Back to forum
rss 274 weeks ago
Just to let you all know.

I was walking in Chatuchak Weekend Market in Bangkok, the largest market in the world and I saw so many designs I've seen in anothersite and even DeviantArt printed on cheap t-shirts there. Many shops sell shirts with the same or similar(different colors) designs and it's very hard or impossible to hold them responsible because there are too many of them spread out everywhere and the people who sell the shirts probably took them wholesale from somewhere else. One tee costs about 100-250 baht. That's USD2.88 - 7.19 each. And they're being printed in bulk and sold in other markets and malls too. Of course there are local designers coming out with their own designs and labels but I'm a little disappointed(not surprised though) to find out about those art thieves. Some designs I saw were done by friends/artists I know. There's nothing to do about this but just thought I'd let you know that your art may be printed and sold cheap in Thailand(maybe other places too) without your permission. And err...I hope it's not the other way round.
8Comments
    274 weeks ago
    it wouldn't just be sold cheep, it would be cheep, they all use low resolution web graphics not meant for print
    274 weeks ago
    I know.
    All the anothersite designs I've spotted here in Holland turned out to be bought in places like thailand.
    Only one was an actual anothersite shirt.
    I bet that also goes for other t'shirt sites.
    274 weeks ago
    Yeah the quality's quite bad but still wearable for a while. There's a high demand, that's why they keep selling them.
    274 weeks ago
    Wow, that's an interesting topic.
    I wonder if there is a possibility of these tee-shirt sites selling the designs to other shops overseas? I mean, in anothersite, if something gets printed there, then the artist has gotten paid... Persoanlly, I'd see it as a big compliment if my designs were worn and so popular in other countries. But I can see how it is also unfair, because the artist doesn't get recognized for his/her work at those rip-off shops (unlike anothersite, where the credits are printed inside shirt).
    274 weeks ago
    I wonder if there is a possibility of these tee-shirt sites selling the designs to other shops overseas?

I don't think anothersite or other Tee sites would do that. They would loose their customars, and especially designers if they did, and were found out.
    The designs are here on the net, and the images can be stolen.
    They won't have a 300dpi file to work with, but it could still be done with a worse quality.
    274 weeks ago
    I also don't think tee-sites sell designs to other shops overseas. That's kinda like going against themselves. It is unfair to the artist because it was their idea and hard work. The funny thing is imitations can also copy word for word so if a design had the artist's name, it could also be printed on that cheap tee. Haha. The kind of illustrations at anothersite are easier to copy compared to those at somewhereelse(I haven't seen any at those shops so far) and Thailand like China has got so many young artist/entrepreneurs who can easily imitate others' artwork. Bear in mind, I'm not criticizing anyone or any country in particular but just to share a piece of info to anyone reading this of art piracy that I saw.
    274 weeks ago
    how is it it nor fair to the artist to sell over sees. you mean sell the actual high quality art so they could print it also? anothersite owns the rights and pays good money, they can do what ever they want
    273 weeks ago
    You misunderstood me. When I said it's unfair, I meant the art thieves, not anothersite. Stealing art and selling for profit without permission and acknowledgment is unfair to the artists.