Back to forum
rss 139 weeks ago
Lately I've been trying to design a shirt for the site, sadly most of my ideas just doesn't make a good tee. However, I finally got an idea that I believe would work out well.

Basically a shirt for Saffron City in a regional league of Pokémon battles, based on the New York Mets logo. Might be worth noting that the skyline is based on that of the Saffron City stage in Super Smash Bros. The Magnet Train from Pokémon Gold and Silver can also be seen.

The text still needs work, but the rest is pretty much finished. I would appreciate comments and constructive criticism, especially suggestions for the fonts. I really want this to turn out as good as possible.
29Comments
    139 weeks ago
    its ok, but what does the phrase "urbs" have to do with Pokemon? A more clear joke would be Marshes. As in Marsh badge.
    139 weeks ago
    Mets-Metropolitan
    Urbs-Urban

But you're probably right, I'll see if I can come up with something better. Marshes is a good idea.
    139 weeks ago
    IDK anything about Pokemon, so I can't comment to the Urbs or Marshes thing...

I think you should "connect" the logo text instead of having all the characters be separate and just touching.

Are those supposed to be birds in the sky? they look kinda blocky... are they absolutely necessary? Overall, though, I like the concept.
    139 weeks ago
    Oh yeah, I don't think the black text is necessary at all if there are enough recognizable elements in the design.
    139 weeks ago
    The only problem I'd see with using an actual team as a mash up is that you limit your appeal. Sure NY residents will love it (Even then only half, actually probably less than half let's be honest Mets fans) but will that appeal to LA, CHI ect. I doubt it. Unless its the Yankees or Cowboys I don't think you'll get that nation appreciation.

But it would be an interesting litmus test to see if people would buy the design regardless as long as Pokemon are involved.

You might also work in the color Saffron since all the towns where named after colors in Gen 1.

You could also name the team after a poke like its the mascot. Or Saffron City Psychics? That might be too hokey.
    139 weeks ago
    I actually considered Psychics, but if I am to use the Mets logo I thought that it would be best to have a name connected to Mets.

As for using a specific team, it could be a problem. I don't live in USA, so to me it wouldn't matter which team was referred to, but I guess a lot of buyers do and might feel different. I'm going to finish this one and see what happens, if it fails I'l try to make a logo from scratch.

As for the logo text, I'm still working on it. I didn't think the connecting-thing would be a problem, but it's my first time using Inkscape so things don't really work out the way I want them to.

Those blocks are platforms that appears in the Smash Bros. stage. I'll probably remove them, but they might be needed to make it more recognizable.
    139 weeks ago
    I like the idea of connecting a team with Pokemon, but I agree that you need more elements that connect it with Pokemon. I couldn't figure out what "Urbs" was either, I was trying to make it "Orbs" like Voltorbs or something :) I get the reference, but I wouldn't have known it was a Pokemon MashedPotato shirt if not for the text and the Pokeball shaped logo. Maybe put some Pokemon silhouettes in the background of the logo with the city?
    139 weeks ago
    saffroncitysliphs.png

*Changed the name to Sliphs (from the Saffron City based company Sliph Co)
    *Added a Charizard in the background
    *Changed the red color to deep saffron (good call!)
    *Finalized the texts

Left to do:
    *Add more Pokémon in the background?
    *Remove the platforms?

Does it work better now? Any comments are appreciated!
    139 weeks ago
    Somehow managed to misspell "Silphs" every time...

saffroncitysilphs.png
    139 weeks ago
    I have some suggestions for you buddy. I like the direction your going in but if you want to make this design final and tight I would suggest a few tweaks to improve the feel of the design.

Your city background should have a few more building edges. If you look and reference closely the Met's logo you will notice the cool slants to some of the buildings. A few more detailed edges and slants will really give it more life. Also make the city drop Black. Black will pop your orange better.

For the Silphs logo I would go with the Ball Park Weiner and trace over it to make a newer bolder scteefurycopy. Your font is ok but it's not as bold and loud like the Met's logo. Unfortunately I can't remember if their are any internal logos within the Pokemon games or anime. So I'm not sure who you are referencing with that font. Also I would take the white Pin you have around Silphs and duplicate it. Then color it Orange and make it a drop shadow. When you do this it will probably be better to change the orange inside font of Silphs to blue. This way the color scheme goes blue, white then orange. This will pop nicely off the black buildings.

If you want it to read more pokemon than mets then I would switch out all of the oranges with a deep red orange. That way the blue, black and white combo will still be strong.

One last thing I would do is probably remove the blue pin you have around the subway car. There aren't any pins or breaking points in the mets logo in between the laces and the bridge.

