Back to forum
rss 141 weeks ago
A design that sort of popped into my head. Not sure if I'm crazy about it.

Cheers,
23Comments
    141 weeks ago
    Looks pretty cool to me. What's the inspiration behind it?
    141 weeks ago
    The helmet and scroll are perfect. I'm not really digging the wing element so much, maybe because there's too many repeats.

Still this is very nice and all beautifully drawn.

Which software do you use, illustrator?
    141 weeks ago
    beware1984 said: Looks pretty cool to me. What's the inspiration behind it?

I know it's an infantry motto. Not sure if that's the specific inspiration here. I love it!
    141 weeks ago
    The inspiration? A desperate need to come up with something different and hopefully cool before someone else thinks of it. LOL

The illustration was probably more convoluted than it needed to be as I'm not that strong (nor consistent) of an artist:

I found a couple of 3D models and used them as reference. I sketched the helmet and TIE Interceptor "wing" separately, composed them together in Photoshop, printed it, and then sketched over that on parchment.

sketch.jpg

Then I scanned the final piece again, fixed errors, adjusted the levels and traced it Illustrator.
    141 weeks ago
    Love the concept! Mostly looks really good but - I like the *idea* of the wing element but I'm not sure it looks quite right.
    141 weeks ago
    @Hiratha: I hear ya. I'm a little iffy on that part, too.
    141 weeks ago
    mannypdesign said:
    The illustration was probably more convoluted than it needed to be....

Hehe. Well it worked :)

I don't think I've ever sketched over something in pencil after I've drawn it in the computer. Still, it might be an interesting method to try to give a design a more authentic hand drawn line.
    141 weeks ago
    Love the concept, but it kinda looks like a crab....
    141 weeks ago
    ROFL Gawdammit you shouldn't have said that. Now that's all I see!
    141 weeks ago
    LOL sorry - I was just trying to work out why the wings weren't working and once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it!
    141 weeks ago
    how did you post your pic of the design on here? still dont know how to do that. do you upload somewhere so u can link html here? looks great btw tho i agree, too many of those ships.
    141 weeks ago
    Onimar said: how did you post your pic of the design on here? still dont know how to do that. do you upload somewhere so u can link html here? looks great btw tho i agree, too many of those ships.

Upload your art to your own webspace or another picture hosting site then using the following code example swapping the box brackets [] for angle brackets
    example
    [img src="http://www.MyWebspace.com/MyPictureNameHere.jpg"]

Also, once you see the crab, you can't unsee it!!! Maybe switch to a different model of Tie fighter, Manny ;)
    141 weeks ago
    Chuffy said:
    Onimar said: how did you post your pic of the design on here? still dont know how to do that. do you upload somewhere so u can link html here? looks great btw tho i agree, too many of those ships.

Upload your art to your own webspace or another picture hosting site then using the following code example swapping the box brackets [] for angle brackets
    example

[img src="http://www.MyWebspace.com/MyPictureNameHere.jpg"]

Also, once you see the crab, you can't unsee it!!! Maybe switch to a different model of Tie fighter, Manny ;)

thanks. lol i just saw the crab xD
    141 weeks ago
    looks great, but the wing part is somewhat too busy
    maybe try halftoning the fill colour it, so it fades into the shirt colour to the center (behind the helmet) ... so that only the front ... urrr ... thingy is fully coloured? would add some depth and hopefully get rid of the busy parts without having to drop them from the design ...

Death from Above (1979) is also a great band, just saying
    141 weeks ago
    Thanks for all the critiques -- lots of solid advice.

Back to the drawing board…
    141 weeks ago
    Like this concept very much. Looks like you have gotten some solid advice to work with. Just posted a Star Wars tee concept in the forum last night and hope to get some feedback myself. Good to see other 'troopers' are getting some attention.
    141 weeks ago
    kgullholmen said: looks great, but the wing part is somewhat too busy

maybe try halftoning the fill colour it, so it fades into the shirt colour to the center (behind the helmet) ... so that only the front ... urrr ... thingy is fully coloured? would add some depth and hopefully get rid of the busy parts without having to drop them from the design ...

Death from Above (1979) is also a great band, just saying

I also thought of the band when I read the quote.

Ok so here's my "advice" (I put it in quotes since I think it looks cool as is although I do now see the crab). Cut down the winged part of the helmet and just have one Thai interceptor on each side. Then try reworking/adding nods to star wars to make it more oblong or circular. The circle is a very pleasing shape to the eye and keeps it moving around the image so if I get stuck I usually do a copy paste of the whole thing and rework it into a circle(ish) shape. Sometimes it works sometimes not but it can't hurt to try...
    138 weeks ago
    I just saw the finished version of this on your Teefury profile page and may I say WOW. It looks amazing, you really improved it! I'm shocked Teefury hasn't ripped your arm off in eagerness to print this one, I love it!
    138 weeks ago
    Thanks, Hiratha! I really appreciate it. I plan on submitting it soon.

*Fingers crossed*
    138 weeks ago
    Yep, the new version rocks.

I think you risk the ire of a thousand angry color whiners by going with Brown, rather than Black or Dark Grey shirt with White or Light Grey print. Personally, I like the draftsmen sketch style the Brown gives it but it's something to consider.
    138 weeks ago
    Thanks Chuffy!

I might work up some alternatives before submitting it to TeeFury.
    138 weeks ago
    While I personally think colour whiners should be publicly humiliated rather than pandered to, it is true that Storm Troopers and the Empire are more associated with black, white and grey than they are with brown. I love the way it looks on brown, but perhaps sticking to the traditional colour palette might make it look even better!
    138 weeks ago
    Hiratha said: While I personally think colour whiners should be publicly humiliated rather than pandered to, it is true that Storm Troopers and the Empire are more associated with black, white and grey than they are with brown. I love the way it looks on brown, but perhaps sticking to the traditional colour palette might make it look even better!

I have to (respectfully) disagree. If you go with the grey/black color pallete it turns it into a much more average storm trooper design. You don't have to do it exactly to spec that's the wonders of art!