Back to forum
rss 153 weeks ago
Before you direct me to another thread, I've read the ones mentioning the human test and seen various suggestions about it. Not once have I seen a reply from a mod, or a definitive answer, so here goes.

I understand the human test is there to prevent spam. Despite the fact that spam still manages to get past it, as a human, I'm irritated with it. I like to open two or three threads in different tabs so that I don't have to keep going back to the first page to see them. Apparently, the test times out after a while, so by the second or third, I'll fail and have to paste what I copied.

Sure, I've figured out how to deal with it, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. There's no reason I should have to refresh the page before I comment or copy the comment only to paste it again after failing. Isn't there any way to make it so that once you pass the human test, you don't have to do it again for 10 minutes, or something like that?

It's just ridiculous that in the time it took me to type this message, the human test decided I probably wasn't human and I failed it when I went to create the post.
16Comments
    153 weeks ago
    Here's an idea: After someone has made a certain number of posts using the Human Test AND has been a registered member for more than a week, the Human Test is no longer applied.

Keep the exact details required a secret, but I believe raising the member status to a different level (eg. trusted) after qualifying would be a pretty workable solution. The Human Test could be required for new thread creation if someone tries to create more than 1 thread per day (the usual spammer behavior).
    153 weeks ago
    Either that or implement a human test that does not erase everything you've written when you get it wrong. :l
    153 weeks ago
    Chuffy thats a good idea.

snellby said: Either that or implement a human test that does not erase everything you've written when you get it wrong. :l

And yes that ticks me off i always copy what i say before i hit submit. I have learned my lesson.
    153 weeks ago
    i agree with all three comments; i have the same feelings. I only have a problem with the human tests that are hard to read. teefury's is almost impossible sometimes with all the extra lines going through the letters.. some websites have very legible letters which make it much less of an inconvenience.
    I do like Chuffy's idea alot..
    153 weeks ago
    Nothing to do with humans--just that "petrichor" is one of my favourite words, and has been, even before my Doctor days. ^_^b
    153 weeks ago
    Whenever I get the human test wrong and the text field is cleared if I use the browsers back button it retrieves all the lost text and gives you a new set of human test letters. I know its frustrating to still have to prove yourself as being human (and the timing out issues etc), but using the back button still saves you from losing everything you've written.

I'm using chrome if that makes any difference.

ps. To prove the point I actually got the test wrong and had to re-submit my comment after using the back button :) Its annoying but works.
    153 weeks ago
    lol having posted on a board like 4chan with it's capcha code and much faster posting speed, I've grown used to it. And capchas are WAY harder to read.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jSU4LWjurSc/SB2ylDJdsNI/AAAAAAAAAAc/R6iV_zRgQV0/s320/KCAPTCHA_with_crowded_symbols.gif
    (not sure if this image will post. lol)

The Human Test is a walk in the park compared to most capcha codes.
    153 weeks ago
    lol wow. I tried to use an image tag and it completely destroyed my post. Mesa dumb at da HTML.
    The idea of the post was that it could be worse and we could have a confusing capcha code. and this human test is easy peasy compared to that.
    153 weeks ago
    I don't really get why we even have a human test. I have rarely, if ever, even seen auto-spamming on Teefury, and I wasn't under the impression that we were a large enough community to present a realistic target for spamming. Moreover it should be the job of the admins and mods to clean up any spamming that does occur.
    153 weeks ago
    snellby said: Either that or implement a human test that does not erase everything you've written when you get it wrong. :l

Hooray, I noticed the other day that they changed it so it does this now! You don't lose everything anymore when you get it wrong :D
    153 weeks ago
    Surfercat35 said:

Hooray, I noticed the other day that they changed it so it does this now! You don't lose everything anymore when you get it wrong :D

Yep just saw that too, a vast improvement. :)
    153 weeks ago
    It's great that we don't lose our posts now (yay!), but I've not posted once today where I haven't "failed" the human test the first time. And it's not that I'm getting them wrong, or that I'm spending an aeon reading the threads and timing out - it's just being a picky pain and failing me each time. If I couldn't just scroll down and try again, I'd be ready to kill someone by now lol.

*preparing to fail again when I hit the submit button*
    153 weeks ago
    A tip - Just underneat each human test is some text in grey saying "Not readable? Change text." If you click that it seems to work fine first time.
    152 weeks ago
    Thanks Hiratha, I'll give that a try!
    152 weeks ago
    I think the human test has it out for me. I've failed in more since I posted this than I ever did before.

I'd still like to hear something official from a mod?
    151 weeks ago
    Petrichor - so - you find it difficult to impersonate a human... what are you REALLY ?

klscfdewwrtyumgndhgaqpxmcbfgtrdsswgfgbhhjmnasalpxom