Here use this as a reference- [url]http://metspolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mets-black-ball-logo.png[/url]

*Pin - another term for Outline. (Just in case you got it confused with a pin stripe.
    139 weeks ago
    Yes! Silphs is a much better name. And it makes sense in the scope of the actual city.

Using Saffron is smart, the only thing I think you should consider is the Charizard... what does Charizard have to do with Saffron city? even in the scope of Smash Bros Charizard isn't actually playable in that city. only Jigglypuff and Pikachu were at the time. Though a lot of pokemon would randomly come out of that hole in the large platform. Also various pokemon are seen flying in the background they are.

Chansey, Charmander, Electrode, Porygon, and Venusaur
    and in the background there are Butterfree, Pidgey, Fearow and the Occasional Moltres.

In terms of the actual city, it is known for both it's Psychic gym, it's fighting gym (less so), Copycat's house which has a Doduo in it. and also Lapras, which is only found in Silph co.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071207160430/ssb/images/thumb/7/75/Saffroncity.jpg/580px-Saffroncity.jpg

also, looking at this screenshot, the large banner with a pokeball balloon on it might be a decent addition.
    139 weeks ago
    Thanks for the comments!

You're probably right about the edges of the buildings, though the middle ones will have to stay like they are to keep the reference clear. I'll try it in back as well, it makes sense. As for a red color, while it might be more Pokémon, the orange color goes perfectly with the Saffron name.

I'll try the font you suggested, finding one that looked like the Mets one was difficult, so I appreciate the tip.

As for the different outlines, wouldn't the text and the stripe on the Pokéball flow together a bit to much?

Regarding the outline on the subway car, in the Mets logo the laces are left out around the bridge. This is the closest I can come to that, but maybe that's an irrelevant detail. I'll see what looks best.

As for Charizard, he is one of the most recognizable flying Pokémon, and I don't think Pokémon that isn't flying would fit into the composition as well. Fearow might be a good second Pokémon though.

I'll try to incorporate the banner as well.
    139 weeks ago
    Just realized that you linked to a different logo than my reference, and I see what you meant with the outlines. I'll try it.
    139 weeks ago
    Okay, lets try this again. General style updated to new reference, font changed, buildings' edges improved and banner added.

saffroncitysilphsb.png

It feels more like a final design to me, though I'm not sure I like the font better. Any other comments?
    139 weeks ago
    I like what you've done with it from start to this point, very well thought out improvements, and the smash bro's buildings in the back just blue me away.
    139 weeks ago
    i really like where its going. Not sure if there are any more final details to correct but its looking pretty great and ready for a shirt :)

...just please don't print it on black :p (white, blue, gray are the more popular mets shirt colours as I don't think teefury carries orange...or do they?)
    139 weeks ago
    also i say keep Charizard. It isn't hurting anything and further strengthens the poke theme in a subtle way. No one cares about Fearow XD
    139 weeks ago
    I'm just saying, make it connect without pandering to people who only know Charizard and Pikachu.
    139 weeks ago
    Big thanks for the comments guys!

As for Charizard, I have decided to keep him. To me it's more about making the Pokémon connection clear, than to add more nods to Saffron city. I think the skyline, Magnet Train and Silphs name is enough. When I say that Charizard is one of the most recognizable Pokémon, I mean that it is clear that it is him to almost everyone, even when we only see his silhouette. I doubt that would be the case with Pidgey...

Moreover, while the Pokémon you mention do appear in the Saffron City stage in SSB, their connection to Saffron remains weak. Most of all I'd like to use a Psychic type Pokémon, but sadly none of them can fly which is needed for the design.

I'm pretty much ready to submit this, but any last minute comments are appreciated!
    139 weeks ago
    Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Latias, and Latios are all Psychic types that can fly, either in the anime or in the games.

I'd personally like Charizard and Mewtwo...
    139 weeks ago
    I think the various stand-ins for Mew like Celebi and Jirachi can all fly as well, at least within the capacity of the anime series.
    139 weeks ago
    I want to use a first generation Pokémon, and preferably not a legendary one. But as I said, I think Charizard works so I'll keep him.
    139 weeks ago
    I feel like a horrible nitpicker fir saying this, but I'm not sure about the black - it seems kind of jarringly dark against the blue and orange to me.
    139 weeks ago
    Personally I prefer the previous design that resembled the classic Mets logo's color scheme. Maybe it's the text but I prefer it more than to the one you have in the modern color scheme. The cursive reads like a very mass produced font in that design. The classic logo feels more hand written to me.
    139 weeks ago
    Because I haven't gotten around submitting it yet, I went ahead and made a version with the old font.

saffroncitysilphsb2.png

Personally I like the modern design more, so I will use the black color. I'm not sure about the font though, so please tell me which version looks better to you.
  • Load More Comments