Back to forum
rss 144 weeks ago
Fury's very 1st Venture Bros inspired design!

Hench - July 12th

Hench
17Comments
    144 weeks ago
    As much as I like this design I've only seen a few episodes, so this isn't really for me. They need to publish your Doctor Horrible design. I'd buy that in an instant.
    144 weeks ago
    you have until Tuesday to watch more episodes...you be glad you did
    144 weeks ago
    Oh, intercourse-related expletive yes! Is it Tuesday yet? And Ghostman, check out a few eps.
    144 weeks ago
    ZOMG ! 21 !
    I'll gladly pay you tuesday for this awesome shirt today.
    144 weeks ago
    That's some lovely artwork. Congrats on getting another shirt published.
    144 weeks ago
    smuuuuuurf, as great as this is I was hoping it'd be your Spaceship design... =/
    144 weeks ago
    Lol, yeah I was hoping for a Game of Thrones design, lol. Winter has so much awesome work.
    144 weeks ago
    English fails me. Mostly because of how good it is, but partly because of the word filter. So here's what I want to say, in Mandarin!!

你是一個宏偉的私生子。
    144 weeks ago
    WinterArtwork said: Fury's very 1st Venture Bros inspired design!

I think a case could be made for "Twister Champion" being inspired by the Venture Brothers. He's obviously wearing Reed Richard's uniform, but his hair is more Professor Impossible than Mr. Fantastic. In fact I thought it was Professor Impossible before I noticed the outfit. Regardless, more Venture Bros. designs never hurt anybody, and the people (i.e. myself) demand more!

WinterArtwork said: you have until Tuesday to watch more episodes...you be glad you did

I second that motion. It's a phenomenal show.
    144 weeks ago
    Your a machine, man! Congrats on yet another print (and my predicted rethroning as top seller)
    144 weeks ago
    I kinda wish this was on a dark shirt.

BUT I've still put a deposit down for this shirt.
    144 weeks ago
    I know NOTHING about this show, but this makes me want to find out what it's all about so I can buy the tee. Either that or just tell people I just liked the design!
    "Hey, what's Hench?"
    "I don't know, I just like the design. Now beat it!"
    144 weeks ago
    dmacias said: I know NOTHING about this show, but this makes me want to find out what it's all about so I can buy the tee. Either that or just tell people I just liked the design!

"Hey, what's Hench?"

The show is kind of like a philosophical treatise on the more human aspects of superhero/superscientist/supervillian relationships. (That sounds a bit high brow, but that's the best that I can characterize it as.) As a result, one of the recurring themes of the show is the sort of existential crisis that faces most people at some point in time, only instead of trying to deal with how they get up and put on a three-piece suit and go to the office and sell insurance to people all day, they come to question how they came to dress in spandex and build/destroy death rays, etc. It's sort of an added layer of characterization that is lacking in a lot of superhero yarns.

As far as the design in question, it appears, as far as I can tell, that the head of the henchman in question is that of No. 1 (or the henchman formerly known as No. 21.) At the end of the third season, his bromance with Henchman No. 24 ended when No. 24 was killed in a massive bloodbath in the season finale. (The story arc that comprised the final three episodes of that season, "The Orb", is the highlight of the show, in my opinion.) In the season following that, No. 21 transformed himself into a cultured and chiseled killing machine and took command of the Monarch's henchmen, donning the title No. 1. Most of his persona in the fourth season is characterized by his coming to terms with No. 24's death and deciphering what it "means" to "be" a henchman, of which he muses about to no end to the henchmen under his command as well as Hamlet-style to the skull of No. 24. Perhaps the shirt is a statement of purpose concerning No. 1's ethos in regards to what Henching means. Or perhaps it's a reference to a prior episode when the Monarch is released from prison and No. 21 and No. 24 are tasked with re-staffing the Monarch's league of henchmen, in which they set up tables at a school and give the standard sort of Army/Marines/Navy recruiter shpiel, only in regards to organized villainy as opposed to military service. Perhaps it's supposed to look sleek and enticing, beckoning us to give our lives over to the service of our evil overlord.

Regardless, it's a smuuuuuurf attractive shirt and I will certainly be picking one up at the appointed time.
    144 weeks ago
    dmacias said: I know NOTHING about this show, but this makes me want to find out what it's all about so I can buy the tee. Either that or just tell people I just liked the design!

"Hey, what's Hench?"

Honestly it has some of the cleverest writing on tv. Do yourself a BIG favour and have a watch.
    144 weeks ago
    sooo bought!
    144 weeks ago
    winterArtwork said: Fury's very 1st Venture Bros inspired design!

really? dayum, I submitted mine not two days ago ...
    such an amazing show ... Doc Hammer & Jackson Publick truly are demigods ... whoch makes their lovechild Venture Bros godlike indeed
    141 weeks ago
    This just saved my ass, I love you!
    Great post!

The Venture Brothers