Back to forum
rss 151 weeks ago
So I found this site last month if I'm not mistaken, and promptly bought the shirt that was for sale on that day. I was so happy when I got it.

Then, just yesterday, I thought of messing around on Illustrator for the first time ever. I never in my life tried that or even Photoshop. Just GIMP, for simple stuff, and drawing on Flash. So this is my first design EVER. Don't bee too harsh on me :b

chocdraft1

I have no experience so it took me nearly 7 hours to draw this. My original idea was to make a reference to FFVI, which is my favorite game of the series, but I figured more people would be interested in a FFVII reference.

However, if I were to buy this shirt, I'd probably feel more comfortable with a design that would be less specific, instead of being more focused on one game, even though Chocobos apply to all games. So here are my goals for my next update:

- - Work on the lines. I'll probably remove the strokes for a more logo-ish look.
- - Remove the strong particular reference to FFVII (sorry fans :c but I'll still leave a slight reference since this is about chocobo renting anyway).
- - Maybe make the shirt more subtle. Perhaps I'll remove the direct reference to the word "chocobo".

Any more suggestions? What do you think of the background color? I've tried others but the only thing that felt right for me besides this one was black.

Please leave your feedback. Thank you!
10Comments
    151 weeks ago
    The first thing that jumps out in terms of needing a fix is the separation between top and bottom. Not knowing wheat this was, someone might think it was actually 2 distinct and different logos. bring those together more, a lot more.

for some reason I haven't pinned down yet, I like the look of the feathers on the head and neck but not the tail feathers. i think it's because they seem to be in conflict with each other. Tail feathers should interlock more.

i don't LOVE the upper font, but it certainly works. the lower font is completely out of place though.

also, considering the way design elements move the viewers eyes around, the blue section is upside down. the "spikes" on the ends move my eyes right off the edge of a cliff. point them up to force the viewer back up to the top.

the shirt color is cool, but i'm not sure if it's a tee fury option. someone else might be better able to answer that. The colors in the design itself are really cool, however the blue throws me off a bit. I think another earthy tone would be better.

cool concept to be sure! looking forward to the progress!
    151 weeks ago
    Hiteryan said: I have no experience so it took me nearly 7 hours to draw this.

You have nothing to worry about. I think almost any artist on here will tell you 7 hours is nothing. I've spent easily an hour just tweaking a distress to get it as good as you have on your first attempt.

As I am not a fan of the FF game series (I don't think they're bad, I just haven't played them), I cannot offer much expert comment on the subject.

Purely on appearances I do feel you should move the Highwind Stable text out of the body of the Chocobo. You've got a nice shape for the head and tail, but the text disconnects it and doesn't look like the correct body length. A wing in the style you're using would probably look much nicer.

And a Brown shirt works with this color scheme, as does Black and possibly the Dark Blue. Check the gallery for shirt colors.
    151 weeks ago
    Ahah yes. Tweaking all those little details is what usually did put me off. This is quite fun though.

Thank you for your quick and extensive feedback. I have taken some issues into account and made some alterations.

chocdraft2

I have inverted the bottom logo and changed its color to green, so it fits better with the earthy colors. I also added more feathers to the tail and slightly rearranged them. And I removed the strokes on the Chocobo.

As for other changes, I changed the "Rent-a-Chocobo" to "Rent-a-Bird", so the reference is slightly more subtle. In contrast to this, I changed the name of the stable to Choco Bill's, which is also a reference to FFVII. However, I changed the established date to 1988, which is the year Chocobos were first introduced to the world, instead of 1997, which is the year of release of FFVII.

As far as Chuffy's suggestion on the wings goes, that is what I've tried with my original design. I was going to draw the full body, including legs, in this style, but that proved somewhat difficult and killed the "logo" style that I was aiming for. I'll still fix something up in the neck maybe though.

And I'm still wondering if I should change the background to black. What do you guys think? And again, thanks!
    151 weeks ago
    I do not love the change to Chocobo Bill's, I much preferred Highwind stable. And you also should possible move the name down to the actual logo. Maybe a smaller font and just above "Rent-a-bird" so that you can fill the spot that used to say Chocobo Bills with something resembling a chocobo's body. That'd help bring the design together as one full logo. Good first draft, though for sure.
    151 weeks ago
    Since alot of people are asking me to drop the lettering for more yummy Chocobo body, I did it here. I pretty much just added the wing, which sort of should act as the rest of the body. What do you think?

chocdraft3
    151 weeks ago
    making good progress! it still feels disjointed from the top half to the bottom half to me though. I know it's always pianful to ssmurf a lot of hard work, but what if you just simply used the head and lose the rest. Move it down to rest on top of the "Highwind Stable".... this would also allow you, since it would all be nice and tight, to create a sign shape to encompass the whole logo. As if it were the sign hanging at the stable. This would allow you to change the color of the shirt and still keep that nice earthy look. Like I said, I know it's a drastic change but I think it would resolve some of the lingering issues.
    151 weeks ago
    I did easily notice I'm gonna need a better way to connect the body. I'll try to make the wing more round and full. As for your idea, I did a quick draft here. It actually doesn't look bad, but I'm not sure if it makes the Chocobo too less obvious. Maybe I could fix that with changing the logo to Rent-a-Chocobo again. But I'd need input from FF fans here.

And I like the sign shape idea, though I'm not sure if that would turn off potential buyers because of the borders. I might look into that.

chocdraft4
    151 weeks ago
    it's almost what I meant. More accurately, I was suggesting using JUST the head. larger and centered over the rest. Does that make sense?
    151 weeks ago
    dakin_costello said: it's almost what I meant. More accurately, I was suggesting using JUST the head. larger and centered over the rest. Does that make sense?

This is perhaps what you meant?

chocdraft5
    151 weeks ago
    I've submitted the last design, with some very minor alterations. The effect looks better than I expected after cutting the colors to just effective six. I think there aren't many shirts with this color scheme.

What does everyone think? :)