Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago
Still have some illustration left to go but I wanted to get some suggestions for empire related imagery I can work into it (like the way the Imperial Symbol is) as well as opinions on the concept over all. thanks as always guys!

Photobucket
23Comments
    136 weeks ago
    Must. Have. This.

Excellent design.
    136 weeks ago
    That's some lazy work there. You've just drawn half the picture then copied and rotated it 180 degrees. ;)

Very nice work. I cannot really suggest much in the way of improvement other than to ask whether you intend to put the suit on or not. I see Vader as a Spades man. Although I note you used Clubs on the helm which is a neat little touch. Perhaps the hands could be a bit bigger.

Other than that, I see pancakes. A tumbling great stack of them.
    136 weeks ago
    Work smarter, not harder Chuffy! lmao! anyway, I debated about a suit but couldn't really decide. I'll post images with them included and see what you guys think. As for the hands, it kills me too how small they are, but it's scale to the actual Hoyle ( I think it's the Hoyle) suicide King so I didn't feel like I should change too much so it would retain enough of the source... idk
    136 weeks ago
    Regarding the hands, do what works for the design, not what's the most true to the source. It's not as if anyone is EVER going to look at this and think "Some playing card. His HANDS ARE TOO BIG!"
    136 weeks ago
    Regarding the suit, you could make the suit the imperial symbol, and put the death star in place of it in the body of the design.
    136 weeks ago
    warbington said: Regarding the hands, do what works for the design, not what's the most true to the source. It's not as if anyone is EVER going to look at this and think "Some playing card. His HANDS ARE TOO BIG!"

legitimate point
    136 weeks ago
    warbington said: Regarding the suit, you could make the suit the imperial symbol, and put the death star in place of it in the body of the design.

that's not a bad idea, i may have to try that out! thanks!
    136 weeks ago
    Awesome design! I'd make it a little smaller though
    136 weeks ago
    smurf yes i will buy this
    136 weeks ago
    what about a basic space scape behind vader? just simple dots representing stars? also, the lines running vertically representing the king's robes had a pattern in them and I wanted to do something empire-related for vader. any suggestions?
    136 weeks ago
    For the symbol use either spades or clubs and put a non detailed tie fighter in the middle of it. After all it was vaders vehicle of choice
    136 weeks ago
    I like the idea of dots for stars, but be careful of making it too busy if you're going to add more patterns. It really doesn't need more detail, it's already very well done.

I definitely think warbington was on to something with the Imperial symbol as the suit.
    136 weeks ago
    Thanks guys, here is my final sub. There were things I implemented like a star field in the BG, changing the size of his hands and adding a death star (2 death stars, fittingly enough), a TIE fighter pattern down the robe and a slight distress to add to the ominous mood. There were other things I tried but just distracted too much, like adding a suit. I'm REALLY happy with the way it turned out; you guys never let me down ;)
    136 weeks ago
    Photobucket
    136 weeks ago
    I'm glad you sorted the hands. Vader with tiny hands is more disturbing than regular Vader. And this is for Star Wars fans, not playing card fans :D

I wouldn't sweat the lack of a suit since you have the clubs on his helm. The Tie fighters running thru the middle are another neat detail.

I agree the design needs a distress to enhance the theme. However, I feel the current distress is too strong and looks more like wood grain. Google image search 'worn playing card' or perhaps go for a lighter flaked distress like an old worn out printed T-shirt. Distresses can be a P.I.T.A. to get right. I know this means more work, sorry. I wouldn't suggest it, but it's a great design (it'll probably be your biggest seller so far) and I feel the distress is letting it down.
    136 weeks ago
    Version 2 of this design rocks very hard.

I agree with Chuffy that it might be distressed a little too much, but overall I do like the distressed look more than the clean.

I know it would throw off the symmetry but I think it would be fun to see one of the death stars full and the other one half built.
    136 weeks ago
    Daaaaang. I love that design. I would definitely get this if it gets accepted.

Question: What programs did you use in designing this?
    136 weeks ago
    photoshop + illustrator
    136 weeks ago
    This is a great design, I also think the distress is a little heavy and the image could be a little smaller on the shirt.

I am not as keen on the addition of the death star, but I love the changes to the body of Vader.
    136 weeks ago
    codenamerocky said: I know it would throw off the symmetry but I think it would be fun to see one of the death stars full and the other one half built.

This!
    127 weeks ago
    I WANT THIS!
    127 weeks ago
    How in the hell has this not been printed yet?
    126 weeks ago
    Ok great design concept, as is would be a buy , you work on it and Im sure the fianlised version will still be great.