Back to forum
image
rss 137 weeks ago
Just submitted this design, but would love some feedback.
I wanted to turn the Serinity crew into something from a 70's tv show... And 70's scifi show, was just to obvious. so I took another route on this design...
Firefly meets Charlie's Angels. Wanted a more 70's feel to the shirt, so I also added some smaller elements from various other 70's shows as well. thoughts, comments?

Photobucket
28Comments
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    I think it's a really good concept! With some slight changes to execution I would TOTES buy this baby.

    Here are my suggestions (and they are SERIOUSLY tiny things -- I'm really nitpicking here):
    ~Clean up the design a bit. For example, Inara's higher hand doesn't look quite right because all of her fingers are the same height pretty much. It looks more like a foot, hehe. Her other hand is great, though -- make it more like that. Also, I personally think the graininess of the upper images clashes with the clean design below. maybe use the grainy parts as guides and redraw the upper to be cleaner?
    ~The connection between the L and S in "Mal's" could be a bit cleaner as well. You can see that, along the bottom, it's not quite even.
    ~The top font looks kind of rough and angular for something coming from the 70s. I think if you tried a font like Lobster or Lobster 2 (can be downloaded free from Google Fonts) you'll get the same look you're going for in a smoother, cleaner package.
    ~Inara's chin looks HUGE lol! Maybe shrink that back. It doesn't look bad on Kaylee, but on Inara it kind of makes her look like Jay Leno LOL! And, maybe get Zoe's face off the black line?
    ~I think maybe to fit better with Charlie's Angels, say Malcolm's Angels? So "Malcolm" is two syllables like "Charlie"? Just a suggestion though -- nothing is wrong whatsoever with what you have!

    It really is a great design and concept, though! I like it a lot :) And I am ---SERIOUSLY--- nitpicking.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    chirmer said: I think it's a really good concept! With some slight changes to execution I would TOTES buy this baby.

    Here are my suggestions (and they are SERIOUSLY tiny things -- I'm really nitpicking here):
    ~Clean up the design a bit. For example, Inara's higher hand doesn't look quite right because all of her fingers are the same height pretty much. It looks more like a foot, hehe. Her other hand is great, though -- make it more like that. Also, I personally think the graininess of the upper images clashes with the clean design below. maybe use the grainy parts as guides and redraw the upper to be cleaner?
    ~The connection between the L and S in "Mal's" could be a bit cleaner as well. You can see that, along the bottom, it's not quite even.
    ~The top font looks kind of rough and angular for something coming from the 70s. I think if you tried a font like Lobster or Lobster 2 (can be downloaded free from Google Fonts) you'll get the same look you're going for in a smoother, cleaner package.
    ~Inara's chin looks HUGE lol! Maybe shrink that back. It doesn't look bad on Kaylee, but on Inara it kind of makes her look like Jay Leno LOL! And, maybe get Zoe's face off the black line?
    ~I think maybe to fit better with Charlie's Angels, say Malcolm's Angels? So "Malcolm" is two syllables like "Charlie"? Just a suggestion though -- nothing is wrong whatsoever with what you have!

    It really is a great design and concept, though! I like it a lot :) And I am ---SERIOUSLY--- nitpicking.


    Cool thanks for the feedback! The LS is actually fine in the larger pic, for some reason when I shrunk it down to fit the submission format, it somehow changed the image right there! Good eye on that! My real higher quality image isn't like that though.

    The big chins, yeah I could fix that, It is actually how the old Charlie's Angels logo was, they had weird noses and chins. So that's how I made them... I'm not a fan of the chin aspect either.

    The hand on on Inara, I was going for a "come get some" hand gesture... it does look a little footish lol.

    As for the graininess to the portraits, I'll see what I can do, I happen to be a big fan of that look, but I'm sure I can clean it up.

    Appreciate the in depth feedback!
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    I would totally buy this if the silhouette was cleaned up, and the portraits were actually drawn.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    I didn't use a filter on the portraits. They actually are done by hand using my mousepen. It's a style I have been doing for a while. It's ment to mimic screen printed photos, and also allows me to be less than accurate with my portrait, but the imperfections are hidden with the style itself. I printed off photos for a ref, and then looked at them and drew them, then blocked out sections in solid black and deleted the original drawing. Whats left is what you see.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    lol i submitted something similar to this earlier today, Just not with Firefly. I like the direction you went with it though, But Inara's hands look more fighty than "come get some"
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    Ok Ok lol I ditched my "foot" hand and put it into a more kung fu-ish pose. lol
    Also de grained my portraits a little and cut back on the one chin. Not sure I want to change the font, I tried a few, and like this one the best. Also tweaked a few things here or there.
    Not Sure I want to move the line going through Zoe, Tried a few different options on that, but it didn't look as good.

