Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago
These are my first attempts at designing shirts, so I'd love some constructive criticism on how to make them better. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

16Comments
    136 weeks ago
    Here's another possible submission that I'd love some critique on. I know SlayerFest has probably been done a lot, but I couldn't resist doing my own version and hopefully the 10 year anniversary angle makes it a little unique. :)

MxpNt.png
    136 weeks ago
    I don't know why no-one else has commented on these but I'll start.

Overall, I do not think you are lacking in skill. Sometimes people come up with great ideas, but weak execution. Your artistic skills are strong and I'm sure it won't be too long before we see a design of yours somewhere.

The Connor Zone design concept seems a little at odds with the theme (he mostly breaks machines rather than fixing them). I'm afraid I cannot recall with the brand referenced, but it looks familiar. If you were to run with it, I feel the text should occupy more of the design. It might not match the reference so closely but I think the ConnorZone text should bigger and the text underneath fill more of the negative space.

The BSG bar sign has some potential, the chopped corners of the frame are a neat touch. Again here I feel the text is too isolated. I believe Joe's Bar should almost fill from left to right and the top and bottom text need to be bigger. The list items could do with a little something, I don't know what but they also feel a bit small. I would try to incorporate some other BSG elements, the logo shape is the most obvious. If you could sneak in more subtle references like the corners then so much the better.

Your Koolaid parody is more or less good to print. I'd tweak the illustration of the cherries and the character. Here your line work is not quite 100%, I suggest varying the line width and drawing the line shapes rather than letting your paint package round off or square the ends. I confess I don't know what show/fandom you are referencing though, but with the text sneak in as much as you can. These little nods to the theme enhance a design.

The Slayer fest design works for the theme, but yet again I think your text could do with more impact. The main white text is right on the money, I'd still make it a bit bigger maybe. The blood background needs only the smallest of tweaks, those hilights and shadows don't quite feel right though the shape itself is spot on. The rest of the text underwhelms me, the wording seems fine but the layout doesn't give the punch I think it needs. Find someway of sprucing it up without making it seem at odds with the dark theme.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your designs :)

136 weeks ago
    This is amazingly helpful, thanks Chuffy!! I've started tweaking and I'll post new drafts when I have them.

One question though: Do you have any advice on how to get the highlights and shading to look right? Illustration is definitely my weak point, and I've googled around for tutorials, but I can't find a good one.

Thanks again!
    136 weeks ago
    bananna620 said: One question though: Do you have any advice on how to get the highlights and shading to look right?

Yes, you can find loads of tutorials if you google for 'Button Glow'. The technique was all the rage a while ago so you should find some guides. Sure they apply to a slightly different material, not blood, but the idea is similar.
    136 weeks ago
    Revisions oo two of them:

IhcSr.png
    I left the rounded off strokes for the character because I like the cartoon-y look it gives him, but I think I covered all the other suggestions and I'm loving how this is coming together.

6LQk2.png
    I'm still not sure I have the highlights right. I see what you mean about it being the same as the button glow in theory, but I'm not sure it can be done the same way because of the gradients and irregular shape of the blood. I'm also not sure the smaller text is right yet either, but I do think it's looking a lot better.

I could probably keep tweaking forever, but I'm satisfied with both of them enough at this point that I think they'll be final submissions unless more suggestions come in. :)
    135 weeks ago
    Update on ConnorZone:

gNkiz.png

My friend and I brainstormed to see if we could come up with a word or name that worked better than "Connor", like something related to Skynet or Cyberdine or Miles Dyson, but none of those words had the right ring. I think "Connor" works because Sarah and John do fix the ones that are programmed to protect him, but if anyone has other suggestions, I'm definitely open to them. :)
    135 weeks ago
    Really like the slayer fest design and concept -- what a great episode to base a design on.
    135 weeks ago
    Sorry I missed replying 4 days ago, not sure what I was doing that day but I missed your update.

The Kooaid one is about as right as it needs to be. Your extra references (I spotted the zft on the pouch) add more to the design. I looked up Fringe after you posted, must get around to watching it.

Upping the Text size on the SlayerFest works. I think if you just knock out the black lowlights on the blood, the white hilights will do the job on their own.

The ConnorZone design, I just thought, if you could get in "Repair and ReProgramming" instead it would really sell the design. Something along those words anyway.

Good update. :)
    135 weeks ago
    Koolaid, obviously... ***curses at no forum edit function***
    135 weeks ago
    Chuffy said: Sorry I missed replying 4 days ago, not sure what I was doing that day but I missed your update.

The Kooaid one is about as right as it needs to be. Your extra references (I spotted the zft on the pouch) add more to the design. I looked up Fringe after you posted, must get around to watching it.

Upping the Text size on the SlayerFest works. I think if you just knock out the black lowlights on the blood, the white hilights will do the job on their own.

The ConnorZone design, I just thought, if you could get in "Repair and ReProgramming" instead it would really sell the design. Something along those words anyway.

Good update. :)

I wondered about maybe deleting the black lowlights from SlayerFest, and since both of us thought of that, it's probably the way to go. I've already submitted it around, but that's an easy adjustment to make if it gets picked up somewhere.

The Cortexiph-aid design has been picked up on another site, and is doing well in the voting on yet another site, so I'm pretty proud of it. That one was my very first idea, and I'm really excited that it's doing so well. :)))

As for Fringe, definitely give it a look! The first half of season one is a little slow at times, but it picks up from there and becomes mind blowing in the later episodes.

For ConnorZone, I love love love the reprogramming suggestion!! I might say "parts and reprogramming" but I'll definitely incorporate something to that effect. Thanks so much!

And thanks to Andree for the compliment! I'm glad you like it. :)
    135 weeks ago
    bananna620 said:
    The Cortexiph-aid design has been picked up on another site, and is doing well in the voting on yet another site, so I'm pretty proud of it. That one was my very first idea, and I'm really excited that it's doing so well. :)))

I recall seeing it somewhere else. I cannot mention where as Teefury get jealous/angry/editty. Congratulations.

Try subbing some of your work here, you may get a print up. It can take many attempts though, so hang in there.
    135 weeks ago
    Yep, I've been submitting here, and I know it can take many tries before one hits the mark, so I'm happy to keep at it till then.

If anyone is interested, I post my finished/submitted designs on tumblr along with details about their success. :)
    135 weeks ago
    Another update:

6wKrK.png

I'm really starting to like how this is shaping up. Any other thoughts? Or is it ready for submitting?
    135 weeks ago
    It's killing me how small that orange text is. But the design idea feels right now.

Could you tell me whose logo it is? It's familiar but I can't place it.
    135 weeks ago
    Yeah, it's a little smaller than I'd like, but the whole thing will be about 3x bigger in the real print, so it'll be much easier to read than it is in the preview there.

It's the AutoZone logo.
    135 weeks ago
    Out of all of these, I really love the Fringe idea. The AutoZone/Terminator shirt is clever, but not really my cup of tea. But both of those designs are deserving of a print with a little more work. Really creative work!