Back to forum
rss 146 weeks ago
So way back in feb I submitted a design to teefury, uploaded it to my devianart account and then after a few weeks to my red bubble account. then a seller on ebay started offering shirts with my design on it. This design is fanart for Samurai Jack. Me not owning Samurai Jack ebay doesn't seem to care that its my artwork or not. I hope whoever this seller is, is making more money off my design than I am, lol.

anybody have similar things happen? Know anyway to deal with it other than accepting the inevitable?
6Comments
    146 weeks ago
    It happens dude. They probably bought it from redbubble and then tried reselling it for more. It honestly happens more often with Teefury shirts though, because there's more profit to be made. They don't mention who's design it is other than if people want it they'll pay. Said person probably (and hopefully) paid for the shirt.
    146 weeks ago
    There's no way he could have bought them from RedBubble at the price / quantity he's selling them at. Send him a cease and desist email.
    146 weeks ago
    yeah he didn't buy them from me he just took my image and uploaded it and uses some other printing company to make the shirts.
    146 weeks ago
    A cease and desist letter rarely does anything, unless it is issued by a real law firm, which will cost you a few hundred dollars. Someone that is already willing to steal a design outright probably doesn't have much respect for anyone's rights anyways, and won't stop until they are faced with an actual lawsuit. I have had the same problem with ebay and other sites, where my design has been stolen and a low quality version is being sold without any permission from myself. I recently had a major chain of stores in Australia steal a top selling design of mine, and even when I hired lawyers, it was a legal mess and was going to end up costing thousands of dollars, and I probably wouldn't have even been able to get monetary damages. Unfortunately, with everything being so easily accessible over the internet and involving international laws, you have to find a better way to protect your designs if you are going to display them, or accept that things like this could happen. In addition, with the nature of parody designs, you have to be cautious of countersuits as well. If you are using a Samurai Jack copyrighted image, even in a parody, it is possible that the actual copyright owners will come knocking with a small army of lawyers and you could be facing a heap of expensive damages.
    146 weeks ago
    put a watermark on your designs, rebubble has that feature doesnt it? o:
    146 weeks ago
    watermarks don't do anything they can easily be taken off in photoshop if a counterfitter is willing to steal the design. I'm sorry that happened to you man that smurfs. On the bright side it should reinforce your confidence in your artwork because it's actually good enough to steal! haha