Back to forum
rss 144 weeks ago
So while discussing designs with some friends a mash up of FIFA and Quidditch came up, I looked up some FIFA world cup logos and then research Quidditch, the Quidditch World Cup in Harry Potter takes place in the UK in 1994 so I found the FIFA World Cup logo from the same year and altered it to fit Quidditch, someone raised the issue that it looked more like a rip off then was acceptable, personally I don't think so but I would be interested in hearing what everyone else has to say.

For anyone who's curious here's a link to the original FIFA design

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=84/index.html

So here's my first go....
Photobucket

Someone suggested getting rid of the match up and I'm still on the fence about that one so here's the design without the match up on the bottom

Photobucket

6Comments
    144 weeks ago
    This is seriously the third thread for this design? why? anyone that's going to comment on it already has.
    144 weeks ago
    It's the second thread for this design but I've sent teefury a message asking them to delete the other one due to the argument that occurred today so that the actual design can be focus on
    144 weeks ago
    beware1984 said: This is seriously the third thread for this design? why? anyone that's going to comment on it already has.

Seconded. And here's the change that's all important...

so I found the FIFA World Cup logo from the same year and altered it to fit Quidditch, someone raised the issue that it looked more like a rip off then was acceptable, personally I don't think so but I would be interested in hearing what everyone else has to say

If it were just you buying the t-shirt, getting it made at a local screen printer's for $20, then what other people thought wouldn't matter. But that's the polar opposite from TeeFury's purpose. You want others to pay you $1 for the privelege of having someone else print this, with the cachet of saying you had one of 'your' designs made by the website.

This is a link about plagiarism by an artist, courtesy of dmacias in another thread (thanks, dmacias). You'll notice phrases used like "it displays none of the line, modeling and other idiosyncrasies that reveal an artist’s unique personal style", "[the original artist] was not credited or acknowledged by [the copier] in any way", and so on. But the important part is this.

"Plagiarism is the deliberate passing off of someone else’s work as your own, and {the copier] may be unfamiliar with the term - but not the act. This article is not about the innocent absorption of visual ideas that later materialize unconsciously in an artist’s work, we do after all live in a maelstrom of images and we can’t help but be affected by them. Nor am I referring to an artist’s direct influences - which artist can claim not to have been inspired by techniques or styles employed by others? What I am concerned with is the brazen, intentional copying of already existing artworks created by others - sometimes duplicating the originals without alteration - and then deceiving people by pawning off the counterfeit works as original creations."

obey_yellowstone.gif

Copy on the left, original on the right.

In pointing out how a UK sporting event wouldn't have a logo based on the Stars And Stripes, and how other nations also base their logos on their national identities (so you should look into merging the realms of Potter with perhaps a Three Lions / Football's Coming Home mentality), I received a lot of vitriol and some free internet counseling.

Which, quite frankly, is insulting to anyone with either a drop of British blood in them. Check out my profile. Note the British influences. You're rubbing the old "51st State" in the noses of Britain, imposing the worst of how people see America onto it (with the accompanying displays of ignorance in your subject matter, abusiveness followed by "why are you picking on me?" displays of passive aggressiveness, and an unwillingness in the face of criticism to hear how to improve on your idea).

So let's focus on the design. Because there's the thing. It's an original idea, the idea is 100% original, and it's all yours.

quidditch_world_cup_blue_poster-p228775111405350910891kt_400.jpg

OK, but original for a t-shirt, and original as a specific year. This is the level of t-shirts out there for a Quidditch World Cup logo right now.

huhhsm.jpg

Right now, it's horrible out there. You could clean up. Because it's a freaking great idea. A Quidditch World Cup logo, which actually takes the year of the event from the books into consideration. Puts it into the nation it took place. So imagine Ron's pride at being such a big Krum fan and having the QWC in HIS country. Think of the excitement, seeing the world's best go head to head, and the visiting fans will be visiting Diagon Alley to do some shopping, and maybe drinking good old butterbeer in Hogsmeade.

So don't borrow someone else's idea from another country, down to the dots under the text, and call it a tweak or a reworking. It's plagiarism. But it could be so much more. And you're the one that can do that.

Here's an Irish Quidditch logo made by someone else.

L_PINTRADING_Souvenirs_Pins_HarryPotter_Souvenirs_IrelandQuidditchWorldCupPin_1230853.JPG

The Emerald green. The shamrock. All made into something that identifies both the country and the sport.

This 1994 Quidditch World Cup is happening in a nation where the English Patron Saint is Saint George, a dragon slayer. The emblem of Wales IS a dragon. The Scottish Royal Coat of Arms has a lion that has barbs on its tail. It's the nation of Merlin, of magic.

Put yourself there. Pull up some old Pink Floyd, or listen to some Arctic Monkeys. Or better yet, the actual band that performed in a Harry Potter film: Pulp. Get a feel for it. And then give us the best World Cup 94 logo the International Quidditch Association would approve.

Sound fair?
    144 weeks ago
    Photobucket
    144 weeks ago
    I like the original much better. Just my opinion!
    144 weeks ago
    Oh YES! Union Flag showing location, and it's a commemorative shirt sold after the final game because it has the finalists on it (just like when people come out of a concert, and there are people selling memorabilia for the gig you've just seen). Being magic, the shirts changed to say who the finalists were ...and the sellers added the Death Eaters "I survived" over the flag because of the events that day.

As a HP fan, two huge thumbs way up for this.