Back to forum
rss 139 weeks ago
I submitted this design over a week ago.

I am by no means a pro at this and was wondering what others thought of the design (or just the concept in general).

Thanks!
21Comments
    139 weeks ago
    I like it!
    Personally I think it would look better without the grey lines around the glasses and scar, letting the gaps in the words make the shape. I also think if the text were a full square (no text hanging left at the top and the bottom line reaching all the way to the end of its line) it would look a bit better.
    Also you spelled "riddle" in "the riddle house" with three d's, haha XD
    And why are some bold? Just curious :D
    Other than that, I love it and would totes buy it!
    139 weeks ago
    Agree with the above. For some reason the grey lines make it look a little strange. BUT... I think i'd still buy it depending on how it looks on a shirt.
    139 weeks ago
    chirmer said: I like it!

Personally I think it would look better without the grey lines around the glasses and scar, letting the gaps in the words make the shape. I also think if the text were a full square (no text hanging left at the top and the bottom line reaching all the way to the end of its line) it would look a bit better.

Also you spelled "riddle" in "the riddle house" with three d's, haha XD

And why are some bold? Just curious :D

Other than that, I love it and would totes buy it!

Thanks for liking it! :)

I did try it without the grey lines, but I wasn't sure if the outline was recognizable enough without them. I think the scar would need to be reworked if I removed the lines. I agree with the comment about the square shape.

The title chapters that are in bold are the first chapters of each book.
    139 weeks ago
    yeah just get rid of the grey and its a buy.
    139 weeks ago
    LOVE it! Hope it gets picked!
    139 weeks ago
    Let me first say that this idea...IS BRILLIANT! Wonderful idea and pretty good execution.

I would add some pointers, even though it looksl ike you've already submitted it...you'd likely be able to clean up the hangover that you have at the end of the design with the chapter list extended unevenly if you could edit it and, instead of leaving the parts of the glasses and scar blank, you shaded the lettering instead.

Keep the block of white lettering but fill in the name of the chapters until it fits in an organized box of text. Then instead of spacing it, just darken the letters where the glasses and scar would be a shade of gray, likely the shade you've already used. Make it enough of a contrast to show against the white lettering, but also light enough to be noticable on a black shirt.

But it's a freaking awesome design and it's very nostalgic to see all of the chapter names.
    139 weeks ago
    First may I say, I like this design idea :)

I am inclined to agree with the comments about removing the grey lines.

However, far from being easy, this is not an easy style to do well. It's going to require some very careful alignment, otherwise the words won't form the negative space correctly. Just deleting the grey lines will result in a very blocky looking design.

Don't be afraid to...
    -ignore everything I'm saying ;)
    -look at other word picture designs out there and see how they did it
    -consider different fonts, mixed fonts, different sizes, bold, italic or any combination of the above
    -try setting the line spacing differently

Hope this helps, good luck with your design.
    139 weeks ago
    interesting....I working with something like this for a Sherlock ( new bbc series)
    I 'd like to see how this translates onto a shirt.
    139 weeks ago
    Thanks for all of the input! I'll try modifying it a bit.
    139 weeks ago
    very cool. i love it. not sure if i'll buy it cause i already have like 8 black HP shirts from teefury.. i would def buy it if it were a poster lol. great poster idea. but i still might buy the shirt. just a very cool concept.
    139 weeks ago
    I agree with what the others have said, particularly the spacing. The section on the outside right curve of the glasses really draws the eye because of how you've spaced it.
    139 weeks ago
    kool! similarities to my deadpool wip! but with less "bang!" and more actual text! i agree with chirmer though, a more uniform shape of a square for all the text together, and none of them gray lines.
    138 weeks ago
    I've reworked the design slightly. Here's a new version after taking in some of the suggestions you guys made.

harrystory2.png

What do you think of this one?
    138 weeks ago
    Here's a darker version

harrystory2.png
    138 weeks ago
    I like the new darker version, but I think you should go back to having the first chapters of each book being bold, that was a cool idea. Now the only thing that seems to be bold is the last line and it looks kind of arbitrary and unbalanced. The uniform square definitely looks a lot better, though :)
    138 weeks ago
    I really like the design! i would just like to see some color maybe have the glasses and scar done with yellow transparency if that is possible
    138 weeks ago
    love the reworked design and this idea in general...lite or darker version I'd definitely pick this up
    134 weeks ago
    i love this so much i would pay double if it came up....
    134 weeks ago
    I like the idea but I think it only works if you can effectively use the negative space to create the appearance of the glasses and lightening bolt. The drawn on image looks like a placeholder and not a final idea.

The tilt looks better and I think it would be easier to work with the angles. I'd return to the original and expand on the idea of using different sized font throughout and bold (maybe even italic) fonts to achieve the effect.
    134 weeks ago
    I am impatiently waiting for this to be printed, great work!
    134 weeks ago
    Love it! But definitely get the words to look how they did originally with the new reworked glasses are scar. I would buy this immediately, and probably a few more for my friends. GENIUS!