Back to forum
image
rss 139 weeks ago
My latest sub to Teefury.

Doctor Hu's Chinese Takeway

Inspired by Dr Who, this design features the Tardis as a Chinese Takeaway carton. I assume the portion size is considerably larger than the box and that every meal comes with a disturbingly accurate fortune cookie.

The text is in English and Chinese. The Chinese reads "Hu Doctor Chinese Food", I received some assistance with it at my local Chinese Takeaway so hopefully it's accurate. :)

I tried several colors for the T-shirt. Black works the best, making the design stand out strongly from the background. The design gets lost on Dark Blue. Some Lighter Blues and Greys work reasonably well.

I'd welcome any feedback. And if you notice a glaring error with the Chinese or have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
43Comments
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Definite buy as is. I love it.
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    I'm a big fan of Doctor Who shirts and this is very good but there's something about the box that i'm just not liking. To me I think it looks a bit disproportionate or maybe a bit flat or maybe it's just my eyes playing up because of the white and black lines in the background. Loving the reference to Dr Who though.
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Haha I like it! I'm premed and I always say the only reason I'd change my last name after marriage is if my husband's last name is Hu so I can be "Dr. Hu." :)
    As for the Chinese, you may want to consider switching to traditional instead of simplified just cause it's more visually appealing (that might just be my opinion, though, cause traditional is what I was raised reading).
    Also, it's pretty formal..it translate more as "doctor hu's foodstuffs"
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    BoonyBhoy said: I'm a big fan of Doctor Who shirts and this is very good but there's something about the box that i'm just not liking. To me I think it looks a bit disproportionate or maybe a bit flat or maybe it's just my eyes playing up because of the white and black lines in the background. Loving the reference to Dr Who though.

    Because of the amount of detail I wanted to get on the Tardis with the limited palette, I had to keep the 3d style simple. It does look a little flat, although the radiating lines (representing the tunnel effect of the show) do trick the eye even more so. It's also partly it's my art style, which I'm kind of fond of, so blame that. :)

    tworivers said: Haha I like it! I'm premed and I always say the only reason I'd change my last name after marriage is if my husband's last name is Hu so I can be "Dr. Hu." :)

    As for the Chinese, you may want to consider switching to traditional instead of simplified just cause it's more visually appealing (that might just be my opinion, though, cause traditional is what I was raised reading).

    Also, it's pretty formal..it translate more as "doctor hu's foodstuffs"

    Thankyou tworivers. Your insight is much appreciated.

    Is the simple Chinese I've written understandable? Or would I be better off with the traditional characters I've written here?
    huchars.jpg
    Is the translation correct? Let me know whichever words work best.

    Many thanks :)
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    I just discovered...
    我可以寫上中國字茶憤怒
    "I can write Chinese characters on Tea fury"
    (At least that's what google translate says)
    This might help in explaining the words to a 沒有受過教育的外國人 (uneducated foreigner) ;)
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    I love the design! Fabulous. The box looks a little squished though, like the angles aren't quite right for a square box. Other than that, it's excellent!
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    snellby said: I love the design! Fabulous. The box looks a little squished though, like the angles aren't quite right for a square box. Other than that, it's excellent!

    Hmm, with what you and BoonyBhoy have said I'm going to look again at the shape of the carton.

    Believe it or not, it's traced from a precisely rendered 3d image I created in a program called Maya. However, I modelled a rectangular based carton rather than a square based one. I can redo this as a square based takeaway carton; mercifully vectors make this a relatively easy task. Once I have confirmation of the Chinese characters, I'll redo and repost here.

    That should be tuesday/wednesday, in the meantime I'm taking the future Mrs Chuffy away for her birthday. :)
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Okey dokey...checked with my mom (who is definitely a more legitimate source haha) and she says " 胡醫生中國餐廳 " is best. (so: doctor hu's chinese restaurant.) However, the simplified as you have it is also correct [the simplified versions of Chinese letters are just that: the same characters but with the strokes pared down, supposedly to make learning them easier] so either way you're good to go :)
    Design wise, I think the box looks good the way it is...all the Chinese takeout boxes I've seen are rectangular like yours.
    Good look with the design and tell Mrs. Chuffy happy birthday for me!
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Just checking in quickly, thank you tworivers to you and you mother. If the shirt makes it on Teefury, I'll buy a shirt for you.