    Photobucket
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    I like your idea, but there's something about it that just feels off. Are the profiles at the top akin to the original Charlie's Angels logo? I'm thinking that if you could add a tad more detail to the silhouettes (Inara the one in question for identifiability) that the top part could be removed and be a more appealing composition. On the other hand, maybe you could have the portrait circles UNDER the silhouettes, which would elimination your hitch with the lines through Zoe. Keep up the good work.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    The Profiles on the top are actually something I have seen in alot of 70's tv programs and adverts. I have seen them do it with Charlie's Angels lunch boxes and shirts as well. Without the portraits you wouldn't know who Inara was in the silhouette. I could also get rid of the blue trail up to the circles. As is that will have to wait, I made the mistake of merging the Silhouette with the rest of the black in the design, and then saved it without thinking, so I could easily color it... oops, I will have to redo Zoe's face when I decide what to do.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    "Warrior Woman" is kind of redundant in context. Perhaps just "Warrior"?
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    Liking where this is going too bad Inara doesn't have something to hold. Her bow bolt gun thingy from Serenity would probably not fit, lol.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    I miss the foot hand & Leno chin :(

    XD
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    The Jagged edges of the white outline need to be smoothed out.
    The black line mixing with Zoe's face silhouette needs to be fixed somehow.
    The Stroke on Zoe's portrait needs to be a bit thicker, to match Inara and Kaylee's portraits.
    Remove the word "woman" and recenter "Warrior."
    Remove Inara's sleeves in her silhouette. I rarely see here in sleeves.

    If these were done, Insta Buy.

    also, if you changed Inara's higher hand so it was motioning for someone to come at her, that would be nice.(Palm facing her face, fingers bent in 45 degrees, in a slight "C" shape.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    I'm really liking this concept but I think there's a few things that still are holding it back.

    Inara's pose doesn't look like a martial arts pose, it looks like she's awkwardly trying to catch a dodgeball. Perhaps stick closer to the original Charlie's Angels design.

    The portraits above really don't seem to add anything to the overall concept, and they distract from the Charlie's Angels connection, unfortunately diluting it. The portraits above and the silhouettes below makes the image feel unbalanced, and the art styles don't match making the work overall feel disjointed. I think this might be a case where less would be more.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    MagicZipper said: The Jagged edges of the white outline need to be smoothed out.
    The black line mixing with Zoe's face silhouette needs to be fixed somehow.
    The Stroke on Zoe's portrait needs to be a bit thicker, to match Inara and Kaylee's portraits.
    Remove the word "woman" and recenter "Warrior."
    Remove Inara's sleeves in her silhouette. I rarely see here in sleeves.

    If these were done, Insta Buy.

    also, if you changed Inara's higher hand so it was motioning for someone to come at her, that would be nice.(Palm facing her face, fingers bent in 45 degrees, in a slight "C" shape.

    Yeah, I may darken Zoe's clothes some, I used a smaller pixel size on her when I did it.
    As for Inara's hand, I originally tried that, and it just never looked good, redid it a few times.

    PureInvasion said: I miss the foot hand & Leno chin :(

    XD

    LOL! I swear look at the original chins, They are huge and pointy, the one in the middle looks like she has an evil goatee.

    The1stMJC said: Liking where this is going too bad Inara doesn't have something to hold. Her bow bolt gun thingy from Serenity would probably not fit, lol.

    No, The reason I used her instead of river, was because she is typically unarmed and fit the original image better. Since the girl on that side of the original was unarmed.

    warbington said: "Warrior Woman" is kind of redundant in context. Perhaps just "Warrior"?

    "Warrior Woman" is a quote from the show. It's what her husband refers to her as.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    Their poses look to me pretty much right in line with the originals. Somehow Inara's face in the silhouette doesn't look quite right, it almost seems too round and makes her look like a child whereas her face is more pointy. The other two look fine and are even recognizable from the side. That's the only suggestion I have because I think it's amazing otherwise! Very nice :)
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    yeah I adjusted the pointy chin, which was on par with the original, because of complaints.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    I'm intrigued by this. Love me some Firefly.
  • image
    137 weeks ago
    bryana1029 said: I'm intrigued by this. Love me some Firefly.


    Well rest assured, if it doesn't get picked up by TeeFury I will post it on RedBubble
  • image
    134 weeks ago
    up on redbubble

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain/t-shirts/7790363-mals-angels
  • image
    134 weeks ago
    I come to teefury for the Great designs, Quality shirts, and Affordable price! Sorry, but I am not paying $25 for a shirt when there are so many other great shirts here.
  • image
    134 weeks ago
    Okay, I would much rather have had it printed on Teefury as well. But it wasn't, and thus, I released it elsewhere. I don't set their prices I just made the design.
  • image
    134 weeks ago
    Also I heard Redbubble sells Iron-ons, not actual PRINTED shirts as well.

    There's also always that other $10 tee site that I won't name.
  • image
    134 weeks ago
    what other $10 site? I would love to look into that one.
  • image
    133 weeks ago
    Its a lot like today's shirt though, could be awkward. Love the idea though.
  • image
    133 weeks ago
    Yeah, I know it is. I posted this a month ago though, so I didn't take the Charlie's angels idea from today's tee.

    It is what prompted me to go ahead and post it on another site though.
  • Load More Comments


Back to Top