Back to forum
rss 141 weeks ago
Hi all, been working on this Fringe idea, and looking for some feedback. Especially stumped on background color. Any suggestions?

21Comments
    141 weeks ago
    I don't know the reference, but the art is nice. I just think the finger holes look flat in contrast to the rest of the piece.

I'm also thinking you should try putting a shadow underneath or maybe a reflection, so it looks like it's sitting on something and not floating. May or may not look better, but I'd give it a shot just to see. I personally don't have any issues with the background color. Good stuff.
    141 weeks ago
    Thanks, MisterPhame. Working on the shadow and depth in the finger holes. I think it's much improved! (This time the compression seemed to make the letters scratchy- but the real image doesn't look like that.)

bowling%20ball%20d5%20flat.jpg
    141 weeks ago
    I think it might look better if you put the shadow slightly more to one side or the other, as if the light source is coming from slightly to the left or right, if that makes sense. As it is now, it kind of looks like it's sitting on some sort of a pedestal or falling into a hole.

The ball itself looks awesome though! And the holes are much improved.
    141 weeks ago
    The design looks good. I think a bold background color would be better like red or royal blue. Great to see a Fringe shirt!!
    141 weeks ago
    Worked on the shadow a bit more, but it would change completely on a different background color. I'll play around with reds and blues a bit and see. Thanks for the ideas!

bowling%20ball%20d7%20flat.jpg
    141 weeks ago
    I'm not familiar with Fringe, but I had to reply and say I really dig the illustration overall. Very nice!

Well done.

P.S. Nothing wrong with the BG colour… I like it.
    141 weeks ago
    Design is great. Background needs to be a bold color like red or royal blue. Hope to be able to purchase. Love Fringe!!
    141 weeks ago
    Although I don't know Fringe at all, I love the tradional printed feel of this design. It looks like it wouldn't be out of place on a 1950's poster. I like how you've created the shading and sparkles of the ball. And the hatching technique on the finger holes works sympathetically with this design style.

Could you curve the bottom text (below the thumb hole) a little more? It seems that it would be more curved than that.

Bowling balls come in so many fabulous colors with sparkles, I'd be tempted to try a few different ones.
    141 weeks ago
    love it!!!
    141 weeks ago
    Hi all. Thanks for the love!! And the suggestions, even if you aren't all Fringe fans... YET. ;)

I posted a few more with some tweaks and some color options. (Sorry the images are huge- still getting a handle on this!!) @Idic- I couldn't get a royal blue or red to work- the ball itself is already 5 colors, so I couldn't get the shadow colors right with such a bright color. But I think the light blue works. Whaddya think?

@Chuffy- I tried adjusting the text a bit. What do you think?

bowling%20ball%20cream%20%2B%204%20colors%20small.jpg

bowling%20ball%20blue%20%2B%206%20colors%20small.jpg

bowling%20ball%20grey%20%2B%205%20colors%20small.jpg

141 weeks ago
    I love the idea and the reference! How does it look on a slightly dark (not too dark) navy blue color?
    141 weeks ago
    And I feel the need to add, that regardless of what color its printed on, as long its not super bright or white/cream, I will buy it if its printed. This is just too good of a Fringe shirt to not be printed (I didn't think Walter's ice cream shirt wasn't deep enough into the series for a print), but I do stick with my idea that you should try for a medium-darkness blue.
    141 weeks ago
    I love this idea, but I definitely think the text needs some work - I don't think the size of the font or the style of the font (especially on the Sam Weiss) works. It also needs to be clearer.
    140 weeks ago
    I haven't been able to stop thinking about this design since you posted it! Please tell me you come to a finished product and submitted it!
    140 weeks ago
    @Hdawger- Thanks! I got a bit distracted by my day job, but now I am back with a vengeance to finish this design. Or rather I will be, once I get back from the zoo with my toddler. ;)
    140 weeks ago
    @Doc_1sh Thanks! I understand you have a day job and everything which makes me even more appreciative that you would take the time to design such a sweet shirt for me and the many other Fringe fans out there! :D
    140 weeks ago
    It's submitted! (with revised fonts and a few tweaks!) cross your fingers!
    139 weeks ago
    Is there any news on this being accepted? And if not do you have a redbubble account that you ended up selling it on?
    139 weeks ago
    @ Hdawger- sorry. no news. and no it's not for sale elsewhere.
    139 weeks ago
    Thanks for the reply. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because a lot of submissions don't end up printed until weeks after they were submitted.
    138 weeks ago
    I like the idea, don't know if it would be a purchase though...