Back to forum
rss 154 weeks ago
Working on a design idea that suddenly dawned on me when I was being silly earlier.

Whovian based on the Hoover logo

This is a rough draft, I'm gonna give it a more polish, maybe a shiny edge.

Anyone like the idea? thoughts and feedback welcomed.
25Comments
    154 weeks ago
    nah, this one is a solid concept and will sell itself! i agree though about a little more polish, kinda like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hoover+logo&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=2000&bih=1009&tbm=isch&tbnid=a7aziddRwhTMeM:&imgrefurl=http://daveibsen.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451db4269e201538df9460d970b-popup&docid=i0Yp-uG__7K9sM&w=300&h=300&ei=3Zs5ToGkK-TXiALv6pndDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=449&vpy=108&dur=3236&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=145&ty=136&page=1&tbnh=127&tbnw=127&start=0&ndsp=66&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0
    154 weeks ago
    dakin_costello said: nah, this one is a solid concept and will sell itself! i agree though about a little more polish, kinda like this: link

As it turns out, this is the one I was using as a point of reference just before I noticed you posted. Great minds eh?
    154 weeks ago
    :::air high five:::
    154 weeks ago
    Oh! Like this, and agree with a little more polish (like the shine)...

But I would LOVE to see it in Tardis blue!
    154 weeks ago
    theatre_nerd said: Oh! Like this, and agree with a little more polish (like the shine)...

But I would LOVE to see it in Tardis blue!

Thanks. I'm considering blue, but for the time being I'm using blue as a the T-shirt color.

whovianv2.jpg

The letter W is not final, the other lettering needs a slight tweak. I only popped in one highlight to see how it works, it's not quite right yet but when it is I'll add others. The white detail has a small black drop shadow.

whovianv2detail.jpg
    Detail
    154 weeks ago
    i would like to see it with the secondary light cast on the right side. this is a perfect example of a less-is-more concept. simple, clever, relevant. nice job.
    154 weeks ago
    Thanks. I need to perfect the highlight method. At the moment I'm using a simple gradient then halftoning it. It's a little too precise though. In the same way that I reverted to creating the letters in vectors rather than using a font.

I'm gonna sleep on this. If anyone has a suggestion on a different technique for the highlights, I'd appreciate another method to try.
    154 weeks ago
    Have you tried using a gradient map in Illustrator? It gives tones of control and versatility. I've used for product mockups for various clients of the years. It's a little resource intensive, especially or the RIP side, but well worth it. Also, re dakin's comment, putting more light on the right means moving the shadow the other way. Otherwise, I love it.
    154 weeks ago
    Thanks for help. :) As a direct result of the feedback and suggestions from dakin_costello, theatre_nerd and chewietoo I have managed to finish my design. Well, 2 designs. :)

Both versions have been submitted to Teefury and I invite the most loyal and dedicated Dr Who fans... sorry, Whovians to pick their favorite.

whovianred.jpg
    Whovian (Hoover Red)

whovianblue.jpg
    Whovian (Tardis Blue)
    154 weeks ago
    Though I like the Hoover Red because it's more recognizable as a Hoover parody, I would have to go for the Tardis Blue because, well it's Tardis Blue and that's awesome :)
    154 weeks ago
    I have to admit, I have yet to watch Dr. Who. *dodges eggs* It's on my very long list. However, I still think this design is pretty awesome. I really dig the red one. Old school logos are the bee's knees.
    154 weeks ago
    As much as I love the TARDIS blue, you lose the whole Hoover effect....
    154 weeks ago
    Love it. Great idea.
    Hmmm...choosing between TARDIS blue and Hoover red is a tough one. I like the blue because it's fun when Dr. Who references change non-blue things to TARDIS blue, simply because I definitely associate the color blue with Dr. Who. But the red makes it more recognizable as a Hoover parody...Yes, I have decided. I definitely wish I could have both. :D Hope it gets printed.
    154 weeks ago
    secondary highlight is win. do love. as for colors, this is going to be a win/lose situation. in all reality, are you appealing to fans of dr who or fans of hoover vacuums? i think you will win more people with blue.
    154 weeks ago
    GHIPaul said: As much as I love the TARDIS blue, you lose the whole Hoover effect....

It's a difficult choice. I wouldn't have submitted the Tardis Blue version, only it looks so nice. Ultimately, for a parody to work there has to be recognition.
    Is the reference obvious enough to work in Blue?
    154 weeks ago
    dakin_costello said: secondary highlight is win. do love. as for colors, this is going to be a win/lose situation. in all reality, are you appealing to fans of dr who or fans of hoover vacuums? i think you will win more people with blue.

As popular as Dr Who is, T-shirts of well known household appliance brands are likely to sell far more on Teefury... errr, wait a second... you may have a point dakin. ;)
    153 weeks ago
    ok so this smurfs. Where'd the pics go? Can anyone else see them? I'm getting nothing but text. aaaarrrggghhhh!
    153 weeks ago
    never mind. It's working now. Headquarters, disregard my last transmission.
    153 weeks ago
    Chuffy said: .
    Is the reference obvious enough to work in Blue?

Honestly, the reference isn't obvious enough to *me* to work in red. I seriously couldn't have told you what the Hoover logo looked like, I don't think I've ever seen it before. On that note alone, I think it's better in blue. (Also, dakin's right about appealing to Whovians vs... Hooverans?)
    153 weeks ago
    I've decided to give up designing T-shirts.

Instead I'm starting an appliance customizing service called "Pimp my Hoover". I'm running with the tag line "We give you more smurf", catchy don't you think? ;)

But seriously, I think Blue is winning judging by page views and favoritings on redbubble. It gives the Who flavor far better and as Dakin said, the design is for Who fans.
    153 weeks ago
    Apparently, the word related to Suction is a dirty word :)

Smurfy word filter smurfs.
    153 weeks ago
    I really like the blue one. :) I think it looks swell. Clever reference, Chuffy!
    153 weeks ago
    Dude, WTS. But I digress.
    153 weeks ago
    Red makes for the better Hoover Spoof. Tardis bule as the T color would be balanced. Perhaps a caption like : "Best for finishing before you started", or "Choice of Timelords everywhen" ?
    153 weeks ago
    The TARDIS blue is the best! The color makes the design extra special but the background T-shirt color should be grey not more blue.
    Over all, Love it! I want this shirt!