Back to forum
rss 157 weeks ago
I submitted this design several weeks ago now and heard nothing, so I'm thinking it hasn't made the cut :(

It's called "Viva Jaynestown" and I thought it would make a good T-shirt and just the sort of idea Teefury would go for. But alas, self praise is no recommendation.

I tried to keep the design as clean as I could: Thematically as close to the original Las Vegas sign as possible and without any excessive decoration eg. distressing, shading, background clutter etc. The design you see above differs only slightly from my submitted version, that had stars in the background above the sign (which probably added nothing to the idea, to be honest).

So I'd love to know what you guys think of the design.
Is it Shiny? or is there something missing? White Tigers perhaps or an Elvis impersonator?
19Comments
    157 weeks ago
    It is shiny in more ways than one! It does look like it could be missing something, but I'm not quite sure what. Depth? Maybe a character or object that ties it even more to the show?

Ooh! What if you had a big box of money, like the one he dropped in that episode? A big box of money would also work well with the Vegas theme.
    157 weeks ago
    it's cool and the idea isn't bad BUT ... it needs some more Firefly to it. right now all there is is the word Jaynestown ... dunno, maybe give it some of that Firefly wild west grunge (or ... mud) or a bit of Mandarin or something?'

157 weeks ago
    Give it a rugged / worn out look. Surfercat is right... It's a little too flashy and bright.

157 weeks ago
    I wish I knew more about Firefly so I could critique this better (don't worry. It's on my to watch list), but from what little I know, I agree with the others who say that it's too bright. :). Maybe more muted colors, and more of a reference to the show. The sign is really well rendered though. :)
    157 weeks ago
    Thanks for the feedback so far :)

I tried out the suggestions with the following results.

I've had a go at adding some money falling in the background, but this ended up looking like falling rice or ticker tape and cluttered or fussy too. Not at all what I was intending, even though the idea seemed a very good one, sometimes they don't work out like you saw it in your minds eye. Infact, before I tried it, I felt positive it would look good. :|

I've tried muting the colors and also distressing, this produced a somewhat more pleasing outcome.
    vivajaynestownteefurymuteworn.jpg
    Compared to the muted colors, the original looks retina burningly bright. This looks like a step in the right direction.

I have another idea too, but that requires quite a bit more drawing. So for now I shall keep it under my hat. :)

More suggestions are always welcome.
    157 weeks ago
    I really think that muting and distressing it helps a lot. :) Like stated before, I haven't watched much firefly, but my impression of it is kind of dark and grunged. I mi
    157 weeks ago
    The whole design for comparison.
    vivajaynestownteefury.jpg
    vivajaynestownteefurymutewornfull.jpg
    157 weeks ago
    1.1 is much better. Kep at it =)
    157 weeks ago
    When I get stuck on a mash up like this I try to create the world around it in my head and let that world inform the design. Try picturing the city this sign would inhabit and it might inform you about some nice touches that will add more "firefly" into it. Hope this helps
    157 weeks ago
    Seeing the whole distressed sign I think it might be a little too distressed. Maybe add some patches without it to kind of add some varying texture. :)
    157 weeks ago
    I definitely like the distress, much better! I do agree with snellby though that it may be a bit too distressed, it almost seems too uniform. It really does help bring it more into the Firefly world, not being quite so bright and flashy.
    157 weeks ago
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far :)

I've had two more tries at altering the design, one of them I feel a lot more comfortable with than the other.

The first is this...
    vivajaynestownteefurywrecked.jpg
    ..but I don't like it. It made me sad wrecking my original artwork which was so carefully drawn. :/

The second attempt is a slight revision of an earlier attempt which is my personal favorite thus far...
    vivajaynestownteefuryvintage.jpg
    ...I have made the colors a bit less muted. I omitted the distressing because all it was doing was making it look like a faux vintage shirt.

Here's an example of a faux vintage T shirt I made up on Redbubble.
    RBscratchedstar.jpg
    Which is a nice shirt, but not what I was aiming for with the Jaynestown idea.

The final idea (for now at least) is on hold but not forgotten. I have a number of other designs I wish to get completed first.

In the meantime, I'm always open to ideas and feedback. It's valuable and useful to me to know your opinions. Afterall, I'd never have muted down the colors without the suggestion and that was definitely a step in the right direction. :)

157 weeks ago
    I don't see this as it's not "mudder" like. Too flashy.
    157 weeks ago
    None of the pictures in your last post showed up, Chuffy. Is it just me? I want to see them!
    157 weeks ago
    Nevermind, it was me. I'm sorry for double posting again.
    157 weeks ago
    Spotlighter said: I don't see this as it's not "mudder" like. Too flashy.

Agreed. Jaynestown isn't flashy. It's gritty, dirty, worn out, etc. Huge fan of the idea... just needs to feel more.. well.. "Mudder". lol
    157 weeks ago
    drwyrick said:
    Spotlighter said: I don't see this as it's not "mudder" like. Too flashy.

Agreed. Jaynestown isn't flashy. It's gritty, dirty, worn out, etc. Huge fan of the idea... just needs to feel more.. well.. "Mudder". lol
    I completely agree. The idea should be a more beaten down sign, you can keep the text as that's what makes it work, but try a distraught and dirty, faded and possibly even broken sign. As if it had been left out in the sun on some sort of...mud mining colony or something...for years!
    157 weeks ago
    Agreed. Canton is a factory settlement on Higgins' Moon. It's main export is mud. It's populated by "mudders", mud farmers, and they're dirt poor (pardon the pun).

Scuff it up. I'll not be adding a grunge texture to my Alliance Unification Day design, because that's the image the Core Worlds like to promote. People in Canton wouldn't be seen dead without dirt under their nails!
    157 weeks ago
    Ooh! Just had an idea. Instead of ONE star (as seen in the original Vegas sign), how about the big star you have and four smaller suns around it to mirror the Firefly 'verse!

34 Tauri A was discovered in 2020, along with four other stars and fourteen gas giants nearby, located in the southeast quadrant of the constellation of Taurus, some 40 light-years from the solar system. While a vastly different star in size, magnitude, and temperature from the sun, projections indicate that the system could support life.

In the mid-21st century, after the failure of terraforming on Venus, Mars, and the Moon due to lack of natural resources, the Alliance is formed with its initial task of establishing a colony program to travel to this new star system.

In the 2200's, robotic terraforming crews arrived in the system. The two main planets, Londinium and Sihnon were terraformed first, and colonization began. Shortly thereafter, many of the remaining planets and large moons were terraformed to support terrestrial life. After successful tests on the gas giant Burnham, the two brown dwarfs in the system were helioformed into artificial protostars in the mid-2200's to enable their larger moons to support life.

VerseMap-front.jpg