Back to forum
rss 152 weeks ago
Ok, I admit it, the Reptar Vs Mechareptar design that was seen on our sideart was a little haphazard and not executed all that well. But it got a lot of attention anyway so I decided that maybe we ought to revisit Reptar and try to do him some justice. This is based off of the UK release poster for Godzilla. It mockingly advertises the introduction of Reptar Toys into Japan What do you guys think? Also, PLEASE let me know if my flippin Japanese is right/wrong!!!!! Sank You.

Photobucket
17Comments
    152 weeks ago
    Here is a link to the original poster, minus the awesome html cuz i am fail.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2769/4396314979_6f88a409ab.jpg
    152 weeks ago
    Everything looks great! The only crit I can think of is the text in the grey stripe is kind of hard to read. Other than that it's awesome! I would totes buy that ;D

And is that Hello Kitty getting torched? LMAO!
    152 weeks ago
    hahaha yes, hello kitty and ultraman. sort of a "hey Japan, your toys smurf! BUY REPTAR!" kinda thing ;) Yeah, the text is getting lost, i'll fix that real quick.
    152 weeks ago
    Photobucket
    152 weeks ago
    submitted
    152 weeks ago
    I very much expect this to be accepted because it's excellent.
    152 weeks ago
    Dude, you submit A LOT of designs... O_O
    152 weeks ago
    we try and get one in every 2 or 3 days. We have the advantage of working as a team. Skorp has a gazillion concepts being developed at any given time so as soon as i finish a design, i hit our "insiders" facebook page and draw from whichever one strikes me. I am falling behind actually! Flippin burried in awesome concepts!
    152 weeks ago
    Very nice! What are you trying to say in the Japanese? My Japanese isn't that great but I can read "Gawotsu" on the side and "Zuisekamosu," neither of which means anything to me...also your "mo" character (next to the last one) is backwards, unless of course it's supposed to be "chi" but it doesn't look like it.

Of course I could be totally wrong and somebody who actually knows more than I do may come in here and say I'm completely crazy, in which case ignore all of that haha! :P
    152 weeks ago
    oh gaaawd it could all be wrong for all i know! sigh, "toy" in red and "reptar" in white but who flippin knows. until i can find some definitive answer it will just stay like it is lmao!
    152 weeks ago
    Okay, cool. In that case, I would think almost certainly that Reptar should be written as レプター ("re pu ta --") unless he's called something different in Japanese Rugrats. Toy would most likely be おもちゃ ("o mo cha") which basically just means "toy." "Reptar" is written in katakana since his name is a foreign one, but "omocha" would be written in hiragana since it's an actual Japanese word. I'm pretty sure this is correct.

My grandmother is Japanese so she'll know even better than I do, I'll ask her the next time I talk to her because now I'm curious too! :P
    152 weeks ago
    nice design but i hope the japanese is right. I'd have held off on submitting it before verifying the text
    152 weeks ago
    haha yeah well i got the best advice i could on it. either way i'm not terribly worried about resubmitting if i can correct the japanese. it's just a shirt, such is life ;)
    151 weeks ago
    Japanese look right surfercat?

Photobucket
    151 weeks ago
    Much better! Looks perfect now :)
    151 weeks ago
    i like that it actually says Reptar now :)

great design yet again Dakin
    151 weeks ago
    I like that it says "Reptar" now, I was just about to suggest that, but I think the font looks wrong. You might want to try something that's a little thicker, like the original in the poster you linked before.