Back to forum
rss 143 weeks ago
This came to me the other day while thinking up new designs. I prefer to make Doctor Who designs, but Avatar: The Last Airbender is my all time favorite cartoon, and I love Futurama as well. So I made this mash-up parody.

All hand drawn.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Should I submit it to Teefury? I submitted a couple designs already, but none of them got accepted :(

Does this one have a shot?

P.S. - That says "Bite My Shiny Metal Ass", Benders Famous Catchphrase, in Chinese with help of Google Translate :)
18Comments
    143 weeks ago
    If you fix the bender up and make the lines a bit more conform then it would have a very good chance.
    just my opinion, love the design
    143 weeks ago
    the translation is 100% legit, English to traditional Chinese and back again!

Photobucket
    143 weeks ago
    Awesome! Great idea, I love it!
    143 weeks ago
    I know this has been done to some degree, but never in this way. :). The composition is great, and I love the inclusion of Bender's catch phrase.

As for the lines, they are a bit wobbly. What if you tried to emulate a more asian calligraphic style with them?

With that said, I'd love to see this print.
    143 weeks ago
    snellby said: I know this has been done to some degree, but never in this way. :). The composition is great, and I love the inclusion of Bender's catch phrase.

As for the lines, they are a bit wobbly. What if you tried to emulate a more asian calligraphic style with them?

With that said, I'd love to see this print.

I kinda figured that I was definitely not going to be the first person to make a distinction between Bender from Futurama and "benders" from Avatar, but i'm super glad to see that no one has seen anything quite like this before.

I know some of benders lines are a bit dodgy, but in all honesty I have no idea how to use illustrator, so I hand drew this in Photoshop, and did a lot of erasing and editing to get decent lines. I'll work on them a little bit more to try and make them a little more perfect.
    Jackpot777 said: the translation is 100% legit, English to traditional Chinese and back again!

Photobucket

Woo thanks :D
    I was unsure whether or not to incorporate the Chinese text, just because I didnt want it to be translated awkwardly, so i'm happy to know Google got it right this time!

Anyways, i'm glad to see that everyone likes it so far! I was worried I was thinking "But...Avatar isn't as BIG as Futurama is, maybe people won't like it because it's a crossover of two very different genres"

But it's nice to know people like it :)
    I'll try working on the lines, and maybe even hand write in a calligraphy sort of style the lettering. We'll see :D
    143 weeks ago
    Yeah, I like the Chinese but the only problem is that nobody will know what it says except people who can read Chinese. So that part of the joke will be lost to a lot of people who just casually see someone wearing the shirt. On the other hand though, it could be sort of an in joke for anyone who does know.
    143 weeks ago
    Heck yes!! I would definitely buy this!!!
    143 weeks ago
    I think its great. One suggestion though is I would use either the grey or the gold for the text so its easier to read
    143 weeks ago
    Do you have the pen tool in Photoshop? That would help make the lines look cleaner. :) Illustrator is a great program to know if you're going to keep doing design. I used to prefer doing everything by hand, but trust me, Illustrator makes the lines look so much cleaner in so little time.
    143 weeks ago
    beware1984 said: I think its great. One suggestion though is I would use either the grey or the gold for the text so its easier to read

Hmm, it's an interesting idea, but I think the grey would make it too bland, and the gold would make it too flashy. I thought about making it red, but I don't want to go over the color limit (because i'll be submitting this to multiple sites) and I think the red might be a little too flashy also. Idk :(

Anyways
    I fixed up basically all the lines this afternoon, and changed the text to a calligraphy sort of font. It looks better in my opinion, so thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I'll try and post the updated version tomorrow, it's on my Mac (im currently on my PC) to let you all see the changes.

Hopefully the TeeFury staff sees this the same way that you guys do and are willing to accept it! I'll look into working with illustrator also.
    143 weeks ago
    I think the black font's just fine. :) If you added another color, it would be either unreadable, or to flashy.

As for illustrator, it's a difficult program at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's your best friend. :)
    143 weeks ago
    Here's the new updated and improved version!
    http://i54.tinypic.com/5xiphw.jpg
    143 weeks ago
    http://i54.tinypic.com/5xiphw.jpg
    143 weeks ago
    iAlexOnline said: http://i54.tinypic.com/5xiphw.jpg

I like the new font. :) And the lines do look cleaner.
    143 weeks ago
    I love it!
    143 weeks ago
    Not sure of the exact rules on here, am I allowed to post a link to another 24 hour shirt site where I need votes to get it printed?
    142 weeks ago
    Brilliant idea! As for posting a direct link, I don't think Teefury likes it, but you could always just spell out (with spaces or dashes) the name of the "other site" and let people look it up on Google.
    142 weeks ago
    It's currently on page 37 (but almost 36 if it gets another vote or two) on a site Q W E R T E E under the vote section :)

Your votes are appreciated