Back to forum
rss 153 weeks ago
I am inspired by the great art on this site and I want to try making my own design. But I don't know what computer program I should use or any techniques. I would be thankful for any help.
5Comments
    153 weeks ago
    I use mainly Illustrator.
    153 weeks ago
    preferably free
    153 weeks ago
    Illustrator is ultimately the program I intend to be using, but at the moment I use Corel Paint Shop Pro. Unfortunately...
    Adobe Illustrator costs $599
    and Paint Shop Pro only cost me $29
    Illustrator won't make me a better artist of course, I'll just have more tools at my disposal. And less cash :|

Anyway, I cannot stress enough how important it is to learn to create your art using Vectors - since your artwork can be scaled to any size for maximum clarity.

For free software, try using GIMP (PC & Mac). But honestly if you can find $29 and you use a PC, get Paint Shop Pro. If you have a Mac, you're stuck with GIMP or something very expensive.
    153 weeks ago
    I could never figure out how to do vector graphics in GIMP; you can give it a shot though. It's available for pretty much any platform.

Inkscape is a free vector graphics editor, and is supposed to be similar to Illustrator or CorelDraw. I found it easy to use, at least for the really simple things that I've done with it. It should also be available for almost any platform.
    153 weeks ago
    While I agree with Chuffy that learning to create images with vectors IS a very important thing to do, don't feel afraid to allow your hand to show in your designs. This is, after all, art. Many of our designs are looking more and more like a computer created them with the assistance of a person rather than the other way around. My brother and I create many of our designs in Photoshop with nothing more than a nice, big, high res canvas and a wacom tablet.