Back to forum
rss 152 weeks ago
Hey there! I'm a long time Facebook TeeFury fan, and I decided to try my hand at making a shirt. FINALLY. Haha!

So, my idea is a MashedPotato of Jones soda and Indiana Jones. Here is what I've made so far — enough to get the concept across, though FAR from finished. What do you think?

http://f.cl.ly/items/3N272A1W3S2u2H0f1Q2l/doctor%20jones%20soda%20idea1.png

Things I specifically want help on:
-- What should the picture be? His dog? The idol from the first film? The Grail? What do you want it to be?
-- The twisty cap smurfs. For some reason I can't get it to look natural (my biggest problem being the 6 color limit)
-- Would you buy this shirt? If no, why?
-- Any design improvements whatsoever, be it to the concept or the execution.

Please tell me ANYTHING that comes to mind about the design, good or bad. I want this baby picked, so I want as much critique as possible.

Thanks!
chirmer~

EDIT: Whoaaa how do I get the image to post?!
15Comments
    152 weeks ago
    Incorporate a snake in there somewhere, maybe? ... lol I mean, Jones hates snakes.

And yes, I'd buy the shirt. Just tweak it a bit. I'm not a designer so I have no real expert advise other than saying that right now it looks sorta plain... but a GREAT idea that I'd love to see improved.
    152 weeks ago
    Thanks for the comment! :D

Yeah, this is pretty much the design at its bare bones, haha. I am tweaking like crazy and the bottle is only halfway done, but I like where it's headed!

I was thinking of adding his "lucky charm", his lighter (that his dad set fire to the castle room with), but I don't want it to get cluttered... I will add different things and see how they look :D

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep posting WIP shots as it progresses :)

Also, anyone know how to get the image to show up? I did the tag thing and it didn't seem to work... D:
    152 weeks ago
    The fedora itself does seem a bit too flat, and looks far more like an Australian Akubra hat than the original Indiana Jones fedora. The brim is far too large! I think that if you made the hat looked like it "floated" in the air behind the soda, giving it a bit of an angle. Here's a reference picture of an AB fedora, modelled very accurately after the screen used fedoras. http://www.kennydrew.com/Indylounge/gts/IMG_0686.jpg

The chilled monkey brain aspect has been done before, so a small suggestion is to use something like, a date? (the fruit, that is, a reference from Raiders).
    152 weeks ago
    I like the concept! It looks good so far, can't wait to see it as you add more detail. Sounds like you have some good ideas to play around with :)
    152 weeks ago
    @Railok yeah, I used my own fedora I got from the Indiana Jones show in Orlando as my reference XD And afterwards I realized it's not the same type of fedora at all :( So that is on the list to change! Thanks for reminding me!

I was stuck between the monkey brain and dates!!! haha! But I couldn't come up with a good name for the flavor except "Not-Poisoned" :( So I also could use suggestions for that ;D

Surfercat, thanks for the comment! and LOL your pic is awesome XD
    152 weeks ago
    OK let's see if this works~

WIP 1

Here is the WIP I failed to post above X(
    152 weeks ago
    chirmer said: @Railok yeah, I used my own fedora I got from the Indiana Jones show in Orlando as my reference XD And afterwards I realized it's not the same type of fedora at all :( So that is on the list to change! Thanks for reminding me!

I was stuck between the monkey brain and dates!!! haha! But I couldn't come up with a good name for the flavor except "Not-Poisoned" :( So I also could use suggestions for that ;D

Surfercat, thanks for the comment! and LOL your pic is awesome XD

Thanks! :D It's really funny that you should comment on it in this thread because the cat I used for the model is my cat Indy, named after Indiana Jones! I think it bodes well for this design's success :P
    151 weeks ago
    Ok I completely reworked this design! Whatd'ya think?

doctor%20jones%20soda%20better1.png
    MockupShirtDrJonesSoda.png

Lemme know your thoughts! :D
    151 weeks ago
    Also, thanks Chuffy for the shirt! ;D
    151 weeks ago
    I liked the bottle/fedora design. The new direction isn't bad, but I think you could merge the two for the best result.
    151 weeks ago
    I've got to say, I preferred the first design. The idol isn't bad but I really love Indy's hat and the soda bottle, they're both such iconic symbols that I think that design really had a lot going for it.

I agree, it would be cool to work the idol into the original design, maybe even if you put that label from the second design onto the bottle in the first.
    150 weeks ago
    ^^ Yes! That's what I was thinking too.
    150 weeks ago
    Yeah, I woke up this morning and thought the same thing XD once I get back to my computer I'll get another WIP posted :D

Thanks so much for the feedback, dudes! You rock :)
    150 weeks ago
    One suggestion is that if you're going to use that font, you might be able to drop the "Dr." and have a cleaner label design. With the fedora and the font, and the idol graphic, you've got the reference nailed down.
    150 weeks ago
    Yeah, totally agree. I think the design is strong enough to drop the "Dr."