Back to forum
rss 137 weeks ago
This is a bit of a parody of a local gun store's logo, of course mine stars Megatron, instead of some boring, plain ol' gun.

I already sub'ed to Teefury, but now I wish I would have waited, because I made the gun bigger right after I submitted it. (This is the bigger gun version).

Anything else I should change? How many times can I re-sub this thing before they get annoyed at me?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
11Comments
    137 weeks ago
    I don't really get the ties to transformers at all...nor what this is aiming to be so I'm not quite sure what to critique

Sorry :(
    137 weeks ago
    Umm... it's Megatron in gun form, and a huge Decepticon symbol, and as I said in the description, it's a logo for a gun store.
    137 weeks ago
    well only the most hardcore of transformer fan would know Megatron turned into that gun. I actually had to google it to see what you were talking about. i grew up watching the cartoons and watched the current gen movies and even i had no idea...

anyways a casual fan would likely only see the decepticon logo and it honestly just seems out of place without some sort idea that says (p.s. That gun there...its Megatron).

The title of the shop "The Gun Shop". You really gotta think of something better as its really bland.

The design seems like a start but the ties to Transformers need to be stronger. As I said, first glance all i saw was the logo and had to actually google to see that the gun was Megatron. Good luck :)
    137 weeks ago
    Hah, Everybody who lived in the 80's knows Megatron turned into a gun! Anyways, these shirts are 'marketed' towards fans of whats being parodied and who would understand the references. EXAMPLE: I don't understand half the shirts on here because they are either A.) Harry Potter or B.) Dr. Who shirts... so I don't buy them. BUT: I am also a fan of A.) Guns and B.) Transformers... So I would buy this shirt after some refinement!

This is the gun store image being referenced by the way
    some_text
    137 weeks ago
    Thanks Pacman 81 for the sensible advice. Any suggestions on what refinements would improve the design?
    137 weeks ago
    I grew up in the 80's, watched the cartoon and I've seen the new films and I still didn't know he turned into a gun so to say everyone will, well there's two people right here saying that we don't, you can't just dismiss that and say "oh everyone else will get it". Well I suppose you could, but it won't work out in your favor.

Secondly Parodies work on a basic principle of turning an ICONIC image into something it's not. For example the Obama Hope poster has been parodied ad nauseum, the image of the flag being raised at Iwo Jima, Washington crossing the Delaware, those are all INSTANTLY recognizable by the majority of people. Sufficed to say I don't think The Gun Store in Nevada has the instant recognizability that you need for a good parody tee. Just my opinion. Hope this helps
    137 weeks ago
    Thanks for the info beware. I agree that a parody should be of an iconic image, but in this case I don't think it's necessary for everyone to recognize the parody. These sorts of designs are done all the time where something that is iconic (Megatron) is used to make a fictional logo, so even though mine parodies a real logo, no one need know that it's not just some fictional Gun store with Meg's as the logo, which is why I never posted an image of the Gun Store's logo in my original post.

I am a little perplexed by people saying that they didn't know Megatron was a gun. Seriously? You have 1984 in your username, was that your birth year, because that's when Megatron was a gun, maybe you're just too young to get it. People not getting it isn't good I know, but I struggle to believe that anyone in their 30's won't get it right away. Maybe the target for my design is just too small? IDK. I'll try to think of a way to improve that aspect though, so thanks.

Anyway, here's a little design tweak to the font to make it more "Transformer-y".
    4gunshopshirtnositeandd.th.jpg

And another to try to make it more logo-y. What think ye?
    3gunshopshirtwithsitean.th.jpg

137 weeks ago
    I gotta say it's not working for me either, no offense. I don't think it has the mass appeal that you think it does. For one thing, people don't get that Megatron was a gun. Even many transformers fans don't remember that. And even if they do, it's not as if that was a particularly important or memorable aspect of the show of of the toys.

Add to that the fact that the logo you're parodying isn't very interesting. It was well known, but bland, it might work. Or if it was an interesting design yet an unknown brand, it might work. But the sad fact is that the design is bland AND unknown to people, so you're not going to get a lot of people jumping all over this one.
    137 weeks ago
    Only fan's of transformers will get that he is a gun, that's obvious. The logo is a bit one dimentional for my taste. I would like to see another Transformer holding the gun maybe? Or a better choice of name, something that references transformers. Like 'Cybertron Gun Supplies' or something?
    29 weeks ago
    How can anyone who grew up in the 80s NOT know Megatron turned into THAT gun? That's like not knowing Mumm-Ra was a mummy....or that Cringer was Battle Cat. I'm sorry, but really? Has Michael Bay brainwashed the unclean masses that much? I dig the design, but it is missing that something. Can't put a finger on it though.
    28 weeks ago
    Wow. I'm not trying to be condescending here but I'm equally perplexed at how fans of classic Transformers couldn't immediately recognize that gun as Megatron. I just... man I really don't get it. Shirts on this site are typically aimed at hardcore fans so I think the gun is perfectly acceptable. Half the appeal of these designs is that they aim for specific groups of people, not the general masses. As for the rest of the design, I think the new font you used is a huge improvement. What about purple instead of or in addition to white? That might just make all the difference. I don't get the other part of the reference and that makes the whole concept a bit more 'iffy' but it could be a winner. Good luck!