Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago

I shelved this design awhile ago and thought I dust it off and see if you guys think if it's worth finishing.

The penguins are still nothing more than white out lines. And the Ice King lacks a lighting attack in his yellow hand. Should I make his crown more like in the show? And I might drop the green and just use a yellow gradient on top of the blue to create a green back pack. Free up my 6th color for something else.

I think it needs more text. (which I hate) to give it more of a cheesy B-Movie feel. Perhaps a tag line at the top, "When a Time Calls For..."

Any other ideas to cement the B-Movie look?
28Comments
    136 weeks ago
    Dude! This is awesome. You have a really cool style. I don't have much criticism, except for at first glance, it was hard to make out Bubblegum princess in the ice. It looked like some kind of creature walking out of the cave.

It could be the image size though, but the penguins looked like the legs of said creature. Good luck on getting printed!
    136 weeks ago
    This is the coolest adventure time design I've seen! Clean it up with the above suggestions and submit it!
    136 weeks ago
    Love adventure time but this design just isn't really doing it for man. But based on the responses you're getting I'll need to step up my adventure time design.
    136 weeks ago
    I could increase the size of the Bubblegum princess and penguins by a little bit.. Or I might just try and make those 4 penguins more defined so it look like they are carrying something. Maybe have them pulling a sleigh?

@Walrus. Is there anything specific that turns you off or is it just the style/interpretation I did this in. I know it lacks the goofy off the wall randomness of AT but I'd hate to turn off the fans this is marketed towards.
    136 weeks ago
    I've been thinking about it and I think it's mainly the title- it doesn't seem like a movie title at all. I also don't really like the way Finn and Jake have been drawn-Finn seems too hunched over me and: you've basically depicted Jake as an ordinary dog which doesn't make sense to me based on the fact that he's a magic dog, what I'm trying to say is: if the ice king has magic then why not Jake?
    136 weeks ago
    That's actually a pretty good point about magic. I'm going to ponder that conundrum.

Originally the full title was "A Time for Adventure" I was just struggling where to place the "A Time for" without it looking out of place.

Thanks Walrus that was really helpful.
    136 weeks ago
    No promblem. I'm currently working on a "Vampire queen of Ooo" movie poster, to address Jake; maybe give him the same eyes that he has in the series.
    136 weeks ago
    I don't watch the show, but this is a great design. Add "Time for" in the space betwixt the mountains and Ice King's hand, over the sky a little, to make the movie title "Time for Adventure". Then it has all the words of the cartoon in the title, but more dramatically.
    136 weeks ago
    I don't watch AT, but this is a pretty cool design. I definitely think dropping the green to free up a 6th color is a good way to go.

As for adding "A Time for" somewhere, I'd suggest putting it just above the "ADV", either in the beard or right on top of the letters themselves.

I'd love to see an updated draft of this. :)
    135 weeks ago
    adventuretime2copy.jpg

UPDATE:

Green is gone. Replaced the backpack with a halftone. Now I need to replace the Ice King's robe.

Crown is different, added some depth to the Mountains. I think I prefer the cloudless sky and his hand clinched in anger. Now there is this angle created with the Mt and King that runs parallel to the text.

What do you think about the text on the skins. Will that print alright on a tee. Gives the design more of a poster feel don't you think?

Enlarged the ice block with Princess, good suggestion. Started some detail on the penguins on the left. Went with Jake in a boxing stance, decided since this is a B-Movie poster a rubber dog fighting would better fit the ridiculous theme of classic movies like Attack of the 50 Foot Tall Woman.

Do you like that pose Jake is in?

Placed "A Time For" back where I originally had it. When bananna620 suggested the exact spot I had it in without seeing it, I figured that had to be the right spot.
    135 weeks ago
    Absolutely awesome! I love the halftoning but i have no idea about how it would print, i can't imagine it'd be a problem.
    135 weeks ago
    I really like the changes you've made but as a watcher there's something a bit off about Jake's face, he looks a little old.
    But then that also kind of goes with the style.... Oh I can't decide

Maybe experiment a little in that regard?
    135 weeks ago
    I actually liked Jake more before, I don't know why, but it's still looking good.
    135 weeks ago
    Maybe I need to take the white out of Jake's muzzle.

Do you think I need to mock up a couple different Jakes?
    135 weeks ago
    I liked Jake better in the first one as well, but I think it's just because a stretched out realistic-looking dog looks weird to me. He does have sort of a bump on his stomach/torso that seems too wide in comparison to the rest of his body that could be making him look weird in the second version.
    134 weeks ago
    adventuretime3copy.jpg

UPDATE: Final one possibly?

Took away Jake's cartoony stance and colored in muzzle in yellow. Does that look like a happy medium between to two previous Jakes?

Any suggestions on the penguins? Do they look finished?

Also thoughts on the lighting coming from Ice King hand? Does that read alright as an electric fist of rage?

Plus any other obviously lacking elements from this design
    that need to be pointed out please do so, sometimes when you work so close with something for so long you miss stuff right in front of your face.
    134 weeks ago
    I think this is pretty crazy epic. The improvements you've made have, for me, definitely turned this into an "eh, possible buy" to "insta-buy." However, as you're going for the B-movie look, I think a tag line would work well. Just not sure what and if that would then make it too busy. This really is a great shirt though. You've done an excellent job.
    134 weeks ago
    Tagline: what time is it?
    134 weeks ago
    Thanks Iveanmls, I appreciate that. The comments have really helped in this design.

Originally I felt it needed more text to get the B-Movie feel but at the same time I don't want it too look like a poster slapped on a t-shirt. Then you'd get all those comments about how they would love this to hang on the wall but not to wear on a t-shirt.

Now I'm not sure on a tag or not. I guess if the people feel it's needed to solidify the idea, I can toy around with some placements.

116 weeks ago
    If anyone is still interested in this design check my Facebook for the latest info.
    102 weeks ago
    Caddywompus! I am a newcomer to your art and I fell in love with this shirt design, but I missed the day it was available! Do you plan on resubmitting it to any other sites? btw I already ordered the "Guardians of Sunshine" shirt which is also very awesome!
    102 weeks ago
    I don't think this one will see the light of day anywhere else other than my RB shop.The text probably scares most people off so unless I revisit this design and overhaul some areas of concern I doubt this gets printed again. I tried dropping this to 4 colors in hopes to increase my chances of a print but no luck. Thanks though I appreciate it.
    102 weeks ago
    Dude, I loved it and got it when it was on another site. I don't know why nobody else will pick up this design for you. :(
    102 weeks ago
    I have an adventure time shirt in XL Mens.

Contact me if anyone wants it

[email protected]
    99 weeks ago
    Hey Caddywompus! Will you be getting this up on RedBubble again anytime soon? I was looking to get this shirt for my boyfriend's birthday in a few months. If not, I'll probably get Guardians of Sunshine for him (but I'll still be drooling over this design). Just curious - I LOVE the design!

PS: I really liked Jake in the boxing stance. ;D
  • Load More Comments