Back to forum
rss 143 weeks ago
Was stoked a few days ago, when I thought you were offering 3XL in both men's and women's shirt, but then realized that the option was to buy 3 shirts in size XL! I was so looking forward to finally having a teefury shirt in a woman's cut that fits me.

Love the shirts here, want to support the artists, but I'm larger woman, and don't like being relegated to the men's cut. There are loads of women who want to be "girly," but wear shirts beyond XL!

If 2x men can be entitled to nice $10.00 t-shirts, why can't the privilege be extended to 2x women?

Also I do know of men who are beyond a 2x who would like tee fury shirts as well. How about extending women's sizes $10.00 out to 2X as you do men's. And then extend sizes for both men's and women's cuts out to 5X, and charge $12.00 instead of $10.00 for those sizes?

45Comments
    143 weeks ago
    Totally agreed! TeeFury, show some love for those of us that have more to love!
    143 weeks ago
    Dear TeeFury - please oh please oh PLEASE make women's shirts come in larger sizes! There are a great many geek-fats who would love to parade around in your delightful shirts and actually have them FIT! Like me!
    Thanks,
    Ann
    143 weeks ago
    If you really like the shirts, lose the weight. It's what I did and I couldn't be happier. Anyways, it probably doesn't make business sense to offer such large shirts (or that many sizes/fits) for $10.
    143 weeks ago
    They use American Apparel as blanks. Those are the only sizes that shirt is made in, so they'd have to source a new supplier, new contracts, and possibly have to narrow the color choices that can be used, because larger tees usually only come in a few colors. Of course, it could be done, but they have probably tried to determine if all the work would be worth the incremental sales and decided it wasn't. Hopefully at some point we will see some larger sizes, but I am guessing it won't be any time soon.

It smurfs, I know - I have only just stepped back into misses sizes from plus sizes this year, we tend to get the shaft on clothing in bigger sizes everywhere - not just tshirts. Good luck with the campaign! :)
    143 weeks ago
    First of all, it doesn't seem as though American Apparel t-shirts are actually the ones that are used as blanks for these designs. Obviously I don't know for sure, since this website doesn't make t-shirts that come in my size, but when I look at the size charts for American Apparel and Teefury, they're sized completely differently. Even in the sizes that they do carry, American Apparel and Teefury don't line up in their measurements. So if the tag on the t-shirts says American Apparel when you purchase them, something is off with the sizing in one place or another.

Secondly, tactacfox, I don't know where you come off policing people's bodies. If you don't need a t-shirt in an extended size, that's great for you. But guess what? All people are entitled to buy clothing. These designs aren't just for people who fall within a certain size range. Maybe we don't want to lose weight. We certainly don't need you offering your so-called "advice" on how we should look or behave. It's clear that you're just here to police and shame, so please do us all a favor and take your terrible attitude elsewhere.

Finally, I really don't see what Teefury would stand to lose by offering extended sizes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but one benefit of this type of system seems to be that there isn't a surplus. You take orders and manufacture the shirts based on who has purchased them in a set period of time. A lot of clothing stores seem to claim their excuse (and yes, it's an excuse) for not carrying extended sizes in their apparel is that the cost to stock them outweighs the sales of the item. Conceivably, it seems like websites like this one don't stand to lose a darn thing in making larger sizes available. Either people purchase or they don't, so either they make them or they don't.

In the end it's very simple. A lot of people would pay for extended sizes, and the cost to purchase larger shirts to print on is truly nowhere near what people make it out to be. Simply offer the shirts for one or two dollars more as many people do if you really need to recover the costs.
    143 weeks ago
    I don't like the idea of paying more money for something that should be standard (why should people who wear plus sizes be marginalized in comparison to those who don't?), but I'm willing to do it for now. I'm tired of feeling unfeminine in a standard mens' styled t-shirt. If I wear a t-shirt, I always alter it to cut out the neck, sleeves and squared off bottom. It's the only way I feel slightly feminine in a T. I know some plus size people can fit in American Apparel women's Ts and tops, but I can't. And when I e-mailed the company, asking if they were ever going to make women's plus sizes, they suggested that I "just buy men's shirts" to fit me. Yeah, thanks, AA. *eyeroll*
    143 weeks ago
    Oh PLEASE yes! I love the artwork, and I'd love to support your business - and I'm so tired of feeling that you don't love me or all the other girls like me. My flatmate buys a lot of your shirts, and I've seen so many designs I would have bought in a second. Men's shirts just look wrong on me, so that's never going to be a solution. You're such an innovative site: I'm sure you can make this happen.
    143 weeks ago
    Well, tactacfox remember this thread when you end up like 90% percent of dieters, who eventually fall off the wagon and gain the weight back!

