Back to forum
rss 153 weeks ago
I submitted this the other day, it's a Sherlock (bbc version) parody of a classic Peanuts image, but I was wondering if perhaps it's too simple or obscure? It's my first design/submission so any and all comments would be brilliant. (I hope it's okay to post a pic of something I've submitted -I don't know, my noob-ness is showing.)

19Comments
    153 weeks ago
    The white around the design is a bit messy.
    Also, the lines themselves are too straight. The Peanuts style is a hard one to emulate, because the lines are almost squiggly, as a result of Schulz's hand shaking.
    153 weeks ago
    I like!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very cool!
    153 weeks ago
    i agree with snellby's comments.
    153 weeks ago
    @snellby. Thanks for the input. I decided upon the white outline to make it pop more on the darkish colour background. As for the straight lines,I did try the more organic look but it looked unfinished/unpolished and thought it looked quite obviously like a Peanuts parody despite the slight change in style so went with it. Hmm, I might play around with it a bit though. Thanks for the thoughts anyway. :)
    153 weeks ago
    What's with the skull codpiece? I do enjoy the show on BBC, but skull placement is a bit unfortunate here.
    153 weeks ago
    Skull's line-thickness is thinner than all the other lines, and the 221b looks odd as a font - maybe make all the lines the same thickness, and do the number by hand.

Other than that... like it :)
    153 weeks ago
    Noxika said: @snellby. Thanks for the input. I decided upon the white outline to make it pop more on the darkish colour background. As for the straight lines,I did try the more organic look but it looked unfinished/unpolished and thought it looked quite obviously like a Peanuts parody despite the slight change in style so went with it. Hmm, I might play around with it a bit though. Thanks for the thoughts anyway. :)

I can see what you were going to with the white outline, but it makes it look like there are stray pixels? It's hard to explain, but maybe try making the outline thicker, or eliminating it all together?
    If you can't get the lines to look squiggly, try doing some crosshatching to get that comic book peanuts vibe. Maybe try finding the Schulz font for "Bored"? Also, when Schulz inked in black, he always left a little white showing to make it pop out. :)
    I'm a big Peanuts fanatic. So...I am definitely might be nit-picking.
    153 weeks ago
    @Snellby, wow, you're a hardcore Peanuts fan, lol. I admit I only know it in passing, so these things you mentioned aren't/weren't even on my radar. You were right about the white outline, I removed it (it'll just have to work on lighter shirts) but I can't bring myself to squiggle up the lines, it just looks messy, which while that's part of the charm of the Peanuts universe seems to fight against the Sherlock one. I will check out the font idea.

Thanks for all your feedback. :)
    153 weeks ago
    Noxika said: @Snellby, wow, you're a hardcore Peanuts fan, lol. I admit I only know it in passing, so these things you mentioned aren't/weren't even on my radar. You were right about the white outline, I removed it (it'll just have to work on lighter shirts) but I can't bring myself to squiggle up the lines, it just looks messy, which while that's part of the charm of the Peanuts universe seems to fight against the Sherlock one. I will check out the font idea.

Thanks for all your feedback. :)

So hardcore. I have this huge collection of memorabilia, including a lot of the older comic book releases. :) It's a big thing for me.
    If you're going to go with lighter shirts, may I recommend light blue? I think that would suit it. :)
    153 weeks ago
    I knew Sherlock looked familiar in his adorable-ness!
    And I just put it together!

Hi from a Craftster friend :)
    153 weeks ago
    Aside from all else mentioned, I don't think Sherlock looks enough like a Peanuts character. I'll admit I'm not familiar with the BBC show, I'll assume that's Watson on the bottom, but he looks straight out of a Peanuts strip. If Watson were by himself, no dog house, I would correlate his look to Peanuts. But if I saw Sherlock by himself, no dog house or Watson, I'd never think Peanuts. Just my 2¢. :)
    153 weeks ago
    This is really great! Love the design.
    If you're worried about it being too obscure, you could make the reference a bit more recognizable (without being too obvious) by adding "Baker St." or "Baker Street" onto the 221b.
    I agree, the placement of the skull is a bit awkward.
    153 weeks ago
    TedDastickJr said: Aside from all else mentioned, I don't think Sherlock looks enough like a Peanuts character. I'll admit I'm not familiar with the BBC show, I'll assume that's Watson on the bottom, but he looks straight out of a Peanuts strip. If Watson were by himself, no dog house, I would correlate his look to Peanuts. But if I saw Sherlock by himself, no dog house or Watson, I'd never think Peanuts. Just my 2¢. :)

I agree, I think it has something to do with the nose, at least partly. Peanuts characters shown from the side always have a nose sticking out rather than just a bump. I think fixing that will help.

Schroeder_and_Lucy-1-.jpg

153 weeks ago
    I've decided to stick with it as-is, or rather with the few changes I've already made/mentioned. I didn't want it to be a complete rip on Peanuts/ the Peanuts style, just allude to it. I'm good with it not popping up on TeeFury, I've put it elsewhere so I can buy myself a copy, which was the goal from the begining ^_^ and a few other people have taken a liking to it and bought themselves one too which is awesome. I do thank you all for your feedback, I do appreciate it even if I chose not to act on it all. :)
    153 weeks ago
    While I agree the guy on top of the doghouse doesn't have enough of a Peanuts look- I think he looks cool, and so does that skull...just placed oddly too close to his crotch.
    151 weeks ago
    I just saw a lot of people posting this design on Tumblr talking about how much they wanted this as a tee.
    151 weeks ago
    I like it! I would buy it =)
    151 weeks ago
    Just have to say, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Hope it gets picked!!!
    144 weeks ago
    I love it and I would buy it!