Back to forum
rss 145 weeks ago
I understand the purpose of the human test to prevent spam, but often times I get it perfect and it still says I have to pass the test. This is extremely frustrating when I have a long comment and can't retrieve said comment and have to type it all over again. Sure I can copy the message before pressing send, but I'd prefer if you have this human test you at least get the bugs out of it. And yes I'm 100% sure I typed the text exactly for the test. It's just annoying.
23Comments
    145 weeks ago
    This has happened to me sure, I am sure that I have typed it correctly but it still fails me. I've gotten into the habit of copying my post before submitting it, but this is no way to run a comment system.
    145 weeks ago
    Zerkaboid said: This has happened to me sure, I am sure that I have typed it correctly but it still fails me. I've gotten into the habit of copying my post before submitting it, but this is no way to run a comment system.

OK good, I thought I was the only one. I would type the words in the box and then hit submit and of course I get the epic fail message. So now what I am doing is copying my post before I submit it that way if it doesn't work, I can just paste it and try 3 more times. ( I had to do this post 3 times before it finally worked)
    145 weeks ago
    Me four. :\
    145 weeks ago
    I'm guessing there must be a timed session cookie involved. Spend too long, and you're timed out.

If you're doing a long answer, especially if you're on a cellphone:

hit 'reply' if you're replying to something specific

copy that <blockquote> text

paste it into a text / note program or application (Notes on an iPhone, etc.)

write your reply in the other program / application

Copy & Paste that into the comment box. That way, if the Human Test fails you, you can just reload the page and Copy / Paste it again into the comment box and it should accept (as reloading a page sets the clock back to zero).

(This has worked for me...)
    145 weeks ago
    I agree that it's probably a time-out issue. I've had to deal with it erasing my comments quite a bit lately, and now the shopping cart is also timing out. Today I added some shirts to my cart, worked in another window for a while, then came back to enter my checkout info. Teefury returned an error message saying my cart was empty, so I had to repeat the whole process.
    145 weeks ago
    testing human test.
    145 weeks ago
    second test. I've seen some problems too, this seems like a good place to test a few things.
    145 weeks ago
    testing human test.
    145 weeks ago
    testing human test.
    145 weeks ago
    testing human test.
    145 weeks ago
    You're not fooling anyone, khannan. I can see your spine glowing.

(I'm guessing you're leaving the window open for a set period of time, or checking other browser tabs, to see what the cut-off is. Just like the raptors, checking the fences...)

That just gave me a great idea for a design. Raptor & Daughters. Electrical system testers. Velociraptors in hard hats, testing the voltage at a fence. I'll have to think about that a little more.
    145 weeks ago
    Do not fear me. I have been one of you hu-mans for many qaptels now. I mean years! Simple hu-man years! So primitive...

really not leaving the window on for an extended period of time. Unless TF has it set to an unreasonable refresh rate. My thought is the test is failing with keyboard interface. I only seem to get it if I use the enter key instead of mouse click. Is that consistent with what others are seeing?
    145 weeks ago
    Okay, I think I may be on to something there. Granted, I am not the fastest typer (one step from hunt and peck really), but that last post failed me. I'm timing this one, see what happens.
    145 weeks ago
    That was 1.5 minutes. Holding off even longer here. La la la. Let's see what three minutes window open does. Hmm hmm..

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy slowly>

Submitting, 3:30
    145 weeks ago
    smuuuuuurf, test fail. I know the post that failed the HT wasn't over three minutes to type.

EDIT: and then this submit failed right after. This is weird.
    145 weeks ago
    Just checking it out. Spammers irritate the world.
    145 weeks ago
    The same thing has been happening to me. It's irritating as all get out.
    145 weeks ago
    wrongheaven said: The same thing has been happening to me. It's irritating as all get out.

I see The Human Test as being a good analogy for the design process.

SAVE OFTEN, AND ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP!
    145 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said:

Yes, good advice. Make lots of little backup humans!
    145 weeks ago
    Chuffy said:
    Jackpot777 said:

Yes, good advice. Make lots of little backup humans!

I call him Mini Me.
    145 weeks ago
    I'm typing this just to say, that more often than not I'll skip leaving my little nice comment entirely if it means I have to fill in a Captcha. If it says I typed on in incorrectly and my comment disappears, I just say smurf it and leave; it's not worth the effort.
    145 weeks ago
    I just copy it onto the clipboard first, then if it fails I just paste it back in. Unless it's really short and easy to remember, in which case I just type it again. Plus it's kind of fun to see what word you get for the human test; my favorite so far has been "haiprice" I think.
    144 weeks ago
    I think I have it, I open a bunch of posts in various tabs and always get it wrong, even though I knew I got it verbatim...