"Just go on a diet," is easier said than done, and fails to take into consideration all kind of other reasons people have for being overweight.
    143 weeks ago
    I second this motion! I would love to wear interesting shirts without them making me look like a linebacker or come down to my knees because I have to buy a men's shirt.
    143 weeks ago
    Shirts4All said: Well, tactacfox remember this thread when you end up like 90% percent of dieters, who eventually fall off the wagon and gain the weight back!

"Just go on a diet," is easier said than done, and fails to take into consideration all kind of other reasons people have for being overweight.

I didn't mean to come off as being rude. I was just pointing out one of the facts of life. I came to this site a few years back, wanting to buy the shirts they had, but being too large to fit in them. Fast forward to the beginning of this year and I decided that I was tired of being so overweight. 90lbs later and one of the best benefits is having many more clothing choices.

And thanks for the warning, but my progress is attributed to much more than dieting.
    143 weeks ago
    A ladies 2XL would be great! Some women are more well endowed than others and don't like to wear skin tight clothes, so the men's sizes are the only options are the only options. A more fitted, but not super tight option would be fabulous!

Oh, and people who say "just lose weight" are ignorant. There are numerous reasons why that's not possible for some folks...disease, side effects from medications, physical limitations, etc.
    143 weeks ago
    I'd love to have an XS size too!!! I'm a tiny woman and the s size for women is way to big for me...
    143 weeks ago
    I agree, more size options would be fantastic. I bought a shirt in a mens size so that it would fit my chest but it's insanely baggy and ridiculous looking on. It's so depressing because I absolutely love a lot of these designs but I don't want to have another baggy unflattering shirt.
    143 weeks ago
    thelizzy said: Totally agreed! TeeFury, show some love for those of us that have more to love!

I now have Led Zeppelin's Gotta whole lotta love playing back in my head. :)
    143 weeks ago
    @tralfamadore American Apparel makes a line of wholesale tees that are slightly different than the fashion tees that are sold in the stores. The cost for plus size blanks is sometimes 25%-50% more, depending on shirt brand. PA offers regular tees for say $3.25, plus sizes just to $5.50 blank. I don't know of any supplier that offers fashion tees in plus sizes - not AA, not Tultex, not Alternative etc etc usually you only see the big hanes-type tees only after a certain size.

Also, frankly the process isn't quite as simple as printing 20 shirts bc 20 shirts were ordered. You have to consider the fact that a # of shirts are going to have misprints, or don't come out right, or a section blanks were bad, so they need to order a certain X over the qty ordered. We don't know other variables about their business either, for example there might be a certain # of blanks they are required to order in order to keep their pricing. Then of course, there is the issue if they change to/find a plus size supplier will they limit the shirt color options to the 5 colors plus size shirts come in? Then, if a design is sized to be able to fit a small fashion t-shirt, what does that look like on a 5X Hanes tee? They would either have to recut screens for plus sizes and do a whole different run, or the larger tees have a teeny design in the middle of the shirt. Not a great look.

My point is just that there are lots of variables and things to consider - esp for this sort of business. I can only assume they have researched it and determined its not worth it to offer the larger sizes, or that they are working on it LOL. But either way, its not just a matter of buying larger shirts.
    143 weeks ago
    Actually, today alone I have found a number of other sites that offer extended sizes. A few of them print on Gildan t-shirts up to 5X, and a number print on Tultex which is known for running far more true-to-size than American Apparel. Discounting the terrible reputation American Apparel has in their politics and policies, their shirts are intentionally sized to be smaller than what is generally known as the "standard" for each size. Any number of websites offering t-shirts from AA warn customers to order larger, because the t-shirts are cut to fit even smaller than their sizing might suggest.

