Back to forum
rss 154 weeks ago

The Battle of Paradoxes by ~Onimar on deviantART

Click it to view larger.

This was rejected along with another Portal 2 inspired design. (I'm not yet ready to upload the other design to DeviantArt so I have no other way to post it here.) Please critique :D I'm new to this pop culture shirt design thing so please say anything if this might have copyright infringement issues that may have contributed to it being rejected. Thank you.
9Comments
    154 weeks ago
    i'm not a portal guy, but as a tee guy i can say that it's likely due to the composition. it doesn't seem to me like it would work as a shirt. just using these elements, you could probably restucture it like this:

"Aperture Labs" very large across the top

"presents" similar in size to what it is now

Glados and Wheatley higher in the design, spaced a bit so that they come in slight contact with the Aperture logo, slightly framing it.

Mirror this effect with "Disher" and "Taker" below them.

This would place most of the design on the chest area of the shirt and make a better shirt.

There's my 2 cents, hope it helps!
    154 weeks ago
    oh, and maybe use the "vs" as a background element between the robots to fill the void.
    154 weeks ago
    Thanks! that really helps. i really felt that the design felt boxy and corner heavy i'll try moving it the way you said, closer and such. someone also told me to streamline the design by adding the de-stressed text by making the rest of the text and possibly the art that way, but i'll try yours first haha
    154 weeks ago
    awesome, can't wait to see what you come up with!
    154 weeks ago
    We recently had the "battle of the silence" or "Don't blink" design, wish is is a smiliar concept to this. that may be the reason for this not getting picked.
    154 weeks ago
    ooooh Walrus is right! i would still try to take your design the next step, if for nothing other than the practice
    154 weeks ago
    First off: The design looks awesome, though as is, it looks like it would do better as a poster than a T-shirt.

I have no experience designing for T-shirts, but I think what dakin_costello suggested sounds like the way to go.

Designing for T-shirts you'll have to keep in mind what the physical, final product will look like, not just the image on the screen:

It looks like it's got a large rectangular border, making it look like the T-shirt has a picture on it, rather than is a picture itself. If the border is just for uploading images to the internet, then it looks like the edges of the graphic will all be trimmed off.

Maybe if you can get a picture of just a plain, spread T-shirt you can experiment with placing the graphic:

I tend to like T-shirts that have a sort of banner at chest height, where the eye can see it easiest without having to bend the neck. Minimal text that is fairly close together prevents having to move your focus around a lot in order to take the whole design in. Either that or text that seems to flow, directing the eye as you read it instead of confusing it.

That's because you don't spend a lot of time staring at someone's T-shirt, as things get awkward.

That might be difficult with a sort of wrestler advertisement theme, as you already have essentially the minimal text, so what costello said about trying to bunch it together more, and make a graphic rather than a word out of the "vs." might make things a little tidier for a T-shirt.

T-shirts that aren't banners tend to have an freeform shape to them. It's difficult to describe, but imagine your design without the border and if none of the edges trim off. It'd still visually be very confined, rectangular, like you can imagine the box it was designed within. Some T-shirts I've seen mix that up a bit by moving the splodges more outside the borders to give a less obvious workspace. Though it ultimately depends on whatever makes that T-shirt look good.

Once again, not an expert by any means, but just my thoughts. The artwork and minimal (portal) colour choice look good, especially on white. I'm not a fan of wrestling or anything like that, so part of the design may be lost on me. But ultimately it just seems more like something you'd hang on your wall than wear on your chest at the moment.
    154 weeks ago
    Walrus said: We recently had the "battle of the silence" or "Don't blink" design, wish is is a smiliar concept to this. that may be the reason for this not getting picked.
    i saw that :D that and UFC poster are actually the inspiration for me making this design and obviously the awesomess that is portal 2 haha
    154 weeks ago
    Shadrouge said: First off: The design looks awesome, though as is, it looks like it would do better as a poster than a T-shirt.

I have no experience designing for T-shirts, but I think what dakin_costello suggested sounds like the way to go.

Designing for T-shirts you'll have to keep in mind what the physical, final product will look like, not just the image on the screen:

It looks like it's got a large rectangular border, making it look like the T-shirt has a picture on it, rather than is a picture itself. If the border is just for uploading images to the internet, then it looks like the edges of the graphic will all be trimmed off.

Maybe if you can get a picture of just a plain, spread T-shirt you can experiment with placing the graphic:

I tend to like T-shirts that have a sort of banner at chest height, where the eye can see it easiest without having to bend the neck. Minimal text that is fairly close together prevents having to move your focus around a lot in order to take the whole design in. Either that or text that seems to flow, directing the eye as you read it instead of confusing it.

That's because you don't spend a lot of time staring at someone's T-shirt, as things get awkward.

That might be difficult with a sort of wrestler advertisement theme, as you already have essentially the minimal text, so what costello said about trying to bunch it together more, and make a graphic rather than a word out of the "vs." might make things a little tidier for a T-shirt.

T-shirts that aren't banners tend to have an freeform shape to them. It's difficult to describe, but imagine your design without the border and if none of the edges trim off. It'd still visually be very confined, rectangular, like you can imagine the box it was designed within. Some T-shirts I've seen mix that up a bit by moving the splodges more outside the borders to give a less obvious workspace. Though it ultimately depends on whatever makes that T-shirt look good.

Once again, not an expert by any means, but just my thoughts. The artwork and minimal (portal) colour choice look good, especially on white. I'm not a fan of wrestling or anything like that, so part of the design may be lost on me. But ultimately it just seems more like something you'd hang on your wall than wear on your chest at the moment.

thanks i'll consider those. definitely want to do away with the borders.