93Comments
    144 weeks ago
    Haha, I love this!
    144 weeks ago
    I LOVE THIS. I'll be waiting for it =)
    144 weeks ago
    ZOMG yes!
    144 weeks ago
    Yeah its great, and interestingly you are a pretty good artist which makes all the more sad you had to go and steal someone elses ideas and design! http://sharksplode.com/the-doctor-is-in/
    144 weeks ago
    Weird, looks almost exactly like another shirt out there.

http://sharksplode.com/the-doctor-is-in/

144 weeks ago
    Thank you, pkryder. This design is a blatant rip off of Joel Watson's artwork. This is really unfortunate.
    144 weeks ago
    way to steal Joel Watson's idea, loser.
    144 weeks ago
    Folks, I contacted Joel about this shirt, and he has already tried to contact teefury. It might help if you also sent a note to the teefury people ([email protected]) voicing your concerns. Try to keep your tone civil, yes?

144 weeks ago
    Another post to say this design was stolen and should not be put on sale. Have emailed [email protected] also.
    144 weeks ago
    how about we hear from SAS first before we fire up the torches and pitch forks?
    144 weeks ago
    No pitchforks here. Just concern for the welfare of an artist I hold in high esteem.
    144 weeks ago
    Chiming in with a blatant rip-off comment. Really? You couldn't come up with something original?
    144 weeks ago
    I really don't think there's nearly enough similarity between the two designs to cry foul. They're the same mash-up concept, but it's definitely something that two people could come up with independently, and the vast difference in execution points to that explanation, as far as I'm concerned.
    144 weeks ago
    SAS has an amazing record of designing awesome shirts for this site. I would not be so quick to condemn him. Considering the subject matter, completely plausible for two or more people to come up with that idea. Who's to say that Joel Watson didn't "steal" the idea from this?

http://www.nerdist.com/2011/04/its-a-doctor-who-parody-charlie-brown/

or vice versa. Just because somebody comes up with an idea, that does not give them exclusivity on the creative works which come as a result of said idea. Whatever the case is, this design is different enough to warrant it being printed. It's far from a blatant rip-off.
    144 weeks ago
    Ahhh I assumed the original artist submitted it.....I even went to hinjix to see if he mentioned it on the site. Oh that just bites.
    144 weeks ago
    whoa keep calm everyone, made this while ago and never once saw any of those mentioned above

Using Schulz's classic Psychiatrist Lucy as the concept, although it's obvious others have had the same idea, probably because great minds think alike ;), I assure you it is not a "rip", and I hand drew the entire piece.
    144 weeks ago
    If it were simply a mash-up of Peanuts/Doctor Who then perhaps it would be feasible. In fact if it were a similar design created at roughly the same design (as happened with 'Ape Lad' and Joel see here. Whilst it is a 'classic' image and within reason to see a parallel thought-process occurring, the most cursory of image searches shows this has been done before. Even if you have the idea independently, most people would check if someone has already done it.

That's with a stretched benefit of the doubt. But as you say, let's see what swissarmyshark says.
    144 weeks ago
    tactacfox said: Who's to say that Joel Watson didn't "steal" the idea from this?

the nerdist post is from April 15, 2011
    Joel's post is from April 7, 2011 not to mention the preview images he showed (including the live podcast) beforehand.
    whether or not the similarities are intentional or not is really moot. Joel has asked it be removed and Teefury has removed things under flimsier circumstances
    144 weeks ago
    tactacfox said: Who's to say that Joel Watson didn't "steal" the idea from this?

the nerdist post is from April 15, 2011
    Joel's post is from April 7, 2011 not to mention the preview images he showed (including the live podcast) beforehand.
    whether or not the similarities are intentional or not is really moot. Joel has asked it be removed and Teefury has removed things under flimsier circumstances
    144 weeks ago
    I will concede the "blatant rip off" thing where the art is concerned, but I have to agree with CaptainCape. The idea may have struck independently, but it is absolutely the artist's responsibility to check originality. Watson's design has been floating around the internet since early April, and he even says he "scoured the Internet, positive that someone had already done this," and only proceeded to publish after he was sure that he wouldn't be stepping on any toes. Regardless of any of that, though, now that these concerns have been brought to light, I believe it would be irresponsible of teefury to go ahead and print this shirt.
    144 weeks ago
    Received an email from Teefury saying they are aware and are investigating. I guess we'd best step back and let the three parties sort it out.
    144 weeks ago
    I really don't see anything similar about the two images besides concept. Sas's is much closer to the original peanuts comic strip, didn't make any reference to the tardis except color, and has different text. Any other similarities (position of body, text style etc) could easily occur while trying to mimic the peanuts comic, completely independent of whether one artist had seen the others representation. I think they are different enough for sure (I could be wrong cuz I've only seen a few episodes but aren't they different doctors also). What happened to innocent until proven guilty...
    144 weeks ago
    http://www.neatorama.com/neatogeek/2010/08/05/doctor-whopeanuts-MashedPotato/

Edit: Click here for the link http://ow.ly/5CWiR
    144 weeks ago
    This why I like to google search concepts before I begin working

I can see a lot of FB page hate this Saturday...sorry SAS

sales should be great though :D
    144 weeks ago
    GriffinFire said: I really don't think there's nearly enough similarity between the two designs to cry foul. They're the same mash-up concept, but it's definitely something that two people could come up with independently, and the vast difference in execution points to that explanation, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree here. While all three designs are mash-ups of Doctor Who and Peanuts, the new design is a more of a rip-off of the original Charles Schultz art than it is of Joel Watson's concept. Both designs from April put a Peanuts spin on a Doctor Who concept. I'm sure plenty of fans of the Doctor have had similar ideas, but haven't sold a shirt. If this new design had a Tardis-based stand with just a different Doctor then Joel would have a better case. If I had a design with Captain Kirk in the Millennium Falcon and you a different Star Wars-Star Trek pilot-starship combo that might be stealing my idea, but it's not stealing my artwork. Heck, my art would be so bad that you could easily do much better.

My opinion is that in this case the original Joel Watson art is so much better that if it came before or after, it deserves to be on a shirt. With this new design, I would feel bad for anyone who purchased it for missing out on Joel's design and for Joel, for losing out on business to a more visible company with an inferior product. Nevertheless, TeeFury can do whatever they want and Joel has no right to stop them.
  • Load More Comments