Back to forum
rss 138 weeks ago
Hey there,

First time poster, long time reader. I finished my illustration degree a few months ago and have decided its time to try and use my artistic skills.

This is my first tee design... I have already submitted it for review but I thought I would post it here, just wanted to see what people thought, get some feedback before I start a new shirt.

If I failed with the html, you can also go to http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Iqaiuva1pxY/TlLAz6dNIXI/AAAAAAAABDQ/qZsF7MaHGg4/s1600/Doctor+Who+in+China+Final+Draft.jpg for the big version.

Looking forward to hearing from the community,

Dave
7Comments
    138 weeks ago
    even though Doctor Who does nothing for me, it still is an impressive design. I don't really get the ties to all the asian references but I'm sure someone else does
    138 weeks ago
    The TARDIS seems out of place. Maybe because of its size..

Anyways, I think its a good design.
    138 weeks ago
    Reminds me of the Willow pattern crockery my Nan was mad for.... XD

I second sheepbiter's thoughts on the TARDIS - the perspective is a bit off and makes Eleven look like a midget.
    138 weeks ago
    I'd agree with the others sentiments that the scale seems off. And I don't get the reference. Is there one? Or did the Doctor get lost, wound up on a Willow pattern plate and stopped to ask a friendly dragon for directions? (which in itself is kinda funny)

My reservation is that I have my doubts as to whether a design with this level of detail would translate that well onto a T-shirt. Halftoning can only do so much and the end result is a lot less sharp than a computer display.

For some idea of how much detail you can get away with on a printed shirt, browse Teefury's gallery of past shirt designs.

I must say you do have a high degree of artistic skill. Heck, you have a degree! If this design doesn't pan out, I'm sure you'll come up with a winner eventually. Good luck :)

138 weeks ago
    Personally, I'm not much of a Doctor Who fan but I'm REALLY hoping you can get some dragon-related original art selected for printing! That dragon (and the background) looks amazing. I can see the printing process running into problems with the complex shading but if you can pare it down a bit I'm sure you could get something selected in time!
    138 weeks ago
    Oh right, weeeellll I should probably say a little bit about the design.

I chose the willow plate look because I wanted to give a bit of context to the image - I wanted it to look like some lost Chinese plate that shows one of the Doctors many adventures.

You guys are pretty much saying the same sort of things that were niggling me in the back of my mind. I asked some fellow illustrators about the TARDIS placement, and they mostly said it was fine - They actually preferred it as a separate element to the core design, especially because it breaks out of the circle design. Its incorporation was to guarantee people would look at it and go 'its a doctor who tee', I felt the red fez alone was not a strong enough indicator.

The other point, about the halftone, I also agree with. I think I went in to too much detail, but I guess its due to it being my first-time. I'm thinking of doing the lineart in PS next time and then dropping it in to Illus/Inkscape to get the lineart, and then go on from there... It would be a good learning experience to finally use illustrator.

I was thinking of doing an Akira or Evangelion design next...
    138 weeks ago
    The design looks great... and how many times has the Doctor been to somewhere where a creature is running amok and he rectifies the situation (or saves people)? Pompeii: fire creatures. Vincent van Gogh: blind killer chicken thing. So why NOT travel to ancient China and help the infant space dragon thing?!?