Back to forum
rss 138 weeks ago

I've had this idea kicking around in my head for a while. First, is this TeeFury worthy - do you think they would print it? Second, do you like it? Third, critique is welcomed and appreciated.

The Japanese characters are the translation for "Lon Lon Ranch." If you are a native speaker/Japanese buff, please tell me if that's accurate.

47Comments
    138 weeks ago
    nice job.

I guess the only thing for me would be to completely get rid of all the text under Lon Lon Milk. I just don't really think any of it is needed...maybe its just me though as others may disagree
    138 weeks ago
    I love that you borrowed from the Zelda crest. It looks great.

I partly agree with PureInvasion. I like something being there, but the verbiage used I can't say I'm too fond of. Maybe try tying in Malon or Talon? Something about using the name of a horse on a cow's milk label doesn't sit well with me. I do like it a lot though. Good luck =)
    138 weeks ago
    ^^ what they said ;)
    138 weeks ago
    I think I was trying to hard to allude to when you played Epona's Song next to a cow, you got free milk in the game. I need to take a step back from the detail.

Taking all of your guys' critique in mind, here's what I've come up with. Belatedly, I think I'm going to change "A Hylian Product" to "Hylian Born & Bred."

lonlon.jpg
    138 weeks ago
    i still say to get rid of the text at the bottom :p

but I like the "hylian product" at the top. Also like that you added the notes for the song on the side in the bubbles. Much more of a subtle touch than coming right out and mentioning Epona.

great the way it is (minus the bottom text for me though). Hope to see it for sale one day so I can pick it up!

138 weeks ago
    I can really get behind this design. Simply awesome zelda reference.
    138 weeks ago
    PureInvasion said: i still say to get rid of the text at the bottom :p

but I like the "hylian product" at the top. Also like that you added the notes for the song on the side in the bubbles. Much more of a subtle touch than coming right out and mentioning Epona.

great the way it is (minus the bottom text for me though). Hope to see it for sale one day so I can pick it up!

I've tried to get rid of the bottom text completely, but the design seemed to be a bit off-balance. I will go back and revisit it!

tactacfox said: I can really get behind this design. Simply awesome zelda reference.

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions as far as detail? I want to make sure this is as good as it can be before I submit it.
    138 weeks ago
    I think the second image is perfect. It's not "busy" at all and easily communicates the reference. And personally, I like having those lines of text above and below the image.
    138 weeks ago
    Overall I think this is a great design because of its clarity and simplicity.

I think the 2nd design is an improvement. I especially like the little dark swirl details you've added in the blue center circle. However, I do miss the mention of 'milked with music' from the first design. I'm not familiar enough with the game to know if it's an actual refernece, but the idea of cows being played music during milking seems cute and fun.

I may have spotted a slight flaw (or it may be intended in your art style), you have not closed the vector line properly below the cow's right ear.
    138 weeks ago
    tactacfox said: I think the second image is perfect. It's not "busy" at all and easily communicates the reference. And personally, I like having those lines of text above and below the image.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chuffy said: Overall I think this is a great design because of its clarity and simplicity.

I think the 2nd design is an improvement. I especially like the little dark swirl details you've added in the blue center circle. However, I do miss the mention of 'milked with music' from the first design. I'm not familiar enough with the game to know if it's an actual refernece, but the idea of cows being played music during milking seems cute and fun.

I may have spotted a slight flaw (or it may be intended in your art style), you have not closed the vector line properly below the cow's right ear.

You know, the .ai file I'm looking at doesn't have that error by the right ear? It is all one path. I'll have to look into this for the preview I'll submit. Thanks for pointing it out!

The "milked with music" is an actual reference to the game (when you played a song to a cow, you got free milk), but several people mentioned to me that sounded awkward. I like it, though.

Consensus on "milked with music" anyone?

138 weeks ago
    I love The Legend Of Zelda as well as this design.
    138 weeks ago
    it's good. But I think you should write it out in Hylian, not Japanese.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/hylian.htm
    138 weeks ago
    Musically Milked, perhaps?
    138 weeks ago
    Malion said: it's good. But I think you should write it out in Hylian, not Japanese.