Of course there are other factors that come into play when determining what selections should and could be available to the general public, but I admire TeeFury very much for the ingenuity and creative thinking behind their business. I'm certainly no economics major, but I think the first step in getting t-shirts printed in extended sizes -- whether those sizes be larger or smaller -- is showing a business that it would meet the needs of a consumer base that is being neglected by most other businesses out in the market. Ultimately TeeFury will decide whether it's worth it to them to pursue it or not, but I think it's clear to see that they would have a lot of people interested and would probably see a good hike in sales and a recovery of initial costs over time.
    143 weeks ago
    Check out ericinabington's thread about losing weight to be able to buy shirts.....right HERE

Its pretty smuuuuuurf inspirational. I wouldn't call myself a big guy but when he started it made me think about (and finally force myself to) drop some excess kgs....hell I've even considered buying a medium of late but I think that will always be a little wishful thinking :)

And yeah I know its A LOT easier said than done, but its might provide some motivation seeing a member of the community accomplish so much.
    143 weeks ago
    This thread isn't about weight loss and body policing. If the extent of your commentary is going to focus around telling other people what they should do with their bodies, I think you're missing the point.
    143 weeks ago
    Hey man if you thought I was telling you what you should be doing my bad....it wasn't my intention.

I just thought people would be interested in a story thats been going on in Teefury for a while now that was born from the very topic of this thread. Relevant?? I'd say so.

But hey I'm sorry if you felt like I was attacking you or being insensitive. We're all family here.
    143 weeks ago
    tactacfox said: If you really like the shirts, lose the weight. It's what I did and I couldn't be happier. Anyways, it probably doesn't make business sense to offer such large shirts (or that many sizes/fits) for $10.

Wow, tactacfox - you're tactless.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, TeeFury:

1) These shirts are printed on-demand. There is no financial risk in carrying larger sizes when there's no stock required to keep.

2) The vast majority of TeeFury shirts carry pop-art that appeals to the comic, gamer, young male urban crowd. Go to a Comic-Convention and tell me what the average size of an attendee is. You guys are shooting yourselves in the foot by ignoring your target demographic.
    143 weeks ago
    Wow. That's really quite a putdown to the "geek" community, sevenbates. I'm involved in the LAN scene where our community overlaps heavily with ComicCon's demographic. To say that the average gamer/pop-culture fan/comic nerd is larger than anybody else is flat out wrong. When I go to these 250+ man LAN parties, the average gamer is pretty average in size. Some are very fat and some are rail-thin (raiding in WoW doesn't leave much time for eating). Most guys and gals are...dare I say...normal? Geek culture has gone mainstream, thus, you can no longer pigeonhole us into the unhealthy basement dweller stereotype.

And for the record, what's so offensive about suggesting that somebody lose weight if they want to fit into shirts too small for them? If you are truly passionate about the designs presented here on TeeFury, stop waiting around for somebody to cater to you and take some initiative. This topic has been brought up a few times since I've been here and I don't think those discussions have changed anything. If TeeFury sees value in printing larger shirts, good for them. If not? Time to make some changes, people.
    143 weeks ago
    sevenbates said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, TeeFury:

1) These shirts are printed on-demand. There is no financial risk in carrying larger sizes when there's no stock required to keep.

2) The vast majority of TeeFury shirts carry pop-art that appeals to the comic, gamer, young male urban crowd. Go to a Comic-Convention and tell me what the average size of an attendee is. You guys are shooting yourselves in the foot by ignoring your target demographic.

Hey, don't dump your body issues onto the rest of us. Jeez, mayby it is you who is the one that is lacking in tact
    143 weeks ago
    @tralfamadore you obvously missed the part of me saying FASHION tees don't come in extended sizes, and the whole part about recutting the screens to fit the different type of shirt. Sure, you can get a PA tee in up to 14X from Sanmar...that doesn't mean it fits into the business model. Oh, Tultex sizes are no different than AA btw, and the shirts are MUCH thinner.

Plus size shirts would probably have to be $5-$7 more expensive. Like I said, if its worth it, they will do it. If not, they won't. A quick internet search on tshirt sizes doesn't exactly give you the whole picture of a screenprinting business.
    143 weeks ago
    Oh, and I would like to add, this thread doesn't need any "fat shaming". That's just childish and wasn't the point. If you want to chat about weight loss, there is another thread for that. This is a discussion on plus size clothing, not why one shouldn't be plus sized.
    143 weeks ago
    Tactacfox, you make a lot of sense. I find a lot of cute tops don't fit my F-cup girls, so clearly I need to go get myself a breast reduction. If clothes don't fit your body, it's not the clothes' fault! We must mold ourselves to conform at any cost.

Or, you know, I could just buy a different shirt. I actually do fit into the shirts here, but I don't think I care to spend my money where my fatter friends are expected to settle for a boxy men's tee.
  • Load More Comments