Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago
This is my first attempt at a design and was looking for some feedback. I hope someone gets the reference.

Also, is there a certain color palette that any of you guys prefer when designing for tees?

Thanks,

Shane

Photobucket
12Comments
    136 weeks ago
    I like the reference, but I just don't think its got enough going for it.
    136 weeks ago
    Too plain? Not enough detail? Wrong color scheme? Or just a horrible design? lol

What are some things you might do differently?
    136 weeks ago
    I don't know the reference, so I am only able to critique the artwork. I'll start by saying that, for a first attempt, there is certainly promise here. Although this might be a sizable list of recommendations, I only list them for you because I think you can really do something with this design :)

- To address your question on colors, you really have to use what the design is calling for. often the reference will dictate some of that, but not knowing the reference I would have to say that the colors are off for what this is portraying. It looks like an old time logo; something that would appear on a bottle in 1903. As such, I think muted colors, earth tones.

- The wood cut lines should extend through the empty spaces, truncating around the text to leave an implied margin around it (hard to explain, hope that makes sense). Also, the top left line extends past the circular boarder, just clean that line up real quick.

- The font works very well for the "EST. 1903" but the fill color combined with the thick stroke weight kills it in the main text. I would suggest a different font there.

- The main image works, but I think additional wood cut lines would help sell it if used sparingly and appropriately.

- Lastly, and this is tricky... The bottle has a label on it, but it isn't the label you are portraying... but if it DID have the label you are portraying, you would end up with the infinite mirror effect so I'm not sure what to advise there lol

By the way, can you fill me in on the reference?
    136 weeks ago
    Wow! Thanks for the critique. I'll try to work on it and implement some of the things you suggest.

The reference is an X-files episode where a man named Eugene Tooms is a mutant who can elongate his body and fit into tiny spaces, through vents an whatnot. Mulder suspects him (correctly) of being responsible for murders of 5 victims every 33 years in which he eats the victims' livers and then hibernates for another 33 years. Tooms was born in 1903.

I'm an X-Files junkie.

Thanks again for your help.

Shane
    136 weeks ago
    OH! I remember that episode! very nice!
    136 weeks ago
    Ok, here is my revision based on the critique that dakin_costello gave me.

Tell me what you guys think.

Photobucket
    136 weeks ago
    I dig the idea. Tooms was always one of my favourite bad guys from the x-files!

My only suggestion would be maybe make the text look less 'stock' and more prominent.
    And possibly make the horizontal lines a shade lighter.

But hey man keep tinkering with this, I like where it could go!
    136 weeks ago
    yes much better but I agree that the main text just isn't working still.... however, you have made it a much more solid design already!
    136 weeks ago
    Thanks guys. I'll keep playing around with it and see what I can do with the text. I thought if I just took the fill color out it would have helped, but you're right about it just not working.

I really appreciate your input.

Shane
    135 weeks ago
    Made some more changes to logo text and added some border and distress to it. What do you guys think?

Photobucket
    135 weeks ago
    I like the idea a lot. As an X-files fan (X-Phile?) I think Tooms is one of the best, creepiest villains of the show.

I feel your center circle needs some work. I agree with what Dakin is saying about the text.

Here's some ideas, feel free to use or ignore any of them.
    *The picture in the center could be bigger
    *Green with Red is not a good combo, check a color wheel to see what could work better with the Red liver
    *E.V.Tooms' Liver Marinade text could be larger and a larger size gives more font options (possible decoration too)
    *Once you have chosen your colors, don't be afraid to use them especially on the text
    *If you can't fit it pleasingly in the circle, don't be afraid to break over its border or go with another shape

I hope this doesn't seem like too much critique, mostly it's just sizing and coloring tweaks.
    135 weeks ago
    Good points, Chuffy. However red and green go great together. Where's your Christmas spirit? Lol. Back to work on it. I'll make the changes you suggest and see how it works. I definitely agree that i need to do something with the text. Also, my avatar is almost finished, too. :)