Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago
2 New Designs! First up is the clash of the two most evil characters in history:

Photobucket
Darth Vader vs. Lord Voldemort
[I'm pretty happy with this one, i'm just not sure if it might need something a little more to jazz it up. The original drawing was drawn in colored pencil, hence the bizarre quality of the design, but i thought the "texture" kind of gave it some character.]

Next is a design idea i've had for months but have finally just realized. Ash: Pokemon-Zombie Master!
Photobucket
[Mash-up of Pokemon and Evil Dead/Army of Darkness. Ash is the name of the hero in Evil Dead, coincidentally so is the name of the famous Pokemon trainer. Hence the mashing.]

Also available in Red Version:
Photobucket

16Comments
    136 weeks ago
    I like the drawings in the first one, but to me the two characters feel a little disconnected. To me, they don't appear to be on the same plane.

You'll need to address the colors, since you're allowed 6 not including color of shirt. Some halftoning will be needed if you plan on staying true to the style you have going. And the non Vader guy's hand without the wand looks a little weird.

Other than that, I dig it, and think it has some potential.

The Pokemon one, I have mixed feelings about. Haha, only because I really like Pokemon and it's just odd to see them as flesh eating zombies.
    136 weeks ago
    The Pokemon/army of darkness one is epic!
    136 weeks ago
    OK, I really hate to do this, but it was drilled into me for the last 15 years of my career and will never stop so I'm going to give it back. Trust me, this will help you... I speak from experience.

Image A)

Design with purpose! You could spend a full year creating the most detailed, lush image anyone has ever seen on paper and it would rule the world. But that's not going to do you ANY good if your intent was to print it on a 5 or 6 color silk screen print. All you would be left with was another year's worth of work recreating it. Know what you want to do, make a plan, THEN design!

While you have enough obvious skill to pull this off, the fact is this is nothing more than a concept sketch. There is no "draw/scan/auto trace/tee shirt" moment here. Take what you have, do a lot of homework researching methodology (something I did hour after hour when I started) and appraise your art with open honesty about what works and what doesn't.

For example: If I were to hazard a guess, I would say you found a pic of Vader and a pic of... Valder-face-whatever (sorry not a HP guy) and just faced them off against each other. There is no real interaction because there never was any to begin with..

Again, I'm sorry because I know how critiques can be rough, but I think the time spent on this could have been better spent on some simple pencil sketches depicting this confrontation in 100 different poses and would have served you better.

Hit the drawing board again but with a loose sense of what you want and just let things come out as they do. put yourself in the mind of each character and feel it more.

a design with a lot of heart and thought and less "texture" and "character" will go much further with connecting to the viewer. Trust me. 4 months ago I started out very similar to this.

Image B)

While I think many things from Image A still apply, I think you put more thought and heart into this one. Can I just say that the subtle, and likely largely unnoticed detail of the pokeball/chansaw is the most genius thing I have seen in forever!

I think there is a LOT that can be done with this image. Apply the same advice from Image A: homework! methods! Clean this up and the concept will sell it. Just make the art match the concept and you have a winner.

You clearly have talent, you just need to do what I did and study people who have been successful at what you want to do. Hit the gallery, find art you admire, figure out what they are doing, apply it and you will have some seriously cool shirts! Especially the Ash design, OMG awesome.
    136 weeks ago
    Thanks for the feedback!

A) I drew this picture a while ago for a friend, and it's been really popular, so i tried to turn it into a shirt. I agree with you, it's not the best depiction of the two clashing. I think i will redraw this one more specifically to be a shirt.

B) Thank you! What specific stuff should i apply to it?
    136 weeks ago
    Bump
    136 weeks ago
    LOVE the zombie-ash design!
    136 weeks ago
    Thanks! I'm really happy with it too
    136 weeks ago
    Have Ash locked in battle with the pokezombies. Have a couple hanging from his legs or something with the chainsaw buzzing and having him engaged with them. Or is he supposed to have tamed them? Am I missing the point?
    136 weeks ago
    smt44 said: Have Ash locked in battle with the pokezombies. Have a couple hanging from his legs or something with the chainsaw buzzing and having him engaged with them. Or is he supposed to have tamed them? Am I missing the point?

It's not really intended to be that complex. It's just supposed to be a t-shirt, not an illustration. I guess in this scenario, it's Ash challenging the pokezombies
    135 weeks ago
    Zombie Ash is an instabuy...pretty cool concept. Work on it and tune it up and you have money!
    135 weeks ago
    OMG YE VOLDEMORT AND VADER
    but I'm not digging the pencil ness of the design.
    134 weeks ago
    i LOVE the idea of the first one.... but (no offense) it would be better if it wasn't hand-drawn...
    134 weeks ago
    Thanks Allywebs, i agree, i think i could've drawn and colored it better.
    130 weeks ago
    Re-edited the Ash-Pokemon Zombie design!

Photobucket
    129 weeks ago
    I so want the first one. cleaned up (they look distant - their feet dont really line up).
    129 weeks ago
    I love the Pokemon one! maybe add bigger or more pokezombies to the background? mostly because i want to see more hehe