Back to forum
rss 151 weeks ago
My latest sub to Teefury

Theme: Breaking Bad
Design Title: Blue Ice (Image Link)
T-Shirt Color: Dark Blue

This design is my attempt to break away from the bad designs that rely on little more than copying the periodic table title logo. ;)

Intended to look like the label of a Vodka bottle, it's what might appear on the shipments if Jesse and Walt were stupid enough to brand their product. As if the Blue color wasn't branding enough.

All the references
Heisenberg - pseudonym of Walter White
Cook - from Cap'n Cook, pseudonym of Jesse Pinkman
Blue Ice - color of the product, 'ice' being slang for meth
edge pattern - the Zia Sun Symbol from the flag of Albuquerque
edge pattern - also suggests the finger like structure of crystals
color scheme - blue crystals
Bird symbol - the dove also from the flag of Albuquerque
32 ounces - shipment size
99.1% - the purity
Product of - the city and state where Breaking Bad takes place

I welcome any feedback. Especially from Breaking Bad addicts. (please don't plot spoil though, I'm only on the second season so far)

Note: persons complaining about shirt color will be publicly humiliated and receive a slap through the internet as soon as the technology becomes available.
14Comments
    151 weeks ago
    LOL, this was the Human Test when I created the thread!

freakout.jpg
    151 weeks ago
    I think the words are just a tad too boxed in by the borders. If you gave the words a little more breathing room I think it would pull the shirt together.

Good job btw!
    151 weeks ago
    i like the idea for the tee but have to honestly say...that "border" is pretty bad

if you could make it look like a label without that awkward border you currently have going I'd love to see the finished product and would likely be something I'd pick up
    151 weeks ago
    hmmm... ok i agree with the boarder suffocating the text. i would move it inside more. also, the "heisenberg and cook" is kerned too tightly after the stroke, try bumping them out a tad. all the references are really good... there's no meth on the shirt, that's a plus... i think the identity needs to be defined more somehow... i think the look is cohesive until the new mexico flag elements mix with the icy style of the rest... you know what i mean? new mexico and ice are antithetical... i'm not sure how to reconcile those 2 elements. maybe play on the irony somehow? that's a tough one. I'm not sure this is really helpful lol
    151 weeks ago
    This has possibilities for sure. Am looking forward to your updated WIP...
    151 weeks ago
    @Hdawger: The intent of the design was to mimic crystal lattice, but I probably packed the text in to tight.

@PureInvasion: The edges do look odd, but I liked the style. However, I'm going to be making changes.

@Dakin: Yeah it's ironic. I believe I have an idea that will allow me to retain the Zia Sun symbol somewhere in the design, because I think the shapes it creates are too cool not to. The H & C text is packed too tightly in which was intended but didn't pan out so well. You noticed there was no direct mention of meth, intentional. Celebrating an awesome TV show, not an illicit drug.

Alterations - So here's the plan. I'll quarter the Zia Sun symbol and use it on the corners. The dove will possibly stay. I'll add a crystal pattern to create a border edge and to fill some of the negative space. The Text will be opened up. The color blends will be retuned to give better definition between decorative elements and text. And although I've slipped in quite a few references, if I can get more in (without overloading it) I will do.

So thanks for the feedback, it's all useful. When I change the design it'll mean the end result will make the shirt that much cooler.

I'm just getting to it now. My new dishwasher has taken several hours longer to fit than it should have this morning. Fortunately it yielded to my will before I had to reach for the 'fixing' hammer. The future Mrs Chuffy is delighted with the new and mercifully dent free dishwasher. Mr Chuffy thinks German engineering should come fitted with the correct smurfing hose out of the box.
    151 weeks ago
    tfblueicewipr1.jpg
    W.I.P Revision ongoing Image Link

A little revision so far. Still needs a further border and some crystal detailing in the negative space, further decoration etc. Will probably increase the height of the label as it's looking a bit short at the moment.
    151 weeks ago
    what if you took the "&" and made a decorative element out of it. so rather than being inline text, it was maybe a different font, over-sized and dropped behind the names.
    151 weeks ago
    nice fix on the border!

looking forward to seeing the continued progress :)

definitely agree with dakin's suggestion. As of now the "& Cook" looks odd and stands out more than it should. i think the idea of dropping the "&" behind the text of the two names could be interesting if done right
    151 weeks ago
    dakin_costello said: what if you took the "&" and made a decorative element out of it. so rather than being inline text, it was maybe a different font, over-sized and dropped behind the names.

PureInvasion said: definitely agree with dakin's suggestion. As of now the "& Cook" looks odd

OVERRULED! Unfortunately after spending several hours last night and this morning trying to alter this detail, I couldn't better the previous version. I looked at the logos and typography of over 30 commercial partnerships. Almost all use the ampersand in the manner I've decided to stick with. All the rest of your feedback has been good, but I'm going with my instinct on this one.

Anyway...

After trying all manner of decoration, I've decided to go with KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). I'm pretty happy with this design, but I would very much welcome feedback on this version. If everything is in order I'll submit it. I must get into the habit of submitting AFTER testing it out here on the forums (sorry Curators!)

This is version 2.
    tfblueicev2.jpg
    Image Link

Mockup of version 2
    tfblueicemock.jpg
    Image Link

150 weeks ago
    Chuffy said:

This is version 2.
    tfblueicev2.jpg
    Image Link

Mockup of version 2
    tfblueicemock.jpg
    Image Link

I subbed as the above. The mockup looks a little odd due to some dodgy resizing. The real Hi-res version is pin sharp.

I may suggest a light distress as an option if this gets picked. Other than that, it's done and done.
    150 weeks ago
    This could be my first shirt about meth! EXCITING!
    150 weeks ago

Note: persons complaining about shirt color will be publicly humiliated and receive a slap through the internet as soon as the technology becomes available.

I've never seen the show, so I don't have much to add other than to say I really wish the above were already possible! :-D
    150 weeks ago
    ZetaBodhi said:

I've never seen the show, so I don't have much to add other than to say I really wish the above were already possible! :-D

X-Box kinnecting-blow™, responsible for the sharp rise of basement dweller concussion in 2014.