger text seem a little too thin. Or is it the White outline that seems a little too thick around the mascot? Difficult to tell.

You may want to check the design in mockup shirt because at the moment your lighter Blue background (shirt color) is closest to the Men only Slate Blue, this usually means they print the Womens version on Powder Blue. Neither of these colors is that good with your design. However Navy Blue works well as does Black, Military Green and... sigh... Chocolate Brown.

noelpenn said: I'm gonna take a wild guess that the guy on the logo is a Reaver(ified) Cap'n Mal

It's the New England Patriots mascot in Mal Reynolds clothing. He's also wearing eye black and padding, but I don't think he's a Reaver.

Ah.. sorry, as you can see i'm not that big a fan of Football
    148 weeks ago
    I am no longer my generic username of Sgelenter... which just happens to be my name.

I am now CoDdesigns. I will have a logo to match soon. This way there is no disparity between me and my portfolio of work.
    148 weeks ago
    Ok I think is just about ready...
    Photobucket
    148 weeks ago
    All looks good except for that pretty hard distress line across the middle.
    148 weeks ago
    Oh smuuuuuurf I just caught that... good thing I post these before submission!
    148 weeks ago
    Photobucket
    148 weeks ago
    Touchdown! |o|
    148 weeks ago
    I'm just starting designing, and I have yet to find a good way of distressing designs like that, how do you do yours?
    148 weeks ago
    I love this design. Do the six stars around the circle mean anything? If not, you might be able to sneak in an additional reference to the series in that space. But regardless, it's great as it is now.
    148 weeks ago
    i am not even a Firefly fan(don't get how it gets so much love being it only last 13 episodes and 1 generic movie, but hey thats me) and i like this design
    148 weeks ago
    to JBKapnMorg I'm not a greatest at explaining this but I will do my best... There are two ways to distress an image that I know of. 1 way for Vector art and 1 way for Raster art.

For examples I'm using my firefly design

First you need a distress- You need images of textures and surfaces whether it's a book full of them from an art section at a book store, you take photographs yourself or you google image search with advanced options set to over 2mb size images or larger.

Once you have your desired textures you bring them into photoshop and go to the top bar and select Image -then Adjustments- then select Threshold. Threshold will eliminate all other colors except black and white. This is what you want. Save the image as a psd file and make sure it's at least 200dpi. 300 is the best.

For Vector- Import your psd file of the texture into Illustrator. Before we distress you need to color separate. Take the entire art all grouped together and make however many colors you have and make that many copies. So for this design I needed to copy paste the image 6 times(always keep a 7th copy with the original colors on the side). I separated each one and broke it down by color. I locked all other artwork and began coloring every color white except the one I needed which I changed to black. It should look like 6 pieces of art all colored black. If you put them back together they should fit like puzzle pieces. However you can't put them back together just yet. You need to distress and eliminate all of the white. Open the texture you like and fit it to the size of each individual puzzle piece. If you have CS4 or later you should be able to live trace the psd file of the texture. This will vectorize the texture. Then hit expand. Once expanded you can delete all of the white areas. Take the black distress texture and color it white. Now place it on top in the exact same spot for all 6 separated pieces of art. Drag your mouse over one piece with the distress and select Object-then Rasterize. This will fake a distress over the art. Once rasterized you can live trace the new image. Once live traced hit expand and then delete the white again. Do this for all 6 pieces. Once finished take the original color way and begin selecting each piece and filling it with the desired color. Then put the pieces back together. They should fit nicely.

Raster art- This way is much easier but I prefer the clean effect of vector art (sorry photoshop fans). Take the art for example my design and import it into photoshop. Import the distress as well. Put the distress on a layer above the art. On the distress layer select all of the black pixels in the distress. Hide the distress layer and now select the layer with the art. Press the delete key and the art will be deleted in the exact selection of the distress.

Keep in mind a pixelated distress can be cleaner than a vector distress however round cartoon like art is probably best vectorized.

Sorry for the length and my awful typing skills. If you don't follow I'm sure Chuffy can clarify better for me haha.
    148 weeks ago
    CoDdesigns said:
    Sorry for the length and my awful typing skills. If you don't follow I'm sure Chuffy can clarify better for me haha.

Nope, that's how I do it. Both the distress techique and the explanation. :)

I use the Raster method, but the Vector method is preferable since your design can be fully scaled.

If you are gonna use the Raster method make sure your design is 300dpi and fits (ideally fills a least one dimension) a 14" by 17" canvas (4200x5100pixel). Why so precise? It's what fits the printed area of the T-shirt.
    148 weeks ago
    oh my god oh my god oh my god I love this shirt!!!!!!!

My only complaint... and I mean ONLY... is I personally think it should be on a red shirt. Almost all of the Pats throwback stuff is and was on a red shirt, jersey, hat, etc... I think it would tie in the Pats reference a bit better for those who maybe don't know about the old logo for the team.
    148 weeks ago
    I had 3 old school patriots shirts I was referencing... one was baby blue, one was heather grey and one was red.

While I would have loved to submit another red shirt I didn't know if it would have been in my best interest. I just submitted a red shirt earlier this week called "Baredevil" and it's going to be printed. So I guess I wanted to mix it up.

Plus I wouldn't worry if this design doesn't get picked up I will have it for sale in many colors ;)
    147 weeks ago
    Get excited Gears Fans!!! Cause I am so hyped on Gears 3 right now I went and stopped playing the game to draw this soon to be on a t-shirt!
    Photobucket
    147 weeks ago
    You just randomly stopped playing Gears 3 to draw that? That's an amazing picture first of all, I wish I could be just as good at drawng xD I'd buy it no matter how it turns out because, hey, who doesn't love Thrashball or the Cole Train? WOOO!
    147 weeks ago
    Yeah I can't believe I put them game down too... However playing the game is the reason I'm so hyped on this shirt. The idea is pretty funny and I can't wait to finish this and wear it. Yes I make shirts I want to wear lol...
    147 weeks ago
    This is how it turned out... hopefully you still want buy somez!

The Cole Train Runs on Whole Grain Baby! WOOOO

Non-distress non-vintage version:
    Photobucket
    147 weeks ago
    and the distressed version, with a slight vintage look

Photobucket
    147 weeks ago
    CoDdesigns said: Photobucket

Go Pats!
    146 weeks ago
    Ok so here is my update on Thrashies... Comments always welcome ;)
    Photobucket
  • Load More Comments