Back to forum
rss 156 weeks ago
Please take a look at these designs. They are the first ones I have submitted for consideration. Please give constructive feedback. Let me know if you think you might purchase any of these if they were available here.

Be GENTLE, it's my first time!

Thanks for looking!
16Comments
    156 weeks ago
    TROY AND ABED!!!! I love it !
    And don't really know the other ones so can't say much about those ref!
    156 weeks ago
    those look pretty nice! It's a lot better than what I just posted :D
    156 weeks ago
    Love the 1st two designs especially the Firefly one. Firefly shirt would be smuuuuuurf close to an instabuy.

I also like the Troy and Abed one especially since there is a lack of Community themed shirts, but for some reason Troy looks a little weird. Can't figure out what is bothering me, but either way I would probably buy it.
    156 weeks ago
    Very nice! I love the work on all of them, beautifully done! I especially like the Firefly and Community one - Troy and Abed in the morning is brilliant, though I agree that Troy looks a bit off, he almost looks middle eastern or something. But still a great design! Great job! :)
    156 weeks ago
    Some strong designs there, I like your caricature style.

Nothing wrong with the work, but you do need to limit your color palette. Teefury limits you to 6 colors maximum per design and one of those colors will be white if it's printed on a dark shirt; they use the white as a base layer.

A quick count suggests you're using about a dozen colors on the Firefly design (I saw 11, but I'll bet I missed one). I see you are already working with halftoning and thru color, so I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work. :)
    156 weeks ago
    I love the firefly design. Kinda like the supernatural design, don't know if Cass should be there and if ya leave him there, I think his wings should be white. Of course I think I might get rid of the wings all together. Didn't the rest of the designs at first glance, but they looked good.
    156 weeks ago
    Chuffy said: Some strong designs there, I like your caricature style.

Nothing wrong with the work, but you do need to limit your color palette. Teefury limits you to 6 colors maximum per design and one of those colors will be white if it's printed on a dark shirt; they use the white as a base layer.

A quick count suggests you're using about a dozen colors on the Firefly design (I saw 11, but I'll bet I missed one). I see you are already working with halftoning and thru color, so I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work. :)

I have several halftones on the Firefly one. But thanks for the tip. Hopefully if that one gets picked, we can work out the particulars.
    156 weeks ago
    I love The Bronze one, would definitely buy it.
    156 weeks ago
    On the caricatures, I would recommend varying your line weight a little - thicker in places where a little shadow might collect, that kind of think. Plus, personally, if I'm going for the 'one-thickness' approach I generally go for a really thick bold line, but that might not be your style.

I should also add I'm currently un-published by Tee fury, so take my advice with a pinch of salt ;)
    156 weeks ago
    In my opinion the caricuture style designs wouldn't work as shirt designs, not that I'm a pro.
    Out of all the designs the only one i would consider buying is the "Bronze" one, as it is the only one that i think works on ashirt and looks like an actual logo.
    However I think if the "Troy and Abed design was worked on to appear more logoy then it would be a good design.
    156 weeks ago
    I rather like the roadhouse one, as that's really the kind of shirt that gets on here. Just pictures of things don't generally get printed. They have to have a gimmick. :)
    156 weeks ago
    Designs look great, but I would tone down the half-toning (no pun intended).
    156 weeks ago
    The Firefly and The Bronze shirts would be a buy for me. I'm not an artist, so take my comments with a big grain of salt.
    1. You may want to move Jayne away from Mal a little so Mal's gun doesn't get lost in the overlap of Jayne's shoe (I'm not sure how that would look with the color restrictions.) Some words/ catchy phrase might be good too - as someone else mentioned, plain pictures don't often get printed.

2. For The Bronze shirt, I'd make the top and bottom words bigger and use a different font so they're easier to see. (The bottom phrases are especially clever given The Bronze's history!)
    156 weeks ago
    I understand that in Firefly and Serenity, they were the "Brown coats" but all the firefly/serenity shirts sold on here are brown. any chance you could change the background color?
    156 weeks ago
    agswag14 said: I understand that in Firefly and Serenity, they were the "Brown coats" but all the firefly/serenity shirts sold on here are brown. any chance you could change the background color?

I thought about putting it on black, but with the amount of brown in the character costumes, it made more sense with the color limits to use brown. In that way I can eliminate the need for brown and allow myself another color.
    155 weeks ago
    I think you are doing well artistically speaking. I have seen shirts printed that you would put to shame strictly speaking about illustration quality. However, I think our designs (that is, my brother and I) that have been selected, and the majority of those on teefury, hold a concept that the design helps to perpetuate. For example, taking the first design, it is too simple in concept. People simply see characters they already know and love. While the illustration works, there is no underlying concept other than "firefly is awesome." Try to find something to make the design intriguing on it's own right and use your illustration to drive it home. When we started designing shirts a couple months back, we tried to identify trends in concepts first of all. Obviously, people love a good mash-up or clever logo (which you have a few of), but there are others that you can identify as well. Try going through the past selections and see what you see. Then, once you figure out what you want to do, that's when your illustration skills really count. Build a solid concept and then kick the smurf out of it! Keep up the good work!