Back to forum
rss 154 weeks ago
I'm totally new to this, but just submitted this design. Thoughts on it?

Photobucket

5Comments
    154 weeks ago
    The Hufflepuff crest isn't something that you designed yourself. Someone else drew it, and has the rights to it. Teefury is mostly parody tees, because parodies are protected under the 1st amendment. You have to draw the entire thing yourself. The brushes look nice, but because of the crest, I don't think your design will be chosen. I'm sorry.
    154 weeks ago
    snellby said: The Hufflepuff crest isn't something that you designed yourself. Someone else drew it, and has the rights to it. Teefury is mostly parody tees, because parodies are protected under the 1st amendment. You have to draw the entire thing yourself. The brushes look nice, but because of the crest, I don't think your design will be chosen. I'm sorry.

Oh okay, thanks for the heads up! I'm sure I could design a badge from scratch, but I'm still getting my head around graphic designing, so will have to learn how to convert a hand drawing into a vector.

Would you say the concept is good enough though?

154 weeks ago
    When making t-shirts, or designing in general, always use your own graphics. :) If you're going to go to school for GD you'll learn more about that.

As for the concept, it might need a little bit more. Look up the other house shirts that have been done in the gallery, and see what angles they chose. Like the Ravenclaw Quiddich team shirt that was done recently. Most shirts here have a "gimmick". Another angle would be to play off of Hufflepuff mediocrity. :) A design might take several tries to perfect, but you can do it.

Turning a hand drawn design into a vector is something I'm still learning, I use a mixture of adobe illustrator and photoshop to make my designs. :)
    154 weeks ago
    Cool thanks :) GD is more of a hobby of mine I've discovered, I'm more of a traditional artist - painting and drawing and such - hence why I'm a bit of a novice to all this stuff.

Unfortunately I can't afford photoshop and illustrator, so I've downloaded the free alternatives - GIMP and Inkspace. Hopefully they will do the job :)

I will brainstorm some ideas - I have alcohol related Harry Potter parody I'd like to try out, so I'll give it a go.
    154 weeks ago
    Well, GD can be really fun, but it takes a lot of practice. Designing shirts is a good way to do that, I've found. :D I can't help you with GIMP or Inkspace, but I'm sure you can find some good tutorials online. :) Or someone on here will be willing to help out. Most of the people on this forum are so nice! It's really a great creative atmosphere.