Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago
Hi all -

Here is a design I have been working on. I hope you River Song fans will like it.

Can I get feedback on design elements? I wanted a stylized TARDIS so I added the thicker outline and rounded feet and corners and light on top. Does it need border elements around the design or does the simple shape on the shirt work with the HK inspiration? I assume this would work best on a pink shirt (so the last one shows how it looks against pink), but I am open to suggestions for that as well. Thanks in advance!

Dave

v2

v3

v4

v9

13Comments
    136 weeks ago
    It's a cute idea, but we get 1,000,000,000 Dr Who submissions. It's gonna be hard to break in and get printed with a Tardis or Dr Who design in general.
    136 weeks ago
    Mayby do hello kitty dressed up like river song?,
    I think that might work better
    135 weeks ago
    jimiyo said: It's a cute idea, but we get 1,000,000,000 Dr Who submissions. It's gonna be hard to break in and get printed with a Tardis or Dr Who design in general.

Seldom do the Teefury crew offer direct design feedback, in fact almost never.

If designs are selected with that kind of bias against the most popular requested fandom, perhaps we could have some insight into what Teefury want to print; rather than what the overwhelming number of customers are asking for.
    135 weeks ago
    you don't seem to get the actual point, chuffy: if 1,000,000,000 Dr. Who designs are submitted, submitting another one actually reduces your chances of getting printed rather than giving you better prospects. it's not really a bias ... it's very simple math. TeeFury can only print so many Dr. Who designs before people start complaining. this leads to the fact that only maybe 0.001% of all submitted Dr. Who designs get printed, whereas maybe 5% of all ... say ... Venture Bros designs are printed, because there's only ... dunno ... 20 of them.

you as a designer have to either aim right between "way to effin' popular & overcrowded" and "obscure & almost certainly a shelf hugger" OR simply deliver the greatest design in the history of Dr. Who / Star Wars shirts ... and you have a print

I still ask myself how many Dr. Who shirts this planet needs and who on earth wears all of them. But then again I never wtached a single episode of Dr. Who ...

you see ... there's no bias against the most popular design (would be pretty stupid from TF's side), it's simply numbers.
    135 weeks ago
    Thank you all for the comments so far. I appreciate the quality of submissions on this site. Since I am new to the submission process here (but not to design in general), I wanted to find out the best way to get feedback from the community. I see others that are asking for feedback in the forums here so I assumed it was the best way to help tweak a design to appeal to the target TeeFury audience. If it is not, then forgive me, I will look into other channels to refine my work before submitting it here. My goal is to create a design that will stand out amid the 1,000,000,000 others :)

So then, if it is OK to get comment and critique feedback, then let me circle back to my original questions.

1. This shirt is intended to be, by design, minimalist. So I want to capture just the essence of geek plus kawaii.

2. I am interested in how much of the Hello Kitty inspired elements are required. Is the bow sufficient or do the eyes, whiskers and/or flower add enough to justify their inclusion?

3. Is the TARDIS still too boxy or did my rounding of it in places add a softness to the hard edges?

4. Does the designer have input on the color of the T shirt produced? Pink is the obvious choice here. While I personally do not have a problem wearing a pink shirt, I do understand that this design and color choice would be more appealing to the girl geeks among us.

Reading through the forums, there seems to be an audible rumbling for girl inspired geek wear, so I am trying to appeal to that. Given that those of us who are not girls still have girlfriends, wives, daughters, friends, etc in our lives, this could still be appealing as a gift to someone else if not for oneself.

So what can I do to my design to make it a 2 in 1,000,000,000 chance of being selected? :)

Thanks.

Dave
    135 weeks ago
    My apologies to you, Dave, for the slight derailment. I like the design and with a Hello Kitty obsessed partner, I have a knife to my throat demanding I say how good it is. No, I just kid, I do genuinely like the design. Good luck with it :)

kgullholmen said: you don't seem to get the actual point...

