Back to forum
rss 141 weeks ago
Design based on Torchwood: Miracle Day.

Photobucket

First of all, here's the inspiration. The logo for PhiCorp...

...and the storyline in Miracle Day regarding Overflow Camps (no spoilers, the image is bad enough).

The font for PhiCorp was the tricky park. It's based on the font used for the PlayStation and Spider-Man. However, a look at the Spider-Man logo...

...shows the font is always in italic (downloading a free version always has the normal text leaning at around 17.2 degrees). And the 'P' has a serif, but the 'R' doesn't. But I cleaned that up and it's identical.

'De Cymru Safle' means 'South Wales Site' in Welsh.

It's a simple enough design. Opinions?
16Comments
    141 weeks ago
    i haven't watched the latest episode (which I assume explains overflow camps) but I like it!
    141 weeks ago
    I think the design needs to be about 25-50% wider, whilst maintaining the current height.

I notice you reversed the colors of the logo and text. Consider if you were to follow the colors of the source image, just as if the label was on a blue shirt. So you end up with a design that is a white box with the logo oval and the text as thru-color. And the text below the line on your current design could remain as white.
    141 weeks ago
    Chuffy said: I think the design needs to be about 25-50% wider, whilst maintaining the current height.

I notice you reversed the colors of the logo and text. Consider if you were to follow the colors of the source image, just as if the label was on a blue shirt. So you end up with a design that is a white box with the logo oval and the text as thru-color. And the text below the line on your current design could remain as white.

The design's right against the edge of the piece, which conforms to t-shirt dimensions (it's currently 12" by 16" at 300dpi) so there might be an optical illusion thing going on here. I'll add extra blue to the side just to the sides and it'll make it look better. At least, it should.

I found a larger version of the logo...

Photobucket

...so it looks like the phi (Greek letter) is white in all of them. I also noticed I'd made mine too big in the oval, and the line off the 'R' needed a little lengthening.

Photobucket

...I don't think there's a lot that can be done with this design without making it too busy ...but the logo and text as through colors helps separate it from the lower text.
    141 weeks ago
    Petrichor said: i haven't watched the latest episode (which I assume explains overflow camps) but I like it!

How about now?!?
    141 weeks ago
    I don't know if you'll agree, but I think your thru color version will look a lot nicer on a T-Shirt. :)
    141 weeks ago
    Chuffy said: I don't know if you'll agree, but I think your thru color version will look a lot nicer on a T-Shirt. :)

^_^
    141 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said:
    How about now?!?

I watched it almost as soon as I saw this and now I double love it!! The only thought I'd have is maybe see next week if they mention a specific place where it is, like Cardiff (Caerdydd) or Swansea (Abertawe)? Regardless, I used to live in Wales, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you used "De Cymru Safle."
    141 weeks ago
    I think the proportions of the logo are still off. The oval isn't quite there. I took the liberties to make the adjustment. The photo of the logo on the wall looks round, but it's the perspective that's throwing you off, IMHO. Although the logo on the box is tiny (top) it's a good, near head-on, shot. You could almost crop and rotate it to use as a guide.

phi.jpg

You've matched the font perfectly, but it needs to be it's standard horizontal width.
    141 weeks ago
    I actually like the second design the best it looks good!
    141 weeks ago
    mannypdesign is bang-on about the oval.

Photobucket

I was seeing a lot of shine on the logo too, thinking that was part of the design, but if you look at the logo on the right of the image with Rex at the warehouse, there's no diffused light effect on the logo. It's just the lighting on a glossy surface.

So: oval, text lined up to match at the bottom. Version 3 (and imagine more blue to the sides because it's an 800 by 600, not 800 by 640!

Photobucket
    141 weeks ago
    Petrichor said:
    Jackpot777 said:
    How about now?!?

I watched it almost as soon as I saw this and now I double love it!! The only thought I'd have is maybe see next week if they mention a specific place where it is, like Cardiff (Caerdydd) or Swansea (Abertawe)? Regardless, I used to live in Wales, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you used "De Cymru Safle."

Diolch yn fawr, dim problem, croeso. And yes, I'm using an English - Welsh phrasebook for that! At the moment, it's the 'South Wales Site' because those were the words that Rhys used to described where Gwen's dad was being taken from the hospital at the end of Episode 4. If it changes in the episode, it changes on the design ...but I think this is part of the logistics that the scriptwriters have taken into account.

It would make sense to have one large location name... South Wales has a population of 2.1 million thanks largely to Swansea, Cardiff, and Newport. In the beginning ten minutes of Episode 4, Doctor Juarez was told there were a number of Washington, D.C. hospitals that were consolidating their still-alive patients into one hospital that was closed in 1992. "Rather than have fifteen hospitals at maximum capacity, we have one. This one." But like I say: if it's given a name in the show, that becomes the name on the design!

Memo to self: the oval and Phi symbol are a LOT more oval, more squished vertically, than I thought. The text is clean and perfectly aligned, so tonight / tomorrow I'm going to play around with the top of the design.
    141 weeks ago
    OK: small tweaks are done. More 'oval', the oval lines up with the letters right, reduced the size of the rectangle.

Version 4.

Photobucket
    140 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said:
    But like I say: if it's given a name in the show, that becomes the name on the design!

Not to spoil too much of the show (the UK will get to see episode 5 on Thursday, 9pm, BBC1), we have a location.

Cowbridge (Welsh: Y Bont-faen) is a market town in the Vale of Glamorgan in Wales, approximately 7 miles (11 km) west of Cardiff.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

An old army barracks, closed down in 1996. Strategically well placed to a small airport and a water supply.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The storyline has prompted a design location, and there's an English and Welsh spelling of the Overflow Camp's location. Here is version 5...

Photobucket
    140 weeks ago
    Huge fan of Torchwood here, last nights episode was mindblowing, but honestly not a big fan of the design. I think this suits better on a poster or sticker, not so much a shirt.
    140 weeks ago
    I like it much more as South Wales site than Cowbridge. I kept waiting for them to say where it was, and as soon as it said Cowbridge I thought "man, I hope Jackpot doesn't put that on the Phicorp shirt." =p
    140 weeks ago
    Petrichor said: I like it much more as South Wales site than Cowbridge. I kept waiting for them to say where it was, and as soon as it said Cowbridge I thought "man, I hope Jackpot doesn't put that on the Phicorp shirt." =p

Maybe I should have a sticker on a corner saying 'Category 1 - Module' and add some burns to it. And people could wear it with a red clothes peg stuck on it.

SPOILERS!! To our British readers: Thursday, 9pm, Beeb One.