Seeing the Japanese makes me want to say it as 'Ron Ron'!
    138 weeks ago
    also, if you want, you could say something cheesy like, fills your heart (all 5 of them) lol
    137 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said:
    Malion said: it's good. But I think you should write it out in Hylian, not Japanese.

Wait, so is that good, or bad? LOL

Seeing the Japanese makes me want to say it as 'Ron Ron'!

lso, if you want, you could say something cheesy like, fills your heart (all 5 of them) lol

I don't happen to know the Japanese for "ranch" to translate it into hylian (I can't read the kanji I placed there) but I can look it up and play around with the hylian.

I dunno though - the Japanese looks intricate, and I might just want to keep it that way. I'm undecided. Time for experimentation! And I love the fills your heart (all 5 of them)!

Chuffy said: Musically Milked, perhaps?

Oooh, these phrases are giving me so much inspiration! I can't wait to get back to the drawing board on this!
    137 weeks ago
    Okay, I've spent quite a bit more time on this, and I've added detail and oriented the concept around a stamp idea. Thanks to Malion, I added the five hearts that the Lon Lon Milk refills in the game :) I might add a rubber-stamped outline for the origin of the mail, like "Nov 21, Hyrule" which was the game release date or something.

I've love to have your guys opinion/critique on the design as well as the color options I've given below!

Design:
    lonloncompile.jpg

Colors:
    lonloncolors.jpg

Once again, thank you so much for the feedback!
    137 weeks ago
    Ignore the blot in the upper right-hand corner. That's been taken care of :-P
    137 weeks ago
    I'm fairly sure I've decided on the red shirt. But, I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts and preferences on that and the different design direction.
    137 weeks ago
    I like the blue shirt. And as a bonus it'll save you one of your inks because it's thru color.

The roughening of the white center circle and the addition of the hearts are great improvents.

I think making it into a postage stamp was a completely off the wall idea that enhances the design in a way I wouldn't have imagined. But in my opinion it works. Lifting the design from something flat to something that really pops off the shirt.

Good job :)
    137 weeks ago
    What are the black curve marks outside the design supposed to be?
    137 weeks ago
    sheepbiter said: What are the black curve marks outside the design supposed to be?

They are supposed to be a take off of what a postal service does as they process stamps:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqWkWodCYn0p-wyrWvWh9pkGsz3Mz-7Z7N5Re8mxj257EYHtKkiA
    But I am undecided on if I want this or not.

Chuffy said: I like the blue shirt. And as a bonus it'll save you one of your inks because it's thru color.

The roughening of the white center circle and the addition of the hearts are great improvents.

I think making it into a postage stamp was a completely off the wall idea that enhances the design in a way I wouldn't have imagined. But in my opinion it works. Lifting the design from something flat to something that really pops off the shirt.

Good job :)

Thanks! So blue, huh? Hmm. I must poll more people then.
    137 weeks ago
    I really ♥ this design. I keep coming back to check out the updates to it. If I had to choose one of the colors you're offering, I would choose blue.

I'm not crazy about the postage stamp route, just because I feel like a lot of people will say that 'it would make a better poster than a t-shirt.' I would like it better myself if the label was just the same color as the t-shirt (with no border at all).
    137 weeks ago
    Yeah i really like this design, but not a fan of the wavy lines behind it. If you took those out and stuck to the blue color it's be an instant buy for me.
    137 weeks ago
    TheGhostman said: Yeah i really like this design, but not a fan of the wavy lines behind it. If you took those out and stuck to the blue color it's be an instant buy for me.

Agreed. If I added this, would you feel this same way? I'm not sure how I feel. It might just all be too busy.

screenshot20110825at112.png

SaylorMoon said: I really ♥ this design. I keep coming back to check out the updates to it. If I had to choose one of the colors you're offering, I would choose blue.

I'm not crazy about the postage stamp route, just because I feel like a lot of people will say that 'it would make a better poster than a t-shirt.' I would like it better myself if the label was just the same color as the t-shirt (with no border at all).

I had it originally that way, but I felt like it melted into the background a bit and didn't have contrasting visual clarity. I mean, I like them both, so if I end up selling them outside of TeeFury, then I'll put both options up from grabs.
  • Load More Comments