Back to forum
rss 153 weeks ago
Hi all. :) I have a rough sketch that I think might make a cool shirt design but I want to get some feedback before I design it fully, especially if it isn't expected to be strong enough.

Photobucket

The music notes are random in the sketch but they would be Epona's Song once they were cleaned up. If it would look better, I might extend them behind Epona instead of cutting off partway and add an ocarina.

One thing I'm worried about is that it isn't particularly "clever", like most of the shirts on here. :/ Would it be a good enough design overall to work?

What do you all think?
34Comments
    153 weeks ago
    I believe this could be brilliant when done! Good work, keep it up!
    153 weeks ago
    ok, deep breath Dakin... and let it out... ok, here comes my love/critique for this concept...

first, let me say that your comment about it NOT BEING CLEVER is totally wrong, this is clever. make no mistake. this is so highly nostalgic and unique i wish i had thought of it first. i mean seriously, who sets out to do a zelda shirt and thinks of epona?! brilliant!

secondly, your illustration skills are fantastic! i hope you keep the style very artistic and leave evidence of your hand in the final. i think a clean, highly sterile illustration would spoil what i am picturing in my mind.

now for my critiques! i'm not sure the triforce is in the right place... it's floating... i like it as a BG element, but i think it might serve the design's comp better if it enveloped it more. not completely, but let me take a shot at describing what i see. starting with the triforce in the BG, epona's hindquarters and tail would break the plane of the left side and the waves of music would break the right. does that make sense? also, i think it would add some nice subtle but effective detail if you had small amounts of dirt/grass being kicked up.

brilliant, amazing, clever design. I will be watching the progress on this one closely!
    153 weeks ago
    idk much about zelda, but it looks cool. and by the looks of your avatar, you need to get to work on a Chuck design, my friend.
    153 weeks ago
    Wow, thank you all for your kind comments, especially Dakin with your extensive feedback! I will definitely take everything you've said in mine and keep you updated with my progress! :)

Also, jpsenior, don't worry, I've been brainstorming some Chuck tshirt designs as well. ;)
    153 weeks ago
    This is really awesome. So much potential here. I've been trying to come up with a OoT design with Epona involved, but never could come up with an idea I felt I could expand upon. I've had Epona's song jotted down in my sketchbook and it never amounted to anything. Glad someone is doing it. Can't wait to see this progress.
    152 weeks ago
    Thanks! I'm really glad you like it! :)

So I've been experimenting a bit with lines and colours/shading and such and I'm having a bit of trouble translating the design into something that would come across as a solid t shirt design. :/ I haven't really gotten to a good point to post my wip or else I would. Dakin, you mentioned something about me going with a more artistic style verse one that is sterile. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about my design, especially with the colour limitation (which seems to be a problem for me)?
    152 weeks ago
    what are you working with? you have PhotoShop and a Wacom?
    152 weeks ago
    I do. I mainly use PS CS3 and a Wacom bamboo.
    152 weeks ago
    Hello. Sorry this isn't in regards to your design, but I was wondering since you guys mentioned it- if the Wacom Bamboo would be a good place to start? I feel like my work would benefit from it once I got the hang of it. If anyone chimes in you can just PM me as to not clutter Jacsilepi's thread.

Also, when I saw this bumped up, I was hoping to see some progress. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    152 weeks ago
    love the idea...hopefully you can figure it all out (based on the suggestions) and the end product will turn out great

good luck :)
    152 weeks ago
    Phame - my cat chewed the cord to my intous so i just hit best buy and grabbed a bamboo. i haven't bothered to upgrade since then because, in all reality, the functionality is the same. i would recommend it highly, especially for beginners because of the price range.

Jacsilepi - That's perfect for what I was talking about before. i just see the power of epona's figure standing out in your sketch and i think it is what is selling it, to me anyway. I would suggest illustrating it in PS with raster lines, not the pen tool. I have a method I use to do these type of illustrations that is quick and effective. if you run into trouble and you need any tips for getting that look just let me know and i would be happy to help
    152 weeks ago
    Thank you all for your advice and encouragements. :) It feels awesome to know that you all are interested and want to see my progress. This time, I actually do have something to show. :) I have not added anything beyond Epona yet since I want her to be perfect first. Tell me what you think, good or bad!

