Back to forum
rss 155 weeks ago
Just thought I would come out of lurk mode and offer my first design up for crit, and a quick introduction. I'm a designer from Canada (over 15 years and counting), a father of two, and a pop-culture nut. I'm amazed at the creative community that's fostered here -- lots of talented folks!

Anyway, my wife is a huge Supernatural fan (I'm relatively new, myself -- just finished a marathon and finally watched all the episodes I missed in a 5 season trench run in the evenings, LOL.) Here's a shirt I made for her two favourite lads:

I tried to come up with some sort of gimmick (clever tag line) but I thought it'd be better served it just the names.

Thoughts?
13Comments
    155 weeks ago
    Very nicely done. No need for a tag line, it stand up on its own.

My preference - either no distressing or a more subtle distressing than the one you've done. Any chance of a close up? We know what a t-shirt looks like. ;)
    155 weeks ago
    I agree with Chuffy that it could use more subtle distressing, but IMO it definitely needs SOME. Just seems more fitting with the show.
    155 weeks ago
    Oh and by the way, I really like the design. Forgot to say that. =P
    155 weeks ago
    It's awesome seeing a spn shirt on the forums, and I like the design, but perhaps it is too similar to the "Winchester Bros." shirt sold by the CW?
    SN_T8.jpg

Maybe not though. It's really late here, and I should probably go to sleep.
    155 weeks ago
    Thanks for all the comments!

@snellby: Oy, I hadn't seen that one (and here I was thinking I was clever, LOL). I'd say there are some similarities to be had, and differences as well to be sure.

Back to the drawing board. :)
    155 weeks ago
    Sorry. :C. I really like your design much better than the official one. The typography and colors are great. The only reason I mentioned it was because there was some controversy a few weeks ago about original designs and such.
    I hope to see more of your designs in the future. :). This is a really swell place.
    155 weeks ago
    I would say the design is different enough and were I choosing, I'd prefer Manny's design.

I spend a good while scouring the net after I think of an idea for a design before I start work on it. A recent piece of work I did took a good 8 hours to produce. That's a lot of time wasted if it ends up being compared to someone elses work, or worse accused of plagiarism (as has happened here a few weeks ago).

1. Come up with an idea.
    2. Write it down (important! lest you forget).
    3. Scour the net, google image search, various t-shirt sites and Art sites to check no-one did it already.
    4. Start work.
    5. Complete it before someone tunes into your brainwaves and has the same idea.

I think I'm gonna go make a Top Hat from tin foil. :)
    155 weeks ago
    No worries, Snellby. Better to know, right? :) Regardless, it's good to hear positive feedback in spite of my duplicating of efforts, LOL!

Today's Back to the Future tee reminded me of an old design I had done about a year ago (another logo type of shirt). I might post it sometime once it's passed, so people don't get overdosed on BTTF designs.

Cheers, all!
    155 weeks ago
    @Chuffy: All good points. I think I didn't scour #3 enough. However, considering it's from the CW there's no excuse on my part. :D
    155 weeks ago
    how do u create a shirt....computer website or paper. Please help so shoot me up and email [email protected] Also that is so SICK!!!!!!!!
    155 weeks ago
    Temporary image until the DNS issue is resolved.

tumblr_lp9gi0K0zp1qbr3co
    155 weeks ago
    It's so tough to give up on a design just because a concept is already out there. I have so many designs that I later find have been done (usually poorly) but I'm too worried about the blowback to move forward with them. Just something I gotta deal with I guess.
    155 weeks ago
    Honestly, now that I'm awake, I'd say go with it anyway. It's a great design, much better than the CW's, and I'd just love to see a Supernatural design get printed. :) I'm sure the rabid fan base would love it as well.