Back to forum
rss 138 weeks ago
Photobucket
30Comments
    138 weeks ago
    come on guys! i'm submitting tomorrow! SOMEONE has been a skater or grew up in the 80's or loved Skate or Die... right? maybe i'm the only one.... it's lonely now... so lonely
    138 weeks ago
    im not familiar with skate or die but i love the design itself and the punk feel of everything. goodluck!
    138 weeks ago
    ONIMAR! you never played skate or die?! shame! wait, maybe i really AM alone on this one :O
    138 weeks ago
    sadly no i never have, was born in the 90's :/
    i hope you arent! because this design is just perfect!
    138 weeks ago
    I grew up skating in the 80's! Loved skate or die... the design is B.A! This is prly a personal preference, but maybe a thicker stroke around the header and around the figure, but like i said more of a personal preference... either way Beats Ass!
    138 weeks ago
    yeah, a heavier black might help hold the color in place better. so as a fellow skater/child of the 80s/skate or die fan, is there enough reference to the game to make it obviously a skate or die shirt?
    138 weeks ago
    maybe throw some dogtown style graffiti on the hoodie, like a mimic of the rat bones logo....
    138 weeks ago
    oh thats a great idea!
    138 weeks ago
    loved that game!
    138 weeks ago
    Ok here goes... ;)

Colors. Spot. On. No question, I was there, those are late 80s colors. I had a catalogue of surf boards back then and every one had decals in that color scheme.

Fonts and created lettering is excellent. You crafted that, I'm impressed :) I'd like to see the lining on the beast lettering a bit thicker on the outline edge. And that eyeball, make it pop a bit more, like you see on google image search 'cartoon hot rod characters'. Something big, angry and with more visible capillaries.

Half toned background is perfect. Like you lifted it from the 80s poster design playbook (if only such a book existed).

There's too much negative space. Move stuff in.

If you google image search something like rock poster or punk poster you want to be almost craming everything in. I don't think you have to create more elements, you just need to resize them and move them in pretty tight. This'll give you and opportunity to jazz up those 'presented by' logos at the bottom and move them into the design. Really, fill your rectangle/poster.

Your figure, he's technically excellent and well drawn as I've come to expect from your art. But somehow I'm not feeling him. Maybe it's the pose or perhaps it's the clothing. I'd like him to be less stare at the floor in contemplation and a lot more ATTITUDE. I feel guilty critiquing that element because you obviously put a lot of effort in. It may need more than a tweak, but maybe not.
    A few things you could try on him.
    -Stance make him a bit arrogant or defiant
    -Jeans, bleach spill, paint spill, ripped, patched or something
    -Top, give it a logo
    -Skateboard, give the deck a decent picture (tricky given the size) and wheels gotta use the pinky color or even have odd colors on the wheels
    -Sneakers, color them (again if it's not too tricky at that scale).

One last thing, don't worry too much about reference, this design stands on it's own merit.

138 weeks ago
    wow chuffy, great! this is what i was looking for! my wife and i have been looking at it and several things you suggested were the exact things she came up with too. and several more things that we didn't find on our own will be very useful in building this up. thanks as always for a well thought out and useful critique!
    138 weeks ago
    I played skate or die! I was born in the 80's! I skate! I'd buy the smurf out of this! YES.
    138 weeks ago
    Dude, skate or die was awesome. Of all the events you could play I believe Joust would be the most recognizable for a shirt so good call there. I remember the half pipe being super hard to beat. And I would wipe out a lot trying to go through the pipe on the downhill course. Good times.

I might would center Tournament and then have the 4 logos underneath side by side on the row underneath. But regardless which way you go it rawks!
    138 weeks ago
    I used to play that game on my Commodore 64. Rodney from the skate shop was definitely a Rodney Dangerfield parody, right? He looked like a pixelated Rodney Dangerfield. That game was so hard on the computer. Did they ever make it for any video game systems? Was it a ripoff of 720 or vice versa?
    138 weeks ago
    i'm pretty sure SoD was before 720 but i can't be certain. SoD came out for NES which is where i fell in love with it. Infact, if you look at the sponsor names in my design you should be able to tell ;)
    138 weeks ago
    ok guys, thanks for all the help! here is the final submission:

Photobucket
    138 weeks ago
    BAM! done...
    138 weeks ago
    personal preference for me I'd want the skeleton skater to look more cartoony I dunno why. Like maybe more disproportionate. Dunno though I'm probably alone on that one. Either way it's a sick design. Loved that game! big ups.
    138 weeks ago
    Ok, I stared at this for a good 20 minutes. Trying to work out what was not working. I wasn't looking for faults, it was something throwing the eye.

The negative space issue is sorted by the addition of the trees and pool detail. check
    The Joust text has a stronger more pleasing border line. check
    You've added detail to your characters clothes. check

It's all the text south of the character. It doesn't sit correctly at the bottom. If you align it by moving that entire chunk of text over to the left until the letter A of tournAment sits where the R of touRnament currently is, it'll sit about right. More or less centering that block from an imaginary line falling from the coconut in the background.

I tried it by copy pasting it over and it looked kinda correct, but grrr... alignment is a tricky thing. Maybe leave it.
    138 weeks ago
    i fought with the alignment at the bottom for a bit but i didnt want to over think it. I wanted a slightly off center, asymetrical composition without it looking like it would tip over. Thats why i weighted it down at the bottom right with the solid blacks. Either way, i came out feeling like there were plusses and minuses to each arangement so i just said smurf it and went with this. I'm happy with the way it came out in the end. On to the next design!
    138 weeks ago
    I LOOOOOVE This babe!
    138 weeks ago
    Yeah, alignment on an asymmetric design will always be tricky. If you squint, the figure looks like he's standing on a winners podium. Or maybe it's just my eyes. Anyway, good job :)
    138 weeks ago
    I might also throw a mock up on a silver tee so people don't have a conniption that its on white.
    138 weeks ago
    No lie, this might be the perfect shirt design. This is simply amazing!!!
    138 weeks ago
    I loved this game as a kid, I wish I could play it now.

Great design! :D
  • Load More Comments