I do get the point. My point might seem tangential but is absolutely related.

Take Dr Who T-Shirts. August's most requested theme with about 94 people. Not including Torchwood which was about 40 people.

In August 2 Dr Who shirts were printed. One was a mash up of Harry Potter and an older version of Dr Who, it was distinctly less popular than the other purely Who design (not a comment on the quality, I thought it was good, just the sales).

Harry Potter requests for August about 86.

In August as far as I can tell the only Harry Potter design was the aforementioned Potter/Who mash up. As mentioned this was a less popular design.

kgullholmen said: there's no bias against the most popular design (would be pretty stupid from TF's side), it's simply numbers.

Those are the numbers. I do not think Teefury are stupid. I think their schedule is at times haphazard, arbitrary and leads to the sort of complaint raised about Back to the Future shirts recently.

3 Back to the Future shirts printed so close together was an oversaturation of a less requested but popular theme; which lead to some unfair criticism and the respective artists not realising their full sales potential. I'd have hated to be the third artist on the list.
    135 weeks ago
    The forums are absolutely a good place to post to get advice on tweaking designs. :)

2. I personally would like to see a version with the bow, flower and whiskers but without the curve of the face since it looks a bit weird. I don't know if that many elements would be OTT, but I'd like to see it. ;)

3. The shape of the Tardis looks good and suits the design. I wouldn't round it off anymore personally.

4. I think it depends on the colour chosen and availability. If Teefury thinks the colour works, would sell well, and they can get hold of it at that time they'd probably stick with the designers choice. In the past they've occasionally changed it to either something they think is more "suitable" or to something they can get hold of.
    135 weeks ago
    @chuffy: well yes, it may look very random or haphazard, but that's only for us, the casual observers. I do believe MJ & jimiyo & whoever is also involved in planning the TFschedule have to consider a lot of things to keep the site interesting & working. not only "how many Dr. Who designs did we have last week" or "can we pull another "artsy" shirt just now" but dull stuff like "we've had six 5 colour prints in a row. we need some monochrome prints or costs will go through the roof" or "what good designs are actually available this week" (let's face it: from 100 designs submitted maybe 2 are great, like 5 are good and another 10-15 are maybe ... my best guess. I've seen outstanding designs in this forums, and I've seen absolute rubbish ... and a lot of 'meow' in between).

point: Teefury probably has a lot of stuff to consider when putting their schedule together ... sometimes one issue outweighs the other and whatnot.

@Dave: I am VERY SORRY FOR DERAILING YOUR TOPIC!! I'm done now. I really like the design even though I know next to nothing about Dr. Who nor Hello Kitty. just be careful to not take it too far into the Hello Kitty direction, I heard Cpt. Ribman (play his title theme here) got into some legal trouble with that darn cat. I do however love the idea of having a more girly design every once in a while, however this supposed to work or look
    135 weeks ago
    II think this design could absolutely work with just the bow in the "hair", but you would have to make the tardis chunkier. Does that make sense? Like take out some of the detail in the tardis maybe two panels instead of 4 for example)
    135 weeks ago
    I enjoy the pink version best (the typography is really nice), but I feel like the pink flower on the door could be replaced with something that is more distinctly "River". Maybe the cloth star with her name on it from "A Good Man Goes to War?" Her sonic? Something that seems a little more personal to the character?

Or maybe, instead of the TARDIS, you should Kitty-fy River's TARDIS-shaped diary book?

I think this is a cute idea.
    135 weeks ago
    I'm actually working on a similar design, except I Kitty-fied River: http://www.dontblinktees.com/extra/sweetie_copy.jpg
    It's still a rough sketch at the moment. I haven't gotten around to coloring it yet.
    135 weeks ago
    Hey Dave,

Honestly, as a female Who fan, there is no way I'd wear anything referencing Hello Kittie. There has to be a way to make a female centric Who shirt without putting a pink bow on the Tardis.
    135 weeks ago
    Have to agree with rackfocus.