Hey guys. So I am many hours into the illustration of this strange mash-up and I figured I had better get some fresh eyes. My bro and I came up with this concept of a Friends tweak (original concept also shown below, shodan swapped for Alma) and are pretty excited but input is always welcome. Be brutal, we have thick skin and just want the best design possible.

Keep in mind that only Alma (minus akuma's hand on her shoulder), Akuma and Sniper Wolf are finished. You can see our progression from left to right, top to bottom so far.

Concept:
Photobucket

So Far:
Photobucket

Detail 1
Photobucket

Detail 2
Photobucket

Detail 3
Photobucket

16Comments
    142 weeks ago
    If you just give pyramid head some more work, i think it would be a buy as is. I think it would work better as a shirt if it had them fade out, rather than as a compete picture,
    Ya, get what im saying?
    142 weeks ago
    yeah, I was going to have the BG fade out, is that what you mean? or are you saying ssmurf the BG and just have the characters fade out instead? I still have a long way to go on pyramid head... u_u'
    141 weeks ago
    submitted:

Photobucket

141 weeks ago
    btw, this would have been SUCH a better show.... just sayin....
    139 weeks ago
    This is an awesome design, but something, I am not sure what, takes away from the "friends" feeling a bit too much. I mean, if someone saw this on the street, would they get the Friends reference, even with the name atop being in the font? It's a pretty famous pose from the show, but the characters are in such contrast to the original positioning of the Friends characters that it'd be a tough distinction.

And while some might say that isn't important, I think it's the only thing that ties these characters together. Otherwise it's just throwing a bunch of random game enemies into one shot with no rhyme or reason.

I think it's a great design but something that still must be worked on. I think it's honestly Pyramid Head's full body pose and the swords. If only you had done this with the more famous pose, of them in the park on the couch all next to each other, it might have been easier to see the resemblance to the show and the Friends motif. Either way, fantastic art none-the-less.
    139 weeks ago
    love the final design. really hope it gets picked up!
    139 weeks ago
    I'd buy it!
    139 weeks ago
    Awesome!
    137 weeks ago
    Finished this bad boy up

Photobucket
    137 weeks ago
    SeckzBobOmb said: This is an awesome design, but something, I am not sure what, takes away from the "friends" feeling a bit too much. I mean, if someone saw this on the street, would they get the Friends reference, even with the name atop being in the font? It's a pretty famous pose from the show, but the characters are in such contrast to the original positioning of the Friends characters that it'd be a tough distinction.

And while some might say that isn't important, I think it's the only thing that ties these characters together. Otherwise it's just throwing a bunch of random game enemies into one shot with no rhyme or reason.

I think it's a great design but something that still must be worked on. I think it's honestly Pyramid Head's full body pose and the swords. If only you had done this with the more famous pose, of them in the park on the couch all next to each other, it might have been easier to see the resemblance to the show and the Friends motif. Either way, fantastic art none-the-less.

took this all into consideration by the way, thanks. I did my best to address these problems and I think the design is much better for this.
    137 weeks ago
    Freaking A!!! can you draw or what?! Hot smuuuuuurf. Do you do comics or something for a living? If not, you should. This is KILLER!

I have no idea what it's referencing (shame, I know) other than Friends, but I'll tell ya, it looks incredible. Like, ridiculously so. Super jelly of your skills, man! Did you do this in Illustrator? Photoshop? SAI?
    137 weeks ago
    chirmer said: Hot smuuuuuurf

Awkward...
    137 weeks ago
    chirmer said: Freaking A!!! can you draw or what?! Hot smuuuuuurf. Do you do comics or something for a living? If not, you should. This is KILLER!

I have no idea what it's referencing (shame, I know) other than Friends, but I'll tell ya, it looks incredible. Like, ridiculously so. Super jelly of your skills, man! Did you do this in Illustrator? Photoshop? SAI?

thanks, that's very nice of you to say. And no, I don't illustrate for a living.... I deliver pizzas lol
    136 weeks ago
    Dakin... you know that saying don't quit your day job? Maybe you should quit your day job lol. Your a smuuuuuurf good illustrator!
    136 weeks ago
    great design, amazing illustration skills, no question

my only complaint would be that Pyramid Head gets somewhat lost in the design, it's really hard to spot him at first glance. I think it because all the other characters either break the design's outline or are surrounded by more contrasting shapes / tones.

but that's really all I could possibly criticize. great job
    136 weeks ago
    Sgelenter said: Dakin... you know that saying don't quit your day job? Maybe you should quit your day job lol. Your a smuuuuuurf good illustrator!

Thanks! But the truth is I'm still pretty green. It takes me waaaaaaay longer to get the results I want than someone would be willing to pay me for at this point lol!

chirmer said: Freaking A!!! can you draw or what?! Hot smuuuuuurf. Do you do comics or something for a living? If not, you should. This is KILLER!

sorry, I didn't address your last question... I am illustrating in PS/Illustrator combined. Also, the reference is sort of video game villains in general but specifically the ones pictured are (L to R, T to B) Alma, Akuma, Sniper Wolf, Sephiroth, Wesker and Pyramid head :)

kgullholmen said: great design, amazing illustration skills, no question

my only complaint would be that Pyramid Head gets somewhat lost in the design, it's really hard to spot him at first glance. I think it because all the other characters either break the design's outline or are surrounded by more contrasting shapes / tones.

but that's really all I could possibly criticize. great job

HAHA! I thought he was too dominant u_u' You know, I really appreciate that you can always find a legitimate crit even in a design you enjoy! It's much appreciated!