    Back in a few days, will post the revised version then.
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    A definite buy. Although I'd rather have noodles than sticky rice. Oh well.
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    I work at a Chinese take-away place and I would buy this in a heartbeat. The box looks fine to me because I am looking for a TARDIS, but the boxes we use are a little more angled on the corners. Also, I agree that you should use Traditional Chinese as it is what the owners I work for prefer :).
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Chuffy, this is absolutely brilliant. If it doesn't make it on tee fury, make sure we can find it elsewhere. I love this concept.
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Thank you to everyone for all the great feedback. It's been most appreciated. :)

    I managed to find time to sort this before I go.

    The following revisions were made and I resubmitted as the final design.
    * Changed the Chinese from simplified to traditional with more accurate translation
    * Altered the carton shape to a square based carton (suits the tardis better)
    * Modified the perspective slightly (makes carton look less flat)
    * Changed the order from Rice to Noodles ;)

    tfdrhupreview2.jpg
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    I love this, but I really don't like the noodles. Not that I care whether it's rice or noodles, I think they just look out of place.
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Great, i think the noodles are fine. The box looks less flat and more angled, the chinese characters looks great, definitely a worthy design for Teefury. SUBMIT NAWWW!
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Thanks Chuffy...now my husband and I are ordering Chinese food!

    Good design!
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    Perfect. I can't wait to buy these noodles!

    :)
  • image
    139 weeks ago
    omg i would so buy this
  • image
    138 weeks ago
    Definite Buy
  • image
    138 weeks ago
    Love the improvements in the submitted version - the TARDIS looked very odd as a rectangle. I'd buy it in a heartbeat (and probably several more for family members).
  • image
    138 weeks ago
    If I miss this Ill be VERY upset.....
  • image
    138 weeks ago
    You know, I'd love to get into Dr. Who, but man...there's just so much of it that I wouldn't even know where to begin. And the fact that Netflix seems to not want to make it easy to follow the timeline doesn't help...and I doubt I have the time available to dedicate to such an undertaking.

    Still...I hear nothing but great things...
  • image
    138 weeks ago
    Instabuy!!!!
  • image
    138 weeks ago
    SeckzBobOmb said: You know, I'd love to get into Dr. Who, but man...there's just so much of it that I wouldn't even know where to begin. And the fact that Netflix seems to not want to make it easy to follow the timeline doesn't help...and I doubt I have the time available to dedicate to such an undertaking.

    Still...I hear nothing but great things...

    Took me less than a week to get through all six (well, five and a half) New Who series. Granted, I didn't do much eating or sleeping...but oh yes, it's definitely very very worth it. Blink (season 3, episode 10) was the first episode I watched but then I went back to Season 1, ep 1 and watched them in order. If you don't like Blink, you probably won't like the show haha.

    and @Chuffy, the design looks great!! I really like it with the noodles. And glad to be of assistance :)

    P.S. One thing I just thought of: in Chinese, there are different terms for different definitions of "doctor" (i.e. Ph.D vs. MD vs. DDS, etc.) What you have is the term for "medical doctor", which I think is the most correct for the Doctor, but I figured you might want to know.
  • image
    138 weeks ago
    tworivers said:
    SeckzBobOmb said: You know, I'd love to get into Dr. Who, but man...there's just so much of it that I wouldn't even know where to begin. And the fact that Netflix seems to not want to make it easy to follow the timeline doesn't help...and I doubt I have the time available to dedicate to such an undertaking.

    Still...I hear nothing but great things...

    Took me less than a week to get through all six (well, five and a half) New Who series. Granted, I didn't do much eating or sleeping...but oh yes, it's definitely very very worth it. Blink (season 3, episode 10) was the first episode I watched but then I went back to Season 1, ep 1 and watched them in order. If you don't like Blink, you probably won't like the show haha.

    and @Chuffy, the design looks great!! I really like it with the noodles. And glad to be of assistance :)

    P.S. One thing I just thought of: in Chinese, there are different terms for different definitions of "doctor" (i.e. Ph.D vs. MD vs. DDS, etc.) What you have is the term for "medical doctor", which I think is the most correct for the Doctor, but I figured you might want to know.
    So I take it that watching the original series is not a required effort? I'd like to eventually get back to them, but if I can just watch the new series (started what, 2005?) then that might make it a less stressful understaking. Seeing as I'm finishing Voyager right now, then I have less to worry about, I plan on giving Legend of the Seeker another try, if only because I'm so obsessed with Sword of Truth again now that Omen Machine is out and I'm blazing through it...

    But I might forego rewatching the show that I saw when it aired and liked at most 5 episodes of, for a show that everyone in the world claims to love, and thanks to the latest grab bag, I actually have two shirts from, haha.
  • Load More Comments


Back to Top