Photobucket
    152 weeks ago
    Looking good, very impressive!
    152 weeks ago
    Thank you! :)

I've done a few more things but I need advice on the additional bits. I don't really like the music bit right now, it looks so off. It isn't done but I need to find a good place for it to go first before I do all of the notes. I might be able to fit it with the 6 notes in more places or the full 10 notes but with fewer options. I'm thinking of outlining it in white or maybe another colour. Thoughts?

Photobucket
    152 weeks ago
    Looking at it now, I really think I will just use the six notes and have the bars flow in the same way I had it originally designed.
    152 weeks ago
    I can't actually view the images right now being at work, but question...

Are you trying to use the actual musical notes for Epona's song, as in, translated to a real Tab, or are you trying to emulate what you would play in OOT? Personally I feel it should be the latter, and instead of the standard note, you should make it the C buttons from the original N64 controller but with the "tails" that you would normally see attached to notes.
    152 weeks ago
    Man, I can't wait to see what this fleshes out to be. So excited!

I agree about the flow. I would either do it the way you originally designed or perhaps change it into a sort of badge/circular orientation.

152 weeks ago
    Next bit done! Want to get this done before I get swarmed with homework! I really liked your idea SeckzBobOmb, and I added it but idk how much I like it. I'm a bit on the fence. What do you think? And thanks, dfragrance! :)

Photobucket

152 weeks ago
    I actually LOVE that! But yeah, I think what you need to do is make the notes more...3D-ish and the "tails" a bit less straight-edged. Give it a similar flow to the entire design. I think that'd probably help you're feeling of it not fitting. If you could tilt the notes and add a more flowing wave to the tails I think you'd be sitting with a winner.
    151 weeks ago
    I want this shirt! omg really, it is freakin epic
    151 weeks ago
    I loooove the Ocarina of Time and have been waiting and waiting for something to come out. So first THANK YOU for working with this theme!

I love the concept of using Epona and the song. Great way to represent Zelda, and unique too. Also, I love horses, so this just may be the TeeFury buy I've been waiting for.

Now, on to critiques: to me something was lost when the colour was added. When I think of Epona from the game (and Google Image to refresh my memory), the colours weren't so stark (bright? - forgive me I have no vocabulary for this). Playing the game didn't feel cartoon-y and the colours and colour style you're using makes it look like a graphic novel or cartoon. The game was more serious. I'd tone the colours down, use more earthy tones, give it kind of a more desert/outlaw feel to it, if that makes sense (Epona was used mostly at Lon Lon Ranch and the Gerudo Fortress which is probably why I associate it with a Western feel). In other words, I think you want a more "raw" feel to the colours, rather than a cartoon look.

I liked the original placement of the notes and bars, and how it filled up more of the right side of the design. I do love using the C buttons on the notes, though. Personally, I would keep the original design layout except move the Triforce to the left of Epona so it balances out.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see how this design plays out!

151 weeks ago
    Okay, I've been trying to keep everything in mind and I've made a lot of adjustments.

SeckzBobOmb, I adjusted the notes and I think it looks better. :) Thank you again!

WalleyGirl, thank you so much for all of the suggestions!! I've adjusted Epona's colour to the best that I could. When it was too yellow or brown, it looked off so I just tried to tone it down, which I hope worked enough for your liking. I enlarged both the bars and the Triforce, which I hope looks better to balance it out.

I'm a little worried about whether or not this is a suitable shirt design and how I might possibly be able to help it flow better at this point; it feels too horizontal, you know what I mean? Please continue to feel free to throw ideas out at me! You guys are awesome!

Photobucket
    151 weeks ago
    very good! nice changes. i agree that the tail needs more flow to mirror the music. and i would still really like small bits of debris being kicked up to anchor epona to the imaginary ground. i really like this design and the way you have brought it together :)
    151 weeks ago
    What if you put like a white drop shadow behind the notes and staff to help it pop up and show up even better? It's really coming along nicely otherwise! :D
    151 weeks ago
    Looking good. What about just using a plain triforce instead of the whole crest (like in your original drawing, but on the left)? Then as someone else suggested, having Epona's tail flow out a bit more to balance the notes...?
  • Load More Comments