Don't get me wrong, I've seen a lot of great t-shirt designs come through here but Teefury is now exclusively all about producing pop culture parody t-shirts. I think there are a lot of good designers here and my comment isn't meant as a jab at anyone - i'd just like to see Teefury mix things up a little and do some tees that are clever and more about the artwork rather than a constant string of Star Wars parody designs.
22Comments
    139 weeks ago
    Am I wrong to assume it's always been a pop/parody site? As far as I can remember it's always featured parody shirts. I agree there are a lot of SW shirts, but they've actually done a good job with the variety lately… wouldn't mind seeing some new blood injected into the mix as far as artists go, but other than that, you can always check out sites like anothersite,etc. for more original stuff.
    139 weeks ago
    :::ducks:::
    139 weeks ago
    I direct the original poster to the thread August 2011 Suggestion Box.

Retail is primarily about giving the customer what they want. If you want original art, make the suggestion in the thread above.
    139 weeks ago
    Quite some subjects that return a lot yeh. But it''s what most of the customers want it seems.
    139 weeks ago
    I've seen several dino, monster, zombie and robot designs featured lately with no tv or movie references so while they may be the minority Teefury is definitely still mixing it up.
    139 weeks ago
    Take a seat, let's talk about supply and demand as well as the power of the all mighty dollar.

Stuff sells it's that simple.
    139 weeks ago
    I've only made one purchase here since the last grab bag (Steve Zissou :-D). I'd like to buy some more original shirts or lesser known pop culture shirts like Steve Zissou or Monty Python (kinda mad that I missed the last Monty Python shirt).

It seems lately that they other daily shirt site has been putting forth better stuff. Not only are their designs more diverse, their willingness to do full shirt prints is great! And their prices aren't changing (though, that's not a big issue for me...just sayin')
    139 weeks ago
    I only get so many chances to sell shirts here, my pop stuff sells super well and my regular stuff does not.... It would be a waist of energy to submit anything else
    139 weeks ago
    I've also seen a lot less pancakes being given out lately. Either its the dog days of summer or people are just tired of pop culture stuff.
    139 weeks ago
    tactacfox said: I've also seen a lot less pancakes being given out lately. Either its the dog days of summer or people are just tired of pop culture stuff.

We change the benchmarks for pancakes periodically. Otherwise eventually everything would get them :)
    139 weeks ago
    I wish the requirements for pancakes were public knowledge. Also wish that sales figures on each shirt were made available...don't know why its a big secret to the public especially when its the public that buys the stuff and keeps the site/artists in business

139 weeks ago
    loads of original ideas i see. Rowboat my fav.
    139 weeks ago
    well, TeeFury & pop culture shirts is like ... well ... you wouldn't expect the Pet Shop Boys to suddenly make prog rock when they're perfectly well with what they're doing: pop music. there might be experiments, but when all is said & done, they're still pop.
    saying: if you want something else than pop, maybe buy some record from some other retailer every once in a while? nobody limits you to buy Pet Shop Boys / TeeFury shirts only, now do they?
    139 weeks ago
    I do wish that there were more original shirts, but I guess that if the people want pop culture shirts, you gotta give them what they want.

I'll second the call for showing sales figures, artists may be put off by the 'one day sale' aspect of the site, thinking that they aint gonna make much money. I've often wondered if I've wasted my time putting so much work into designs without knowing the average return for artists. It could be a hundred dollars, it could be a thousand dollars. But doing this is to hopefully bring in extra income for me, and I really could do with some assurances that I'm doing the right thing.
    139 weeks ago
    While it's obviously a small sample size, the submit page has the top five earning artists on it with their earnings. You could divide that by the number of shirts they've produced for Teefury and get a rough average of what a good design sells on here.
    139 weeks ago
    P.S with regard to the assertion that Teefury no longer prints original art, I count five tees in July with original art on. While I don't believe there were any in August that will of course depend on what has been submitted lately (though I for one am still hoping that the Slap My Unicorn print from the forums awhile back gets printed...). Point being, they do still print original art - it's a minority, but it's there. (and as someone who has painstakingly gone through Augusts suggestion thread and made a spreadsheet of requests, I can assert that only a monority of people request it, too. Many times less than request Doctor Who or Harry Potter - though I personally would rather see cool original stuff than either of those. ;)
    139 weeks ago
    I have bought and worn several mash-up shirts from what I thought were 'obvious' refrences to mainstream media (yes, StarWars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Xmen, etc.) - and it is amazing how FEW folks actually get them...
    One guy thought Quittich was 'like field hocky', asked what school was Ravenclaw team.
    Another asked where "Kessel Run" was done, another commented that they didn't know what 'Wookie Pox' was (even after I explained that tribbles and squirrels could also catch it), at least I got to increase THEIR awareness.
    Over 90% don't actually 'look' at Tshirts anyway.
    Leave the mainstream by much more and I would guess that the 'daily' market would dwindle.
    There are other sites that will sell 'artwork' or 'geek' or whatever Tee Shirts, but TeeFury makes us check daily or possibly regret a missed opportunity.
    139 weeks ago
    The first few shirts I submitted here had no pop culture parody/reference whatsoever. They didn't get picked up, I assume it's because those types of shirts just sell less on this site. I've read a lot of posts on the boards similar to this one since I discovered this site just a few months back. Several said that Teefury once had a lot more artsy/original illustration t-shirts. I guess it just evolved into more of a fanboy site, and I mean no offense by that. The way I see it is that Teefury is the site where pop culture reference sells big. There are several other t-shirt sites who sell more artsy stuff. So folks have the choice to go to either site depending on what kind of shirt they want. No big deal.
    139 weeks ago
    I think pop culture is such a main source of ideas here since those shirts come with a built-in audience, where an original design relies purely on skill of execution, composition and design to generate interest. Everyone appreciates nice art, but a Dr. Who or Firefly nut will be more likely to spend as they have a strong existing attachment to a shirt if they have loved the subject for some time. Or I could be comPletely off.
    139 weeks ago
    jestrada said: I think pop culture is such a main source of ideas here since those shirts come with a built-in audience, where an original design relies purely on skill of execution, composition and design to generate interest. Everyone appreciates nice art, but a Dr. Who or Firefly nut will be more likely to spend as they have a strong existing attachment to a shirt if they have loved the subject for some time. Or I could be comPletely off.

You're right. I do appreciate a lot of the cool designs that come through Teefury, but sometimes I get tired of the MashedPotato/parody thing. Don't get me wrong, i'll still buy tees from Teefury, it's just i've become increasingly picky about what I buy. I think i've reached Star Wars/Harry Potter/Firefly/BSG overload. This is just a minor nitpick of mine.
    139 weeks ago
    I do believe that Teefury are going a bit overboar with the Star Wars and Doctor Who tees, and Firefly too. You guys are bound to get tons of other ideas, let's see more variety in the parody's atleast. More True Blood, Mad Men, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Ghostbusters blah blah blah
    139 weeks ago
    To be fair they've only done like two BSG shirts. I'd like to see more =D