Back to forum
image
rss 143 weeks ago
Hello. I'm new to this site, and still trying to figure everything out.
But, I made this quick sketch of a do-it-yourself dalek, made from items commonly seen around such as: A road construction barrel, a colander, a flashlight, whisk, plunger, and lots of tape. Thought about adding tennis balls cut in half to the bottom portion.



Any Suggestions? Like? Hate? Am I doing this right? How did I get here, I am not good with computer.
24Comments
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Ha I love it! Build your own Dalek :) Very creative! Makes me think of the Mystery Science Theater bots, as they're made out of everyday objects too. Great concept!
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Surfercat35 said: Ha I love it! Build your own Dalek :) Very creative! Makes me think of the Mystery Science Theater bots, as they're made out of everyday objects too. Great concept!


    Funny that you should mention MST3K, because I've been watching that show non-stop, recently. I hadn't made the connection between this design, and the bots, but you're right. It probably had something to do with this.

    I'm kind of thinking of a MST3K design right now.
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Love it!
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Like the idea. :)
    It makes me think of something Glennz would do. The idea drawn in a similar style would be pretty good.
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    I love this idea! Wonderful concept indeed!
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    not to defecate on anyone's parade, but a kinda(!) similar idea by an artist named "Bamboota" is right now the highest voted shirt design on some other shirt site ... just a heads up, after what happened to Swiss Army Shark this week I thought you better double check before you actually start fleshing things out
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    kgullholmen said: not to defecate on anyone's parade, but a kinda(!) similar idea by an artist named "Bamboota" is right now the highest voted shirt design on some other shirt site ... just a heads up, after what happened to Swiss Army Shark this week I thought you better double check before you actually start fleshing things out


    I went and looked up Bamboota's design, and if I found the correct one, I believe that mine is different enough to not be subject to question. Like with the peanuts doctor who MashedPotato, it's an idea that has been done countless times before in many different forms. My home-made Dalek is more fleshed out than Bamboota's, so I'm hoping that it won't garner such controversy.

    Opinions? I honestly hadn't seen the other design before.
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Chuffy said: Like the idea. :)

    It makes me think of something Glennz would do. The idea drawn in a similar style would be pretty good.


    I tried out the style you mentioned above, and I think it turned out alright. I've never attempted coloring like that before, so opinions please? Is the dark blue too light? Any other suggestions for how to make it not look so sad floating in the middle of the canvas all alone?

    tumblr_loifd9hNUt1qb42vro1_500.jpg
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    snellby said:
    Chuffy said: Like the idea. :)


    It makes me think of something Glennz would do. The idea drawn in a similar style would be pretty good.



    I tried out the style you mentioned above, and I think it turned out alright. I've never attempted coloring like that before, so opinions please? Is the dark blue too light? Any other suggestions for how to make it not look so sad floating in the middle of the canvas all alone?

    tumblr_loifd9hNUt1qb42vro1_500.jpg


    More or less perfect at the first try!

    As for the background, I not sure what to suggest. Minimal detail like a an oval shadow OR a background that suggests the diy dalek is being built in a kitchen, shed or workshop, OR perhaps just standing next to the daleks old enemy, a flight of stairs* looking dejected.

    * yes Who fans, I know daleks can fly
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Chuffy said:
    More or less perfect at the first try!


    As for the background, I not sure what to suggest. Minimal detail like a an oval shadow OR a background that suggests the diy dalek is being built in a kitchen, shed or workshop, OR perhaps just standing next to the daleks old enemy, a flight of stairs* looking dejected.


    * yes Who fans, I know daleks can fly


    Thank you so much for suggesting the style. :D As for the background, I might just go with an oval shadow at this point, but maybe if I sleep on it I'll feel more productive tomorrow.

    Also, I'm pretty new to the site, and I've never submitted before. Is there a certain way to do it? I've read the FAQ but I still feel like I'm going to do it wrong. Does the shirt have to be placed on a blank tee to show placement, or is it enough to submit the image?
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    kgullholmen said: not to defecate on anyone's parade, but a kinda(!) similar idea by an artist named "Bamboota" is right now the highest voted shirt design on some other shirt site ... just a heads up, after what happened to Swiss Army Shark this week I thought you better double check before you actually start fleshing things out


    If you mean the Salt Shaker plus Whisk plus Plunger design, he's not the first person to notice the similarity between house hold items and the BBCs low cost production design on Doctor Who. People have been saying it for the last 30 years or so. I mean, is there anybody who doesn't think sink plunger when they see a Dalek waving it's 'limbs' about.

    Also the design you refer to is more a mathematic expression.
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Looks great! I think the dark blue might be a tiny bit too light, like you said, I wouldn't have seen the holes in the colander without looking closely. I agree with Chuffy that it could use some minimal background like an oval or simple workbench or something like that.
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    snellby said:
    Thank you so much for suggesting the style. :D As for the background, I might just go with an oval shadow at this point, but maybe if I sleep on it I'll feel more productive tomorrow.


    Also, I'm pretty new to the site, and I've never submitted before. Is there a certain way to do it? I've read the FAQ but I still feel like I'm going to do it wrong. Does the shirt have to be placed on a blank tee to show placement, or is it enough to submit the image?


    I'm glad you liked the design suggestion. I like to vary my art style but Glennz style is one I have a particular fondness for and it translates well to limited palette designs like T-shirts. :)

    When you're ready, submit the design as a 640 wide by 800 high jpg image on the submit page, (link at top of page). No need to add the design to a t-shirt, the teefury staff see shirts all day, they want to see your art ;)
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Thank you all so much. You've really been a very big help . :) Especially Chuffy. Hopefully I'll get up the courage to submit this soon.

    Alright, I darkened up the darker blue, and added a oval type thing. Does it look any better now? (I need just one more color. Gah).

    tumblr_loiijiIEMq1qb42vro1_500.jpg

  • image
    143 weeks ago
    snellby said: (I need just one more color. Gah).



    Try Halftoning :)
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Oh, and thru color, eg the background color
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Thanks Chuffy. c: I used some thru color just to make the bottom of the barrel stand out more.
    Here's the final. I submitted it this morning.

    tumblr_lojg3bvXh71qb42vro1_500.jpg
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Fingers crossed, good luck.
    If this gets rejected, you can totally blame me too ;)
    With art this good you're gonna come up with a winner sooner or later. Probably time to start on the next idea, 2-4 weeks is a long time to wait.
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Perfect! Good luck! I'm looking forward to this one, hope it gets printed! :)
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Thank you to everyone for the input. C:

    The quality of my art varies a lot (I still can't draw humans for the life of me), but I'm going to keep at it. As for other designs, If I have time tonight, I might sketch up a MST3K design I've been thinking about for a few days. c:

    Now...for the wait.
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    kinda late to the game on this, but it turned out really cute! Goodluck!

    (I looked up the shirt by the other artist too, and you're right, they're nothing alike.)
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    Nice! I would buy it.
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    seeing the fleshed out version I think it's definitely different enough to not garner madness (although some may still wah-wah about it)

    nice jorb
  • image
    143 weeks ago
    beware1984 said: seeing the fleshed out version I think it's definitely different enough to not garner madness (although some may still wah-wah about it)


    nice jorb


    I think that it's definitely different enough. The two designs only have in common the plunger and the whisk, which, if you look at a Dalek, is a pretty obvious thing to come up with

    Also, if jorb wasn't a typo, I commend you :)


Back to Top